Student Services Information


The Records and Registration Office is responsible for the maintenance of the educational records at the University of New Mexico. This includes, but is not limited to, student transcripts, academic folders and faculty grade reports. The following information refers to some of the policies and procedures for educational records. Note: Proper photo identification (driver’s license, Lobo Card, passport or other state or federal issued identification) is required for all in-person transactions.

Use of Social Security Numbers

The Social Security Number (SSN) is not the primary University identification number. UNM is required to collect SSN in order to provide full access to services such as financial aid, to ensure an accurate academic record, and for record-keeping purposes. The University protects the confidentiality of SSN as required by law.

Access to and Confidentiality of Student Records

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) November 19, 1974

Student Records Policy

Approved by the University President 4/93. Amended 3/20/96.

  1. Introduction
    Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), students have the right to inspect and review most education records maintained about them by the University of New Mexico, and, in many cases, decide if a third person can obtain information from them. Nine categories of information, however, are public (or directory information) unless a student asks that some or all of that information be withheld. It is the policy of the University to comply fully and fairly with the provisions of the Act, Federal Regulations and this policy.
  2. Limitations on Access to Student Records
    No one inside or outside the University shall have access to, nor will the contents of students’ education records be disclosed without the written consent of the students except as provided by the Act and Regulations. Exceptions in the Act and Regulations include but are not limited to the following: personnel within the institution determined by the institution to have a legitimate educational interest, officials of other institutions in which students seek to enroll or are enrolled, persons or organizations providing student financial aid, accrediting agencies carrying out their accreditation function, persons in compliance with judicial orders and persons in an emergency when necessary to protect the health or safety of students or other persons.
  3. Students’ Right of Access to Review Their Records
    A student has the right to inspect and review all education records about him or her except: (1) personal notes (available only to writer or substitute) of University staff and faculty, (2) certain student employment records, (3) counseling records used solely for treatment, (4) certain records of the University Police, (5) parents’ financial records, (6) confidential letters and statements of recommendation placed in the records before January 1, 1975, and (7) confidential letters and statements of recommendation for admission, employment, or honorary recognition placed in the records after January 1, 1975, which students have waived the right to inspect and review.
  4. Informing Students of Their Rights
    This policy will be published in the UNM Pathfinder or its successor.
  5. Location of Student Records
    Student records are not maintained in a central location. Instead, these records are maintained by each office with which a student has contact while enrolled at the University. A partial list of places where educational records are maintained by various University offices is listed below.
    • Admissions Office, Director of Admissions, Student Success and Support Center
    • Career Counseling and Placement, Director, Career Counseling and Placement, University Advisement and Enrichment Center
    • Cashiers and Student Accounting, Bursar, University Advisement and Enrichment Center
    • Center College and Department Offices, Academic Dean, See individual college listing in the course schedule
    • Dean of Students Office, Dean of Students, University Advisement and Enrichment Center
    • Graduate Studies, Dean, Graduate Studies, Humanities Building
    • Housing Services, La Posada Hall
    • Records and Registration Office, Registrar, Student Support and Services Center
    • Student Financial Aid, Director, Student Financial Aid, Student Support and Services Center
  6. Records Excluded from the Definition “Education” or “Student” Records
    The following categories of records are not included in the term “education records” or “student records” under the Act:
    6.1. Records of instructional, supervisory, administrative and certain educational personnel which are in the sole possession of the maker and are not revealed to any other individual (except a substitute who performs on a temporary basis the duties of the person who made the record).
    6.2. Records of the University Police. These records are maintained and created by the University Police Department for the purpose of law enforcement. Their disclosure is subject to rules and regulations of the University Police, consistent with applicable law.
    6.3. Records relating to individuals who are employed by the University which are made and maintained in the normal course of business, relate exclusively to individuals in their capacity as employees and are not available for use for any other purpose. However, it should be noted that records of individuals in attendance at the University who are employed as a result of their status as students are education records and as such may be inspected by the student.
    6.4. Records which contain only information about a person after that person is no longer a student at the institution, e.g., information gathered on the accomplishments of alumni.
  7. Review Policies and Procedures
    Requests to inspect and review records must be made, in writing, to the office that keeps the records. Although it is the University’s policy that requests to inspect records be honored as promptly as possible, the offices have up to 45 days to honor such requests.
    It is the policy of the University to provide the student upon request with photocopies of her or his records where that will help the student in inspection and review of the records unless: (1) the record to be copied is an examination, in which case permission of the faculty member is necessary, or (2) where a student’s record is being withheld because of an outstanding financial obligation to the University.
    Fees for photocopies of materials in the records are the same as University offices charge for photocopies of other materials. At its option, an office may furnish copies at no charge, or take the materials to a copy/duplicating center on campus, where the current rate for cash work will be charged.
  8. Release Policies and Procedures, University Employees and Agents
    The University will not disclose personally identifiable information from a student’s education record without the student’s written consent, except when it is permitted by the Act and Regulations. As permitted by the Act and Regulations, information will be disclosed without the student’s consent to University officials with a legitimate educational interest. These officials or their agents, and their interests, include:
    8.1. Any University employee who needs the information to fulfill job responsibilities.
    8.2. University collection agents only for the purposes of collecting debts owed to the University.
    8.3. Legal counsel advising or representing the University.
    8.4. National Collegiate Athletic Association and the Mountain West Athletic Conference only for the purposes of conforming to eligibility rules for athletic competition.
    8.5. Contractors, such as data processing, only for the purposes of performing work under contract for the University.
    8.6. Honorary societies, and other chartered student organizations, only for determining membership eligibility/requirements, when the societies and/or organizations do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, age, sex, sexual preference, ancestry, or medical condition.
    8.7. University researchers, including students doing research under supervision of a faculty member, if there are safeguards to protect the security of personally identifiable data and if it will not be possible to ascertain the identity of any student in any dissemination of the data or research results.
    8.8. Officials of cooperating universities in which the student is enrolled.
  9. Release to Alleged Victims of Crimes of Violence
    The results of any disciplinary proceeding conducted by the University in response to allegations of a crime of violence allegedly committed by a student, shall be disclosed upon request to the alleged victim(s) of such crime of violence.
  10. Directory or Public Information Categories
    The University, in accord with the Act, has designated categories of information about students as “directory information” which is public unless a student asks to have all of it withheld. These categories are:
    • Name
    • Address (school and permanent)
    • Telephone listing
    • Electronic Mail Address
    • Date of birth
    • Major field of study (including current classification, year, credit load and number of academic credits earned toward degree)
    • Dates of attendance (matriculation and withdrawal dates)
    • Degrees and awards received (type of degree and date granted)
    • Most recent previous educational agency or institution attended. Participation in officially recognized activities and sports, and weight and height of members of athletic teams.
    A student wishing to keep confidential the “directory information” listed above must file a written request with the Office of the Registrar. This request may be submitted in person, by mail or fax. Once a confidential privacy flag has been place on a student’s record the directory/public information will not be released to individuals, companies or third party entities outside the University of New Mexico. The confidential privacy flag will not automatically be removed upon graduation from the University of New Mexico. If you have requested a confidential privacy flag, your name will not appear in the University of New Mexico Commencement Program.
    The removal of the confidential privacy flag may be requested in person and in writing by fax or mail. The address is Records & Registration, MSC11 6325, 1 University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001. The fax number is (505) 277-6809. The following information is needed to process the request by fax or mail: student name, social security number and signature.
  11. Requests for Disclosure
    University offices will maintain a record of disclosures and requests for disclosure of personally identifiable information from a student’s record except when the request for disclosure is directory information, pursuant to the student’s consent, or is to a school official described in this policy. It is the policy of the University to permit the student to inspect this record of disclosures and requests for disclosure pertaining to his or her records. All disclosures (except for disclosures to the student or disclosures of directory information) shall be made on the condition that the information shall not be further disclosed without the student’s consent.
  12. Right to Challenge Information in Student Records
    It is the policy of the University that a student may challenge any information in his or her education records which he or she believes to be inaccurate, misleading or in violation of privacy. This right does not extend to reviewing grades unless the grade assigned by a professor was inaccurately recorded in the records. A student may also insert a statement in the records explaining any such material from his or her point of view. If a student wishes to challenge information in the file, he or she must make a written request for a hearing to the dean, director, or chairperson of the office which maintains the record. In most cases, the decision of the dean, director or chairperson will be final. However, a student may appeal in writing to the Associate Provost or the Vice President for Health Sciences or their designee, as the case may be, who will review the decision only if a significant question of policy or compliance with the law appears to be raised by the case.
  13. Waiver of Rights Not Required
    It is the policy of the University that students not be required to waive their rights under the Act before receiving University services or benefits.
  14. Assistance with Problems or Questions about Compliance
    a. If a student has questions about the provisions of the Act, he or she may contact the Office of the Registrar.
    b. If a student believes that the University has not complied with the Act, he or she should direct comments concerning this to the Office of the Registrar.
    c. If a student believes that the University has not complied with the Act, written complaints may be filed with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act Office (FERPA), U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue, SW., Washington, D.C. 20202-4605, telephone (202) 732-1807.
    d. The Registrar shall either resolve the issue, or shall refer it to the appropriate University body for resolution.
    e. Copies of and information about the Rights and Privacy Act are available in the Records and Registration Office, Student Support and Services Center.

Disclosure of Institutional (General Student Body) Graduation/Completion and Transfer-out Rates

The University of New Mexico provides the following information regarding our institution’s graduation/completion rates. The information is provided in compliance with the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended. The rates reflect the graduation/completion status of students who enrolled during the 2004–2005 school year and for whom 150% of the normal time-to-completion has elapsed.

During the Fall Semester of 2004, 3,023 first-time, full-time, certificate or degree-seeking undergraduates entered UNM. After 6 years (as of August 31, 2010), 44.5% of these students had graduated from our institution or completed their programs.

Questions related to this report should be directed to the Enrollment Management Reporting Team, Student Success and Support Center, (505) 277-6419.

While reviewing this information, bear in mind:

  • The graduation/completion rate is based on six years of attendance that equates to 150% of our longest program.
  • We have elected not to report our transfer-out rate because our university’s mission does not include providing substantial preparation for students to enroll in other institutions.

Demographic Information Updates

Change of Address/Phone

Current students who need to process a change of address or phone number for their academic records may do so using LoboWeb, Personal Information– Update My Information.

Change of Name

Students who need to process a name change for their academic records must bring appropriate documentation to the Records and Registration Office. The appropriate documentation includes proper photo identification (valid driver’s license, passport or other state or federal issued identification) and the social security card showing the new name. No other type of documentation will be accepted.

Lobo Card and LOBOCA$H

A non-transferable photo identification card is issued to each student at the University of New Mexico. The ID card, also known as the Lobo Card, allows students to check out materials from UNM libraries; access recreational services, the Student Health Center, athletic events, and campus meal plans.

The Lobo Card can also be used to access the student LOBOCA$H account. LOBOCA$H is a prepaid spending account with a balance that declines each time it is used (by swiping your Lobo Card) to make purchases at the food venues of the SUB, UNM vending machines, campus convenience stores, residence hall laundry facilities, La Posada, UNM Bookstores, and select copying machines. Visit for additional information.

The Lobo Card Office is located in the Student Union Building. The phone number is (505) 277-9970 and the Web site is The following policies are in effect for the Lobo Card:

  1. The Lobo Card is the property of the University of New Mexico.
  2. The card is valid upon admission to the University; it is issued once, and is active upon a student’s enrollment for the current semester. The Lobo Card remains valid for the duration of a student’s college career and it activates and deactivates according to enrollment status. Lobo Card has no expiration date. You may obtain your ID at the Lobo Card office. Proper photo identification (driver’s license, passport, other state/federal-issued identification, etc.) is required.
  3. Lobo Cards are issued with the name of the student as recorded in the University’s Student Information System.
  4. Updating name or other student identifying information requires the change be reported to the Records and Registration Office prior to Lobo Card re-issuance.
  5. Lost or stolen Lobo Cards must be reported as soon as possible to the Lobo Card Office.
    a. A non-refundable, non-waiveable fee will be collected for replacement of damaged or lost cards.
    b. Payment of a replacement fee constitutes authority for the de-activation and deletion of the missing identification card from the University of New Mexico’s card database. Once that occurs, the old Lobo Card can never be reactivated.
    c. Students should check with the card office to see if a lost card has been turned in.
    d. Stolen cards should be reported to the appropriate law enforcement agency. A copy of the police report must be provided to the Lobo Card office to obtain a replacement identification card at no charge. Anyone filing a false police report will be subject to disciplinary and/or criminal charges.
    e. LOBOCA$H purchasing activity can be suspended immediately, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, via the Web site. LOBOCA$H activity can be suspended via telephone only Monday–Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:45 p.m., by calling (505) 277-9970.
  6. Fraudulent use of a Lobo Card is cause for card privileges to be revoked. Unauthorized alteration, production, use, possession or reproduction of a Lobo Card is prohibited, may constitute theft, and can result in prosecution (30-14-2 NMSA 1978). In addition, such action could result in referral to the Dean of Students Office for disciplinary proceedings and/or appropriate authorities for legal action.


Summary of Regulations for New Mexico Residency for Tuition Purposes

A student who enters and remains in this State principally to obtain an education is presumed to continue to reside outside this state, and such presumption continues in effect until rebutted by clear and convincing evidence of bona fide residence. A student determined to be financially dependent on an out-of-state parent or guardian also assumes the residency of that parent or guardian. The “burden of proof” is on the student. The student must secure and file the residency petition with the appropriate documents of evidence in the manner described herein. All documents submitted for this purpose are kept confidential. Residency petitions are accepted until the second Friday of each Fall and Spring semester (and Summer term for Nursing students) in the Mesa Vista Hall North One-Stop or at the Student Support and Services Center.

To become a legal resident for tuition purposes of the State of New Mexico, the student must meet four basic requirements. Each person must individually meet the requirements.

The 12-Month Consecutive Presence Requirement
A student must physically reside in the state for 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the term for which the
student submits a petition.

The Financial Independence Requirement
A student who is financially dependent on parents or legal guardians who are not residents of New Mexico cannot be approved for residency. At the time the student petitions for residency (if under 23 years of age), a copy of the parents’ or guardians’ 1040 or 1040A U.S. income tax form for the previous year must be submitted with the petition. If shown to be a dependent on that tax form, the student is not eligible to establish residency apart from the parents or guardians.

The Written Declaration of Intent Requirement
The student must sign a written declaration of intent to relinquish residency in another state and to establish it in New Mexico (included in residency petition).

The Overt Acts Requirement
Overt acts are required to evidence support of the written declaration of intent to establish permanent residency in New Mexico. Any act considered inconsistent with being a New Mexico resident, such as having a driver’s license from another state, will cause the request for resident classification to be denied. Documentation of two of the following must be submitted with the residency petition:

  1. If the applicant is financially dependent, a copy of the parents’ or guardians’ previous year income tax form showing the applicant as a dependent and the parents’ address as New Mexico;
  2. A New Mexico high school transcript issued in the past year confirming attendance at a New Mexico public or private high school within the past 12 months;
  3. A transcript from an online high school showing a New Mexico address confirming attendance within the past 12 months;
  4. A New Mexico driver’s license or ID card with an original date of issue or a renewal date issued prior to the first day of the term or semester;
  5. Proof of payment of New Mexico state income tax for the previous year;
  6. Evidence of employment within the state of New Mexico;
  7. New Mexico vehicle registration;
  8. Voter registration in New Mexico;
  9. Proof of residential property ownership in New Mexico;
  10. A rental agreement within New Mexico;
  11. Utility bills showing the applicant name and a New Mexico address;
  12. Other evidence which would reasonably support the individual’s intent to establish and maintain New Mexico residency.

Any act considered inconsistent with being a New Mexico resident will cause the request for resident classification to be denied. As such, other relevant factors may be considered in addition to the items listed above.


  1. Any act considered inconsistent with being a New Mexico resident, such as voting, securing and/or maintaining a driver’s license and automobile registration in another state, etc., will cause the petition to be denied.
  2. A person who has moved to New Mexico and has obtained permanent full-time employment (sufficient documentation is required) and his/her spouse and dependent children shall not be required to complete the
    12-month durational requirement. However, all other requirements must be satisfied.
  3. Active duty military members stationed in New Mexico, their spouses and dependents are eligible for waivers of non-resident tuition. Members of the National Guard, their spouses and dependents are also eligible for waivers of non-resident tuition. A form must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar by the second Friday of the term to obtain these waivers.

According to the University of New Mexico’s tuition policy:

Students enrolling for 6 hours or fewer during a regular semester are charged resident tuition rates regardless of residency classification.  (Note:  This waiver will be eliminated after the Fall 2011 term.)

Students enrolling for the summer session are charged resident tuition rates regardless of residency classification (except those in the College of Nursing).  (Note:  This waiver will be eliminated after the Summer 2011 term.)

The residency petition and a brochure that explains all requirements for establishing New Mexico residency for tuition purposes and all special status waivers are available from the Office of the Registrar, Student Support and Services Center. For more information visit

Academic Advisement

All undergraduate students (including new freshman) who are admitted to the University but have not yet met the requirements to enter a degree-granting college are monitored by University Advisement Center. This office is responsible for applying the academic regulations of the University and providing academic advisement for these students. When they have satisfactorily completed a minimum of 26 semester hours and have met all prerequisites of the college they wish to enter, they may transfer to one of the degree-granting programs of the University.

Academic advisement is also required for all freshman and new undergraduate transfer students with 26 or fewer transferable hours prior to registration. The School of Engineering, University College and the College of Education require advisement every semester prior to registration. All students who are admitted to or who transfer into University Studies (Bachelor of University Studies Program) are required to receive academic advisement their first enrolled semester.

Advisement centers are located in each of the degree-granting colleges. Students enrolled at the University are urged to regularly take advantage of all available academic advisement services.

College Advisement Centers

(Associate, Baccalaureate, Majors and Concentrations)

Anderson Schools of Management
Office: Advisement Center, First Floor, East Wing
(505) 277-3888

Accounting, Entrepreneurial Studies, Financial Management, General Management, Interdisciplinary Film and Digital Media, International Management, Management Information Systems, Marketing Management, Human Resources Management, Production and Operations Management, Travel and Tourism Management, Public Administration

School of Architecture and Planning
Office: Pearl Hall 114
(505) 277-2903

Architecture, Environmental Design, Community and Regional Planning, Landscape Architecture

College of Arts & Sciences
Office: University Advisement and Enrichment Center
Rm. 135
(505) 277-4621

Students currently enrolled at A&S in one of the following departments please seek advisement with the A&S Advisement Center and/or their department of major. Prospective students that lack requirements for admission should go to University Advisement Center or their intended major department.

Africana Studies; American Studies; Anthropology; Art; Asian Studies; Astrophysics; Biochemistry; Biology; Chemistry; Classical Studies; Communication; Comparative Literature; Criminology; Earth & Planetary Sciences; Economics; Economics-Philosophy; English; English-Philosophy; Environmental Science; European Studies; Family Studies; French; Geography; German; Health, Medicine, and Human Values; History; International Studies; Journalism; Languages; Latin American Studies; Linguistics; Mass Communication; Mathematics; Philosophy; Physics Political Science; Portuguese; Psychology; Religious Studies; Russian; Russian Studies; Signed Language Interpreting; Sociology; Spanish; Speech and Hearing Sciences; Statistics; Women Studies.

College of Education
Office: Hokona Hall 134
(505) 277-3190

Art Education, Athletic Training, Bilingual Education (Secondary), Human Development and Family Relations, Communication Arts Education (Secondary), Early Childhood Multicultural Education, Elementary Education (including Teaching Field Endorsement), Exercise Science, Family Studies, Health Education, Languages (German, French, Spanish–Secondary), Mathematics Education (Secondary), Nutrition/Dietetics, Physical Education (K–12), Science Education (Earth Science, Life Science, Physical Science–Secondary), Social Studies Education (Secondary), Special Education, Teaching English as a Second Language (Secondary), Technology and Training.

School of Engineering
Office: CEC 2080
(505) 277-4354

Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Construction Engineering, Construction Management, Electrical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering and Robotics Option, Mechanical Engineering, Nuclear Engineering, Pre-Major Program

College of Fine Arts
Office: CA 1103
(505) 277-4817

Art History, Art Studio, Dance, Design for Performance, Interdisciplinary Film and Digital Media, Media Arts, Music, Music Education, Theatre

College of Nursing
Office: NRPH 152
(505) 272-4223


College of Pharmacy
Office: NRPH 188
(505) 272-0583


University Advisement
Office: University Advisement and Enrichment Center
Suite 105
(505) 277-2631

Bachelor of University Studies, Comprehensive Academic Advisement, Exploratory/Undecided Students, Introductory Studies Courses, Freshman Academic Choices, Sophomore Seminars in Career Awareness, Research Service Learning Program (open to all undergraduates), Non-degree

Diagnostic and Therapeutic Sciences

Dental Hygiene (B.S.), Novitski Hall 204 (505) 272-4513; Emergency Medicine, 2700 Yale SE, Suite 100 (505) 272-5757; Medical Laboratory Sciences,
HSSB 217 (505) 272-5434; Nuclear Medicine Imaging, Surge Suite 251 (505) 272-1402; Occupational Therapy, HSSB 215 (505) 272-1753; Physical Therapy, HSSB 204 (505) 272-5755; Physician Assistant Program, HSSP 217 (505) 272-5254; Radiography Program, HSSB 217 (505) 272-5254

Medical School (Admissions)
Office: BMSB 106
(505) 272-4766

Schedule of Classes

The Schedule of Classes is an official online publication of the Office of the Registrar. The publication includes course offerings, dates, times, class locations and procedures for registration and other important information. The schedule can be accessed online at


Registration Procedures

Details are outlined online in the Schedule of Classes at

Payment of Tuition and Fees

Payment of tuition and fees is required to complete registration. For specific information regarding tuition, fees, payment and payment deadline dates refer to the Financial Information section of the current online Schedule of Classes at

Course Load Guidelines


1. Fall/Spring Semesters
a. Full-time: 12 or more credit hours.
b. Half-time: 6–11 credit hours.
c. Less than half-time: 5 or fewer credit hours.

2. Summer Session
a. Full-time: 6 or more credit hours.
b. College of Nursing full-time: 12 or more credit hours.
c. Half-time: 3-5 credit hours.
d. College of Nursing half-time: 6-11 credit hours.
e. Less than half-time: 1 or 2 credit hours.
f. College of Nursing less than half-time: 5 or fewer credit hours.

Graduate Students

1. Fall/Spring Semesters
a. Full-time: 9 or more credit hours.
6 credit hours and an assistantship.
b. Half-time: 5–8 credit hours.
c. Less than half-time: 4 or fewer credit hours.

2. Summer Session
a. Full-time: 6 or more credit hours 3 credit hours and an assistantship.
b. College of Nursing full-time: 9 or more credit hours 6 credit hours and an assistantship.
c. Half-time: 3-5 credit hours.
d. College of Nursing half-time 5-8 credit hours.
e. Less than half-time: 1 or 2 credit hours.
f. College of Nursing less than half-time: 4 or fewer credit hours.

Students withdrawing after the grade required deadline will be subject to grades of WP (withdrawal passing) or WF (withdrawal failing). The grade WF is included in the total course load. WP is not included in the total course load. Courses taken in Audit status are also not included in total course load.

Enrollment Limit

Students may not take more than 18 hours during a semester and 9 hours during the summer session, except with approval from the student’s academic advisor. Summer enrollment limit for College of Nursing students is 18 hours. Students in non-degree status who have not earned at least a baccalaureate-level degree must contact the University Advisement Center at (505) 277-2631 to discuss enrollment limitations and options.

Addition of Correspondence or Extension Courses to Program. A resident student may enroll for correspondence and extension courses only when the addition of such courses does not cause their course load to be over the maximum.

Registration Restrictions

Prerequisite and Corequisite Requirements

The University of New Mexico checks prerequisites on all courses numbered 100 – 499. If a student does not have the required prerequisite(s), he/she will not be able to register for the specific course. All prerequisites must be completed with a “C” or better letter grade, unless otherwise identified by the academic department/unit offering the course.

Co-requisite checking occurs for all courses numbered 100 – 499. A student will not be able to register for one course without the other course. Registration for co-requisite courses must be done at the same time.

Additional Restrictions

Colleges and Departments may further restrict access to their courses based on Campus, Classification, College, Degree, Level, Major, Program and/or Special permission requirements. Overrides for these errors may be obtained from the Department offering the course or from the instructor (in most cases). For more information, see FastInfo answer #4060 at

Enrollment Certification

Enrollment Certifications are requested by individuals, institutions or organizations for information related to a student’s past or current enrollment. Information requested normally takes the form of validation of confirmed degrees, dates of attendance or whether a student is enrolled full- or part-time.

The National Student Clearinghouse is the University of New Mexico’s authorized agent for providing enrollment and degree verifications. If an employer or background screening firm requests this information, refer them to the National
Student Clearinghouse at (703) 742-4200 or

Verification forms from financial lenders should be sent directly to the National Student Clearinghouse for fastest response.

The University of New Mexico will produce an Enrollment Certificate validating a student’s status for the current semester, or a pre-registered (one week prior to start of classes) semester. If a student wishes to have their entire academic history certified or semesters not covered by the certification process, the student must request a transcript. The University of New Mexico does not certify expected graduation date.

The certification document can be mailed on request or may be picked up with proper photo identification (driver’s license, Lobo Card, passport or other state issue identification). The Enrollment Certificate will replace the institutionally specific forms. The Course Load Guidelines above are used to determine enrollment status for financial aid eligibility and loan deferments. Graduate students with an assistantship must submit a copy of their contract with their verification request.

Changes in Enrollment

Once registered, students may process schedule changes during appropriate periods through the drop/add procedures. Procedures for schedule changes and deadlines are online in the Schedule of Classes at Changes made after deadlines are subject to late transaction fees.

Summer Session and Short Courses. Deadlines for processing drops, adds, withdrawals and grade options for summer and short courses vary according to the length of the course. Consult the online Schedule of Classes at for specific dates.

For 16-week courses, the following applies:

Add. A student may add courses or change sections through the second week of the semester.

Drop. A student may drop a course or courses without a grade during the first three weeks of the semester.

Withdrawal from a Course. After the third week a student may withdraw from a course until the end of the 12th week of the semester and is subject to grades of WP or WF to be determined by the instructor at the time of the withdrawal. The WF is calculated as a failing grade in the student’s grade point average. After the 12th week, course withdrawals are only accepted with approval from the dean or director of the student’s college. No withdrawals are accepted after the last day of instruction of the semester, prior to final exam week.

NOTE: Faculty are not responsible for dropping students who do not attend. It is the student’s responsibility to check the accuracy of their course schedule.

Change in Grading Option. Changes in grading option (including audit, pass-fail (CR/NC) option, letter grade or graduate credit option) in any course may be made through the fourth week of the semester.

Students are responsible for ensuring they are registered in any course for the proper grading option.

Completion of Courses. Students are responsible for completion of all courses in which they are enrolled at the University. Changes in enrollment, drops or withdrawals must be officially processed. A student who does not follow proper course or University withdrawal procedures may be given a failing grade and is responsible for tuition changes associated with the course.

Grade Options


A student may register to audit a course, with written permission of the instructor. (See current Schedule of Classes online at for deadlines.) A student who fails to attend class may be dropped at the instructor’s request. The fee for audited courses is the same as for credit courses.

Audit enrollment receives no credit and is not included in the student’s total course load for purposes of enrollment certification and financial aid enrollment requirements. Audited courses appear on the academic record. Courses taken for Audit may be repeated for credit.

Pass/Fail (CR/NC) Option

  1. This grading option is open to students enrolling in courses that do not apply to their major.
  2. A student is permitted to enroll in a maximum of 4 credit hours per semester under the pass/fail (CR/NC)
    grading option.
  3. CR (credit) is the equivalent of at least a grade of C. Students who do not satisfactorily complete a course under pass/fail (CR/NC) grading will receive NC (no credit).
  4. A course may be changed to the pass/fail (CR/NC) grade option. See the current Schedule of Classes online at for deadlines.
  5. A maximum of 24 credit hours graded pass/fail (CR/NC) will be allowed toward a baccalaureate degree. Graduate students may not count more than 6 hours of course work in which a C (2.0), C+ (2.33) or CR was earned.
  6. Courses which are specifically approved for pass/fail (CR/NC) grading are not included in the 24-hour maximum allowed toward degree requirements.
  7. The following may not be taken under the pass/fail (CR/NC) option:
    a. Courses in the University Honors Program and the Undergraduate Seminar Program.
    b. Courses that are part of the student’s major (as defined by the major department) with the exception of those courses especially approved for use of pass/fail (CR/NC) grading.
    c. Courses that are part of the student’s minor (see specific college and departmental requirements).
    d. Correspondence courses.
    e. Courses the student is repeating after first taking the course under the regular grading system.

Some schools, scholarship committees and honorary societies do not accept this grading system and convert grades of “Credit” to C and “No Credit” to F when computing grade point averages, or may otherwise penalize students who use this option.

NOTE: Students may not be penalized by a department if, when selecting or changing a major field, they have taken a course in their major on a pass/fail (CR/NC) option basis.

Pass/Fail (CR/NC) Option for Graduate Students

No more than 6 credit hours of course work in which a grade of C (2.0), C+ (2.33) or CR (grading option selected by student) was earned may be credited toward a graduate degree. Courses offered only on a CR/NC basis and required by the graduate program are excluded from this limitation.

A graduate student has the option of enrolling in courses on a Pass/Fail (CR/NC) basis. However, if a graduate student with undergraduate deficiencies is required by the major department to take a lower-division course, the pass/fail (CR/NC) option is not available to the student.

Graduate Credit Option

For Undergraduate Students

Although courses numbered 500 and above are intended for graduate study, senior undergraduate students may receive undergraduate credit in such courses. Students must obtain advance approval from the course instructor and their college academic advisor.

To enroll in a graduate-level course for graduate credit, an undergraduate must first meet the following requirements:

  1. Be within 10 hours of earning the baccalaureate degree;
  2. Have an overall cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0; and
  3. Enroll in no more than 9 hours of graduate credit during that semester (6 credits during summer session).

When these requirements are met, the student must complete a Graduate Credit Authorization card, signed by the instructor, their college advisement office and the Office of Graduate Studies and submit it to the Records and Registration Office. The courses taken apply toward an advanced degree after completion of the baccalaureate. The same course cannot be counted for both graduate and undergraduate credit.

NOTE: Undergraduates may not enroll in graduate “problems” courses for undergraduate credit.

For Non-Degree Students

No special action needs to be taken by non-degree students who wish to enroll in courses numbered 500 or higher, as these courses automatically carry graduate credit. To receive graduate credit for an approved 300 or 400 level course, a non-degree student must obtain signatures from the course instructor and the Office of Graduate Studies on a Graduate Credit Authorization card available at the Office of Graduate Studies. Non-degree, graduate-level course work may be transferred into a graduate degree program on a limited basis.

Withdrawal from the University

  • Students can withdraw from all courses through the end of the twelfth week if no holds exist on their account by using LoboWeb At the beginning of the thirteenth week, a student who is withdrawing from all courses must have approval from the Dean of Students Office. Students may contact the Dean of Students Office, (505) 277-3361, TDD (505) 277-6053, e-mail for advisement on withdrawal from all courses.
  • Summer Session and Short Courses. Deadlines for processing withdrawals for summer and short courses vary according to the length of the course. Consult the online Schedule of Classes at for specific dates.
  • Students who withdraw during the first three weeks (regular full semester) of classes do not receive a grade notation on their academic records. The notation on a student’s record is “Withdrew” followed by the date.
  • University withdrawals initiated after the third-week (regular full semester) of classes are subject to grades of WP or WF. The WF is calculated as a failing grade in the student’s grade point average. All withdrawal grades are assigned by the instructor upon completion of the University withdrawal process. The notation on a student’s record is “Withdrew” followed by the date, along with the course name and grade assigned.
  • Students leaving the University during a semester without withdrawing according to this regulation are subject to faculty assigned grades.
  • Students are responsible for all outstanding financial obligations when withdrawing. See the “Tuition Refund Deadlines” section for more information.

Policy on Military Withdrawals

Under faculty regulations, students who formally withdraw from the University before the end of the 12th week of the semester due to military obligations are entitled to a grade of WP in each course in which they are enrolled. Military orders or evidence of enlistment must be made available to the Dean of Students Office. A student who withdraws due to military obligations after completing 12 weeks of instruction receives full credit for each enrolled course provided the instructor certifies a grade of C or better for the course at the date of formal withdrawal. If the instructor certifies a grade of less than C, the students receives a grade of WP. The student must opt for either a tuition refund or for a grade assignment after the 12th week. A final semester senior who has satisfactorily completed at least half of the work for enrolled courses, provided these would complete degree requirements, may be certified for graduation by the faculty of their college. Visit for a “Request For Military Withdrawal” Form in order to initiate the Military Withdrawal process.


Class Hours and Credit Hours

A class hour consists of 50 minutes. One class hour per week of recitation or lecture throughout a semester earns a maximum of 1 credit hour.

Course Numbering System

Courses offered at the University are numbered from 001 through 999:

  • 001 to 100 courses may or may not carry credit but are not applicable to a baccalaureate degree.
  • 101 to 199 courses, lower-division, normally are open to freshmen.
  • 200 to 299 courses, lower-division, normally are open to sophomores.
  • 300 to 499 courses, upper-division, normally are open to juniors, seniors and graduates.
  • 500 to 999, graduate and professional, normally are open only to students enrolled in the graduate degree programs, the School of Law, College of Pharmacy, or the Doctor of Medicine program.

NOTE: Undergraduate or non-degree students without a degree may not enroll in any graduate problems for undergraduate credit.

  • Technical, vocational or special courses are applicable for baccalaureate credit only upon petition to and approval from the University of New Mexico degree granting unit.

Freshmen may in some instances qualify for courses numbered in the 200s. Courses numbered 300 and above are not open to lower-division students (freshmen and sophomores) except in rare instances, and then only with the approval of the college dean. When appropriate, students may be disenrolled from courses numbered 200 and above. See the individual college sections of this catalog for specific regulations.

Official Transcripts

The fee for each official transcript requested is $5.00.  There are additional fees for electronic and telephone orders.

Official transcripts may be held for financial reasons and will not be released until the student’s outstanding financial obligations to the University have been paid or until satisfactory payment arrangements have been made. All financial arrangements are handled in the Bursar’s Office.

You may come to Mesa Vista North One-Stop or the Student Success and Support Center to request and/or pick up your transcript. Official transcripts take 3-5 working days to complete. Proper photo identification (driver’s license, Lobo Card, passport or other state or federal issued identification) is required when ordering and picking up transcripts in person.

Unofficial Transcripts

Current students may access their unofficial transcripts on LoboWeb,

Unofficial transcripts are free with a maximum of three copies per request.

You may come to Mesa Vista North One-Stop or the Student Success and Support Center to request and/or pick up your unofficial transcript.  Proper photo identification (driver’s license, Lobo Card, passport or other state or federal issued identification) is required when ordering and picking up transcripts in person.

Transcript Requests

Both current and former students may request official transcripts online at

You may mail requests to:

Office of the Registrar
ATTN: Transcript Request
MSC11 6325
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
Fax: 505-277-6809

Mailed requests must include the following information:

  • Student signature
  • Date of request
  • Current/previous name(s)
  • Social Security Number/UNM ID
  • Date of birth
  • Dates of attendance
  • Current address
  • Daytime telephone number
  • Address to which the transcript is to be sent
  • For Official Transcripts only: check or money order

Official transcripts are printed on security paper which will indicate “Copy” when faxed.  Electronic transcripts cannot be photocopied or printed.

Other Exclusions

  • E-mail requests cannot be honored.
  • Another person may not request or pick-up a student's transcripts without specific written authorization from that student.
  • The University of New Mexico will not provide copies of test scores or transcripts of academic work from other institutions. You must contact the original institution for that information.


Grade Notification

Semester grades are available via LoboWeb Grades are posted nightly as they are entered by the instructor. Final semester GPA calculations, Dean's List determinations and probation/suspension decisions are processed one week after the last official day of the semester.


The University of New Mexico utilizes a fractionated grading system. Following are the allowable grades and associated grade points:

A+ 4.33
A 4.00
A- 3.67
B+ 3.33
B 3.00
B- 2.67
C+ 2.33
C 2.00
C- 1.67
D+ 1.33
D 1.00
D- 0.67
F 0.00
CR Credit. Gives credit for the course, but is not computed into the grade point average. CR is the equivalent of at least a grade of C. At the graduate level CR is used to report completion of a master's thesis or doctoral dissertation. (See the following pages for specific information concerning pass/fail [CR/NC] option grading.)
NC No Credit. Not computed into the grade point average. At the graduate level NC is also used to report unsatisfactory completion of a master's thesis or doctoral dissertation. Certain workshops and courses may be offered under CR and NC as defined above.
PR Progress. Used to indicate that a thesis or dissertation is in progress, but not complete. In the semester when the thesis or dissertation is completed, CR or NC is reported.

Incomplete. Given only when circumstances beyond the student's control have prevented completion of the work of a course within the official dates of a session. (See the policy on Removal of Incomplete.)

AUDIT Recorded for completion of enrollment in an audited course. No credit is earned for an audit grade option.
WP Withdrawal Passing. Course withdrawals after the grade required deadline are subject to the grade of WP, if passing the course at the time of withdrawal.
WF Withdrawal Failing. Course withdrawals after the grade required deadline are subject to the grade of WF, if failing the course at the time of withdrawal. The grade of WF is calculated as a failing grade in the student's grade point average.
WNC Withdrawal No Credit. Not computed in the grade point average. WNC indicates an official withdrawal in a pass/fail (CR/NC) enrollment option or course approved for pass/fail (CR/NC) grading.
W Withdrawal. Used for approved administrative withdrawals only at the end of a semester. Examples of administrative withdrawals include: determination by the instructor that the student never attended the class, processing errors, catastrophic illness of the student or other reasons beyond the student's control.
RS Reinstatement. Not computed in the grade point average; no credit is earned. An RS grade is used for approved retroactive enrollment in a 599 or a 699 course when the student did not complete any work on the thesis or dissertation.
  NOTE: Graduate students may not be assigned C-, D+, D or D- grades.

Grade Point Average. An undergraduate student’s grade point average is calculated by dividing the total number of quality grade points earned at the University of New Mexico by the total number of hours attempted, and truncated by two decimals. These hours must be attempted in courses with letter grades and the courses must be numbered 100 or above. Courses for undergraduate students given a grade of W, WP, WNC, CR, NC, PR, AUD, or I are excluded in the grade point average calculation. For graduate students, the Office of Graduate Studies, internally for their record keeping processes, calculates a grade of “I” as a 2.0 until replaced by another letter grade.

Beginning Fall 2006 the academic transcript reflects a level GPA. The courses a student takes becomes a part of the level to which the student has been admitted. If a student is in an associate degree program the level will be associate degree, and all the courses taken in that level are reflected in the associate GPA. Courses that are not remedial or technical are also calculated into the undergraduate GPA. If the student is in a bachelor’s degree program, the courses taken in that status are calculated in the undergraduate GPA. The various levels are Associate, Undergraduate, Graduate, Non-Degree Undergraduate and Non-Degree Graduate. Each level has a GPA.

The academic standing of all students is reviewed at the end of each semester and Summer session in accordance with the regulations of their college. Enrollment in late starting, correspondence or other off-pattern courses may prevent awarding of Dean’s List if grades are not submitted prior to end of term processing. Dean's List indication on a student's academic record is noted when GPA calculations are determined one week after the official last day of the semester.

NOTE: This is a general University of New Mexico grade point calculation. Schools and colleges within the University may compute the grade point average differently.

Grades earned in courses taken at other institutions are not included in calculation of the University of New Mexico grade point average. The grade point average will reflect only courses taken at the University of New Mexico.

Incomplete (I) Grade

According to academic policy, incomplete grades must be completed before a student is eligible to graduate from the University of New Mexico.

The grade of “I” is given only when circumstances beyond the student’s control have prevented completion of the coursework within the official dates of a semester/session.

Students should not re-enroll or re-register (for credit) in a course in which an incomplete has been received in order to resolve the “I” (incomplete) grade. If an instructor requires the student to repeat the class in order to resolve the Incomplete, the student must register for the course on an audit basis.

Incomplete grades received must be resolved no later than one year (twelve months) from the published end day of the semester in which the grade was assigned. Incomplete grades not resolved within the time frame stated in this policy are automatically converted to an F (failure) grade.

Students who resolve Incompletes in the semester of graduation must have the process completed (including the reporting of the grade to the Records and Registration Office, by the deadline. Students are responsible for informing instructors that they are graduating and the grade(s) must be reported by the appropriate deadline. Failure to complete the process as described could result in the postponement of graduation until the following semester.

The instructor of record reports the final grade for the course in which the Incomplete was assigned to the Records and Registration Office. Graduate students see the section on Graduate Programs related to this policy.

Extension of Incomplete

A student may apply for an extension of the time allowed to complete the course work required to remove the “I” grade. The request for extension may be obtained in the Records and Registration Office. A student who re-enrolls in residence may be granted a one-semester extension. If an extension is granted, it is the student’s responsibility to ensure the “I” grade is removed by the date indicated. Graduate students are required to obtain the additional signature of the Dean of Graduate Studies. The request form must be submitted no later than the last day of the term.

Repetition of a Course

A student may repeat any course but only receives credit once,  unless otherwise noted in this catalog. ALL ATTEMPTS and ALL GRADES are computed in the student’s grade point average. A grade replacement policy is available for repeated course work as described below.

Grade Replacement Policy

The course repeat policy was revised by the Faculty Senate to include a grade replacement option effective Spring semester 1991. Under this policy, only undergraduate students may repeat a course for a higher grade and have the lower grade removed from the grade point average. This revision is an option for students who meet the criteria outlined below. Repeated courses for students who do not meet the criteria, or who choose not to make use of the option, automatically fall under the existing policy as described under “Repetition of a Course.”

The following outlines the procedure for the implementation of this course repeat (grade replacement) option. NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE TO THIS POLICY.

  1. The Grade Replacement policy is effective as of Spring semester 1991 and affects only the University of New Mexico course work from Spring 1991 forward. This means that the first attempt in a course cannot have been prior to Spring semester 1991. The policy is not retroactive to any semester prior to Spring 1991.
    * A student who fails a course at the University of New Mexico and repeats the same course with a grade of C or better at another college or university may have the credit accepted for transfer, but the grade received at the University of New Mexico will continue to be computed in the grade point average.
  2. Students in undergraduate status are eligible to use this policy, and only course work that applies to an undergraduate degree is considered for a grade replacement.
  3. A repeated course must result in an improved grade in order to replace the other grade (e.g., a D cannot replace a D). The higher grade removes the lower grade from the grade point average and earned credit hours. Grades of CR, NC, PR, WP and W are not replaceable grades since they do not affect the grade point average.
  4. The process is not automatic. Students must initiate the process by completing a form in the Records and Registration Office, indicating which course is to be replaced. The course numbers and titles must be identical, except where equivalencies or a change has been noted in the University of New Mexico Catalog. Substitute courses are not acceptable. Forms are accepted after the second attempt in the course has been completed.
  5. A grade replacement may be applied only to 12 hours of repeated course work. Only one grade replacement is allowed for each course, regardless of the number of times the course has been repeated.
  6. Once a grade replacement has been approved, the process cannot be reversed or changed.
  7. No grade may be replaced after a degree has been awarded.
  8. All grades remain on the record. An “E” appears on the transcript next to the course that has been replaced.
  9. Students registering for a late starting Fall course cannot use the Grade Replacement Policy to replace a grade within that same Fall Semester.

NOTE: This policy applies only to courses taken and repeated at the University of New Mexico.

Graduate students wishing to replace grades must follow the Graduate Grade Replacement Policy in the Graduate Program section of this Catalog.

Change of Grade

The instructor of a course is responsible for any grade reported. Once a grade has been reported to the Records and Registration Office, the instructor may change it by submitting an Instructor Initiated Grade Change and Incomplete Removal form to the Records and Registration Office. Only the instructor who issued the original grade (instructor of record) may submit a change. The grade change must be approved by the college dean or departmental chairperson if submitted 30 days after end of semester. Any change in grade must be reported within 12 months after the original grade was issued and prior to graduation. Grade changes may be referred to the Admissions and Registration Committee of the Faculty Senate for approval.

Grade Petition Procedure

  1. A student seeking retroactive withdrawal, enrollment, or a grade option change; or further academic record changes involving exceptions to the rules governing registration and academic records, may submit petitions to Records and Registration in the Mesa Vista North One-Stop or the Student Success and Support Center. This petition process does not cover disputes involving academic judgement (Refer to the UNM Pathfinder, “Student Grievance Procedure,” Article 2, Academic Disputes).
  2. The petition must state the nature of the request, specify the semester involved, the course and section number, the student’s name, identification number, mailing address and telephone number. It must include documentation of extenuating circumstances, such as medical, family or employment needs. The petition must be typed and signed.
  3. A student may only petition grades up to one year after an instructor and dean grade change form can be utilized to change a grade. (Effective as of April 2005 as approved by Faculty Senate Operations Committee.) This means no grade change can be petitioned after two years in which the course(s) was/were taken.
  4. Upon receipt of student’s petition, the instructor(s) involved is contacted for a statement concerning the request.
  5. The petition (along with instructor comments) is forwarded to the Grade Petition Subcommittee of the Faculty Senate Admission and Records Committee for review and decision. If the petition is approved, appropriate modifications are made to the student record.
  6. The student is notified in writing of the outcome of the petition. The decision of the subcommittee is final.
  7. The student is responsible for tuition and fees incurred.

Academic Renewal Policy

Academic Renewal applies to students seeking undergraduate degrees who have been readmitted to the University of New Mexico after an absence of five years or more. The procedure allows a currently enrolled student to request an academic record review for the purpose of reevaluating previously-earned University of New Mexico credits and recalculating the student’s grade point average from the point of readmission.

The student may obtain a petition from Records and Registration, Mesa Vista North One-Stop, or Student Support and Services Center. If all criteria are satisfied, the petition will be approved and the academic record appropriately noted.


Academic Renewal Guidelines

NOTE: Non-degree, second undergraduate degree, graduate students, or students who hold an Associate’s degree from The University of New Mexico are not eligible for Academic Renewal.

  1. Academic Renewal may be applied only once and is not reversible.
  2. An absence of five or more years must have elapsed between readmission and the last date of enrollment at the University of New Mexico.
  3. The student must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree program. Additionally, college entrance requirements such as minimum hours and grade point average must still be met after Academic Renewal has been applied.
  4. After readmission to the University of New Mexico, at least 12 earned credit hours, but no more than 36 earned credit hours, must be completed in good standing (2.00 GPA or better) before Academic Renewal can be applied.
    NOTE: If the degree-granting unit has placed the student on probationary status, it is not automatically changed by Academic Renewal.
  5. All graduation requirements must be satisfied after Academic Renewal, i.e., minimum earned credit, residence credit requirement, cumulative grade point average, etc.
    NOTE: Credit earned prior to Academic Renewal does count toward the residence credit requirements.
  6. All courses taken prior to Academic Renewal remain unaltered on the record. An appropriate notation is added to the record to indicate Academic Renewal. Courses with a grade of C or CR or better taken prior to Academic Renewal are carried forward as earned credits. Application of these credits towards a degree is determined by the degree-granting unit.
  7. Courses with a grade of C- or below taken prior to Academic Renewal are noted and do not count as earned credits or as satisfying any graduation requirements.
  8. Academic Renewal, when applied, is effective as of the date of the readmission following the five-year absence.
  9. The cumulative grade point average after academic renewal is calculated on the basis of courses taken since the readmission following the five-year absence.

Scholastic Regulations


Policies regarding student attendance at class meetings are set by each instructor.

Students should not assume that nonattendance results in being dropped from class. It is the student’s responsibility to initiate drops or complete withdrawals within published deadlines utilizing or LoboWeb

A student with excessive absences may be dropped from a course with a grade of WF upon recommendation of the instructor. Instructor initiated drops are submitted utilizing LoboWeb.

Information on reporting short term absences to instructors can be found under Dean of Students Office, Notification of Absences in this catalog.

Classroom Conduct

The instructor is responsible for classroom conduct, behavior and discipline. Any action that would disrupt or obstruct an academic activity is prohibited. The instructor may refer situations involving classroom misconduct to the Dean of Students Office for additional action under the “Student Code of Conduct” as published in the UNM Pathfinder.

Use of classrooms or other facilities during scheduled activities is limited to enrolled students and University personnel. Use of these facilities during nonscheduled periods should be arranged with the appropriate department or other division of the University.  Smoking, eating and drinking are prohibited in all classrooms and teaching laboratories, including seminars.

Dishonesty in Academic Matters

Each student is expected to maintain the highest standards of honesty and integrity in academic and professional matters. The University reserves the right to take disciplinary action, including dismissal, against any student who is found responsible for academic dishonesty. Any student who has been judged to have engaged in academic dishonesty in course work may receive a reduced or failing grade for the work in question and/or for the course.

Academic dishonesty includes, but is not limited to, dishonesty on quizzes, tests or assignments; claiming credit for work not done or done by others; hindering the academic work of other students; and misrepresenting academic or professional qualifications within or outside the University.


Nondisclosure or misrepresentation on applications or other University records make a student liable for disciplinary action, including possible dismissal from the University.


Students are subject to dismissal from a college or a degree program based on minimum requirements set by that college or program. Refer to each college section in this catalog for specific requirements. Dismissal from a college or degree program is not the same as suspension, but may preclude the student from enrolling at the University.


Probationary status serves as a warning to students that they are no longer in good academic standing and that they may be suspended.

Undergraduate students who have 30 or fewer attempted hours must have a cumulative grade point average of at least 1.70 to be in good standing.

Thereafter, the minimum cumulative grade point average to remain in good standing is 2.00.

Undergraduate students are placed on probation at the end of any semester (or Summer session) for which their cumulative grade point average falls below these minimum requirements. Special requirements may be placed on students who are on probation.

Degree-Granting Colleges and Non-Degree Status. Students in degree-granting colleges or in non-degree status may be placed on academic probation at the end of any semester, if they fail to meet the minimum cumulative grade point average required to remain in good standing in their college. The minimum grade point average is at least a 2.00, but is higher in some colleges. Students must familiarize themselves with the academic regulations of their college. Graduate students see the section of Graduate Programs related to this policy.


Students on suspension may not enroll for classes at the University of New Mexico until their suspension period has been completed.

Degree-Granting Colleges and Non-Degree Status. Students are eligible for suspension after a semester on probation, if their cumulative grade point average remains below the minimum required to be in good standing in their college.

Suspension Period. Students suspended for the first time may not enroll for classes at the University of New Mexico for a period of one semester from the date of the suspension. Students suspended for the second time may not enroll for classes for a period of two semesters from the date of the suspension. Students suspended for the third time may not enroll for classes for a period of five academic years from the date of the suspension.


  1. Summer sessions are counted with the following fall semester for purposes of this policy, e.g., a student suspended at the end of a spring semester may not attend either the following Summer session or Fall semester.
  2. Students absent from the University for a year or more must reapply for admission to the University.
  3. Students who are accepted for readmission after suspension will be readmitted on probation in the accepting college.
  4. College deans may specify the number of hours for which a student may enroll following a suspension. They may also require students to drop courses which seem beyond their abilities.
  5. Attendance at another institution during suspension must be indicated on the student’s application for readmission, and an official transcript must be sent to the Office of Admissions as part of the reapplication.


Regular Examinations

Examinations other than final examinations are given during each course at the discretion of the instructor. Final examinations are given at the end of each course as scheduled during the final examinations period. Visit the Schedule of Classes online at

Examination to Establish or Validate Credit (Challenge a Course)

Degree seeking students in undergraduate status may, with appropriate written approval, take an examination to establish or validate credit in courses that appear in the University’s general catalog. Students may not have been previously enrolled (or have earned a W/WP/WF grade) in the course at the University of New Mexico. Graduate students have the same privilege, but only undergraduate credit can be earned in this manner.

Credit for nonprofessional physical education activity courses and some professional physical education courses cannot be earned by examination. Contact the department to determine which professional physical education courses can be challenged by examination.

A permit for the examination is issued upon authorization of the dean or director of the college offering the course. This permit must be approved by the department concerned and the dean or director of the student’s college. The student will be liable for the current tuition rate per credit hour and
submit the permit to the person who administers the examination. Once the examination has been administered and graded the instructor completes the form and sends it to Records and Registration to be recorded on the student’s record.

Examination to establish credit can be taken only during the week before classes start through the ending date of the semester or summer session. Credit is allowed and placed on the student’s permanent record as of the semester in which the examination is completed. A grade of CR is recorded for successful completion of examination and a notation of credit by examination is made on the transcript. Credits earned by examination at the University of New Mexico apply toward graduation and residence requirements.

Alternative Credit Options

For information concerning the Advanced Placement Program (AP) and the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) of the College Entrance Examination Board, see Admissions section of this catalog.

Senior Citizens

You qualify for a reduced tuition rate of $5.00/credit hour if you are:

  • Age 65 or older as of the 21st day from the start of the semester.
  • Classified as a New Mexico resident as defined by the NM Higher Education Department.
  • Registering for no more than six (6) credit hours.
  • Registering on or after the first day of the semester. Note that registration attempts prior to the first day of the semester will result in full tuition charges even if the class is dropped and added after this date.

Fees (subject to change without notice)

Tuition and Fees rate tables can be found here:

Special Course Fees

See each semester’s Schedule of Classes at Special Course Fees and GPSA Fee are refunded using the same refund schedule as tuition and fees. See Tuition Refund Deadlines.

Student Group Health and Accident Insurance

Group health and accident insurance is available only to students attending the University of New Mexico and carrying 6 or more semester hours. Participation is optional, except for international students who are required to have this coverage for both themselves and their dependents. Check with Student Health Center insurance coordinator for current rates, and to complete an application and make payment.

Charges for Special Services

1.   Admission (nonrefundable):  
  a. Application Fee (undergraduate) $20.00
  b. Application Fee (graduate) $50.00
  c. Application Fee (non-degree) $10.00
  d. Application Fee (Law) $40.00
2.    Administration Charges (nonrefundable):  
  a. Deferred Tuition Payment Fee $10.00 per payment (maximum of $50.00) (per semester)  
  b. Returned Check $15.00
  c. Master's Thesis Binding $15.00
  d. Dissertation Binding $15.00
  e. Registration Transaction Fee (second week of classes) $10.00
  f. Late Transaction Fee (after published deadlines) $75.00
  g. Late Registration/Re-registration Fee (starting first day of semester, non-refundable) $30.00
  h. New Student Orientation Fee $25.00-$125.00
3.   Testing Fees:  
  a. Residual ACT Testing $25.00
  b. Miller Analogies $35.00
  c. Graduate School Foreign Language Test $10.00
4.   Deposits:  
  a. Chemistry Laboratory Breakage Deposit Card $40.00/course
  b. Housing (Residence Halls/Student Family Housing) $100.00/$200.00
5.   Equipment or University Property Damage:  
  a. Tuition provides for a nominal amount of breakage in laboratory or other courses. Excessive breakage is charged separately to the student responsible for it.  
6.   Student Association Fees:  
  a. Associated Student Fee  
    Assessment of this fee is a voluntary action of the student body through its organization, The Associated Students of the University of New Mexico (ASUNM). The University collects the fee as an accommodation to ASUNM. Fee amount is determined by vote of the ASUNM members and is subject to change. It is included in the tuition paid by all undergraduate students. More information about the allocation of funds received from the fee may be obtained in the Pathfinder, as well as from ASUNM. Copies of the ASUNM budget may be examined in the Office of the Dean of Students.  
  b. Graduate and Professional Student Association Fee  
    Graduate students are assessed a fee determined by vote of the members of the Graduate and Professional Student Association (GPSA) and set forth in their constitution. The University collects the fee. More information about the allocation of GPSA funds may be obtained in the Pathfinder, as well as from the GPSA office.  

Enrollment Cancellation Due to Lack of Financial Commitment

A student’s current account balance, less awarded financial aid, is due by 5:00 p.m. on the published Enrollment Cancellation date. Students who do not pay this Enrollment Cancellation Balance or set up a payment plan on or before this payment deadline will have their registration canceled.

The Enrollment Cancellation Balance includes Tuition and Fees (including second 8-week courses), Special Course Fees, GPSA Fee and may also include the following: Housing, Parking Permits and fines, Library charges, Child-Care, Student Health and Pharmacy charges, Late fees, Bookstore charges, Short Term Loans, Orientation fees and all other current charges.

  • Students can view Enrollment Cancellation Balance on LoboWeb.
  • Failure to receive a Statement of Account does not relieve students of responsibility for payment.
  • Payment plans will be made available for setup over LoboWeb at least two weeks prior to the deadline.
  • Students registering after the deadline, who do not drop within the published refund deadlines, will be responsible for payment of all tuition and fees.
  • Awarded financial aid will be included in the calculation of the Enrollment Cancellation Balance.

A student whose registration has been canceled and has a past due balance must pay the past due balance before re-registering. A $30.00 non-refundable late registration fee will be added to the student’s account for registration on or after the first day of the semester.

Re-registration into classes is the responsibility of the student. If the student attempts to re-register for a class and that class is closed, the student must follow the procedures outlined in the current semester’s Schedule of Classes in order to re-register in that class.

Refer to the current online Schedule of Classes at for additional information.

Methods of Payment

Payments must be received by 5:00 p.m. on the published deadline date.

Payment in Person
The Cashier Department is located in the University Advisement and Enrichment Center. Hours of operation are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., closing from 12-1 for lunch, Monday through Friday. Every second and last Wednesday closed from 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. for staff meeting.

Payment by Mail
Checks and money orders should be made payable to the University of New Mexico. Please include student ID number in the memo field.

Mailing Address:
UNM Bursar’s Office
MSC06 3660
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131-0001

Physical Address:
The University of New Mexico
Bursar’s Office
University Advisement and Enrichment Center, Room 170
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131-3036

Drop Box
Located at the Cashier Department (building closes at 5:00 p.m.). No cash please.

NSF or returned checks may result in Enrollment Cancellation.

Payment over LoboWeb
Credit card and ACH payments (routing and checking or savings account numbers required) made over LoboWeb must be received on or before 11:59 p.m. on the published deadline date.

Check and ACH payments returned for any reason will result in a Returned Item Fee charge. In addition, they may result in Enrollment Cancellation.

Payment by Telephone
Payments may be made by telephone at (505) 277-5363 (option 2), using a credit card, during Cashier Department hours of operation.

Payment by Financial Aid

  • Students should check LoboWeb to obtain their Enrollment Cancellation Balance and awarded financial aid.
  • Students must visit the Student Financial Aid Office if delays in financial aid applications delay financial aid awards. If financial aid awards are insufficient to cover Enrollment Cancellation Balance, students must pay the balance or set-up payment plan by the deadline to avoid Enrollment Cancellation.
  • Work-study financial aid awards are not considered in arrangement of payment.
  • Paperwork for Graduate, Teaching, and Research Assistants receiving tuition waivers must be received in the Student Financial Aid Office by the published Enrollment Cancellation deadline. To expedite this paperwork, students should visit the Office of Graduate Studies.

Students exempt from Enrollment Cancellation based on financial aid awards who decide not to attend UNM must officially withdraw through LoboWeb prior to tuition refund deadlines.

Employee Dependent Education Program
Refer to Education Benefits Policy, UBP 3700. Instructions and forms can be found at the Human Resources website.

  • To avoid Enrollment Cancellation, students must be registered and pay any balance not covered by the program by the published deadline.
  • Students are awarded resident tuition cost only. Mandatory fees and course fees are not covered.
  • Students registering on or after the first day of the semester will be assessed the $30.00 nonrefundable late registration fee.
  • Students must maintain eligibility in order to continue to receive financial credit for next semester. The Human Resources Department will complete verification of eligibility.
  • Branch campus rates are available at each individual branch.

Contact Human Resources for additional information.

Payment Plan
Students may set up a payment plan to defer part of their Enrollment Cancellation Balance. Payment plans are set up over LoboWeb. When enrolling in a payment plan, a portion of the balance will be due at set up and will automatically be drawn from the bank or credit card account specified. In addition, future payments will automatically be pulled from the specified account on the due date of the payment. Please visit for more information on payment plans.

Third Party Sponsored Students
If a third party is paying your tuition, the Bursar’s Office must receive your authorization letter prior to the Enrollment Cancellation deadline. All charges not covered by the authorization, including any prior semester charges, must be paid by the deadline.

Tuition Remission
Refer to Education Benefits Policy, UBP 3700. Instructions and forms can be found at the Human Resources website.

  • To avoid Enrollment Cancellation, Tuition Remission forms must be received by the Bursar’s Office no later than 5:00 p.m. on the published deadline.
  • Any fees not covered by Tuition Remission must be paid in full by the deadline.
  • Tuition Remission does NOT cover course fees or late registration fees.
  • Employees registering on or after the first day of the semester are subject to the $30.00 nonrefundable late registration fee.

Tuition Refund Deadlines

All tuition refunds are based on date of withdrawal or official drop. To receive a full refund of tuition, students must complete LoboWeb drop procedures for their classes.

Sixteen-week, non-Nursing courses:  
Withdrawal or drop in hours:  
Prior to first day of class and through Friday of third week of class 100%
After third Friday of class 0%
Eight-week and Twelve-week, non-Nursing courses:  
Withdrawal or drop in hours:  
Prior to the first day of class through 5 p.m. Friday of second week of class 100%
After second Friday of classes 0%
Non-Nursing Courses Less than Eight Weeks and Greater than Five Days in Duration or Non-Nursing Courses Beginning on Dates Other than the Beginning of the Semester or the First or Second Eight-weeks of the Semester (except Correspondence Courses):  
Withdrawal or drop in hours:  
Prior to the completion of 20% of the class (Partial days do not count in calculation) 100%
After 20% completion 0%
Courses Five Days or Less in Duration:  
Withdrawal or drop in hours:  
On or before the first day of the class 100%
After first day of class 0%
Correspondence Courses:  
Withdrawal or drop in hours:  
Prior to completion of 9% of the class (Partial days do not count in calculation) 100%
After 9% completion 0%

Tuition and fees for courses dropped after the above deadlines will not be refunded.

Direct Deposits and Refunds for Paid Charges

Students may choose to deposit financial aid refunds directly into their bank accounts. To select this option, search for Answer ID 2682 at Otherwise, refund checks will be mailed to the student’s current mailing address. Please confirm your mailing address using LoboWeb by clicking on the Demographic Self-Service (DSS) link,

If a refund is due and payment was made by personal check, there may be a 21-day hold period from the payment receipt date before a refund is processed.

If paid by a credit card, refunds will be processed to that credit card.


Bills, or Statement of Account, are generated once a month. Currently registered students will receive an email notification when the month’s bill is ready. It is the responsibility of each student to log into LoboWeb/UNM Account Suite to view the detail of the bill. As it is a bill, there is a due date. Failure to pay a bill by its due date will result in the restriction of services and sanctions listed below.

If a student is not registered, a paper bill will be mailed via USPS to the last billing/mailing address the student had on their record. It is the responsibility of each student to update their own billing/mailing address either through LoboWeb/Demographic Self-Service or by contacting the Records Office.

Restriction of Services and Sanctions

Withholding Services
Students who have delinquent accounts will be denied privileges and services that are available to students enrolled in the University and in good financial standing. Students with delinquent accounts will be subject to sanctions that withhold:

  • Future registrations
  • Readmission
  • Transcripts
  • Payment plan participation
  • Future parking and library privileges

Financial Holds
No transcripts or other information relating to any student records at the University shall be released or delivered to the student or on behalf of the student until all debts to the University and all of its affiliates, including external collection agencies, have been paid.

Students have the right to inspect and review educational records to the extent that applicable laws and regulations grant such right.

Registration Sanction
No student shall register at the University until she/he has paid all past due charges.

Service Charges
A service charge will be assessed on a student’s past due account balance at a rate of 1.2%. An account is considered past due if the billed amount is not paid by the bill due date. Awarded financial aid exempts students from Enrollment Cancellation but does not defer any service charges on student accounts.

Collection Agencies
Monthly statements of account are available over LoboWeb. Failure to receive a Statement of Account does not relieve student of the responsibility for payment. If payments are not made on a timely basis, the account may be placed with a collection agency. Should it be necessary for an outside agency to effect a collection, collection costs of at least 20% will be added to the amount due and shall be paid by debtor. If UNM obtains judgment from a court of competent jurisdiction, the debtor shall be liable for the collection agency fee as well as reasonable court costs and attorney’s fees.

Enrollment Requirements for Financial Aid

To receive financial aid, students must generally enroll at least half-time as regular students in eligible programs. Scholarships generally require full-time enrollment. Audited classes are not included toward financial aid enrollment requirements. Award amounts are generally prorated according to enrollment status. Grant payments are locked at the end of the third week of the fall and spring semester. If a student increases their enrollment after the third week, their grant funding will not increase.

Students are responsible for meeting minimum enrollment requirements. Students who knowingly receive aid to which they are not entitled may be in violation of University policy and state or federal laws.

Questions should be directed to the Student Financial Aid Office.

Enrollment Requirements

1.   Fall/Spring Semesters
  a. Full-time: 12 or more credit hours
  b. Three-quarter time: 9-11 credit hours
  c. Half-time: 6-8 credit hours
  d. Less than half-time: 5 or fewer credit hours
2.   Summer Session
  a. Full-time: 6 or more credit hours
  b. College of Nursing full-time: 12 or more credit hours
  c. Three-quarter time: 5 credit hours
  d. College of Nursing three-quarter time: 9-11 credit hours
  e. Half-time: 3 or 4 credit hours
  f. College of Nursing half-time: 6-8 credit hours
  g. Less than half-time: 1 or 2 credit hours
  h. College of Nursing less than half-time: 5 or fewer credit hours
    Graduate Students
1.   Fall/Spring Semesters
  a. Full-time: 9 or more credit hours
  b. Three-quarter time: 7 or 8 credit hours
  c. Half-time: 5 or 6 credit hours
  d. Less than half-time: 4 or fewer credit hours
2.   Summer Session
  a. Full-time: 6 or more credit hours
  b. College of Nursing full-time: 9 or more credit hours
  c. Three-quarter time: 5 credit hours
  d. College of Nursing three-quarter time: 7 or 8 credit hours
  e. Half-time: 3 or 4 credit hours
  f. College of Nursing half-time: 5 or 6 credit hours
  g. Less than half-time: 1 or 2 credit hours
  h. College of Nursing less than half-time: 4 or fewer credit hours

Crediting Financial Assistance to a Student’s Account
Approved and awarded financial aid credits into students’ accounts if students register for the required number of hours and meet all the respective financial aid program requirements.

These programs include:
1. Federal Pell Grant
2. Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
3. State Student Incentive Grant (SSIG)
4. Federal Perkins Loan
5. UNM 3% Grants
6. Medical Grants and Scholarships
7. Other Grants and Scholarships
8. TEACH Grant
9. Federal Direct Loans
10. Other Loans

For external scholarship or loan checks, students must visit the Cashier Department to endorse the checks.

After financial aid awards credit into students’ accounts and current and past due charges are paid, the remaining balances are either deposited directly into students’ bank accounts or checks are mailed to students. Students cannot pick up refund checks from the Cashier Department.

Nonresident Students

The student is responsible for obtaining the correct residency classification prior to the end of the second week of the semester. A student not classified as a New Mexico resident is charged as a non-resident. Refer to the Residency section in this catalog.

Student Housing

Residence Halls

Residence Life and Student Housing's residential community is designed to promote academic success, connect students to campus activities and make it easy for residents to form friendships with others from around New Mexico, the country and the world.

Mission. In support of the University of New Mexico, the mission of Residence Life and Student Housing is to provide safe, affordable, diverse and comfortable residential communities dedicated to Student Success.

Facilities. The UNM residential community offers a wide variety of accommodations to meet students lifestyle needs.  Students can live in a room of their own, with one roommate, or with three, four and five others in an apartment or suite.  From traditional halls, suites and apartment style living, students can choose living options that best fits their needs.  Housing is available for Fall, Spring and Summer Terms.  Details on all these options are contained on the housing website:

Meal Plans. All students who live on campus are required to choose a meal plan from Chartwell's, the on-campus food provider. For more information please go to

Housing Policy. To be eligible for Student Housing all students must be enrolled in UNM, maintain a minimum of six (6) credit hours per semester, and be in pursuit of a degree.  In addition, we want you to know that our housing contracts are for one full academic year.  However, if you need a place to live for Spring, we may have a room for you!  Due to fall graduations and cancelations, some contracts are available for Spring term.  Living assignments are first-come, first-served.  Apply early for the best chance of obtaining your hall preferences.  Residence halls house both undergraduate and graduate students. 

Summer.  Full summer 13 week contracts are available to new and returning students.  Please visit Residents must have at least one credit hour class to correspond to the  session selected.   

Special Needs. Please apply on-line for accommodations and list your disability in the “Special Needs” category.  All handicapped residents must also register with UNM Accessability Services. If you have additional questions please contact housing. 

Room and Board Fees. A copy of the current rates and payment schedule can be found at Rates include utilities, expanded cable TV, high-speed Internet connection in each student’s room, access to a 24 hour computer pod with free printing, free laundry facilities, and security patrols. Except for apartment style halls, the rates do not include housing between semesters nor are meals provided during official recesses listed in the academic calendar.

Application Procedure. Application for housing is a separate process from the admission application to the University. You may also visit the Web site or e-mail questions to

Student Family and Graduate Housing

Facilities. The University operates 200 student family apartments located just south of the main campus. One, two and three unfurnished bedroom units are available. Built on a 12-acre site, four clusters of apartments have courtyards, a basketball court and playground, paved off-street parking, and the entire complex is fenced and has a controlled-access gate.

Housing Policy. To be eligible for student family housing, one spouse must be a student of the University of New Mexico pursuing a degree and taking at least 6 semester hours. Single students with legal dependents also are eligible for student family housing. Domestic partners may also apply if they submit certification from the University of New Mexico Dean of Students Office that they meet the qualifying criteria. Apartment residents may remain in Student Family Housing during the summer without enrolling, if they plan to enroll for the fall semester. All students must complete the summer extension form. A limited number of one bedroom apartments are available to graduate students.

Rental Rates. A copy of the current rates and payment schedule can be found at Rates are subject to adjustment, with appropriate notice, reflecting changes in operating costs. Rates include utilities, free laundry facilities, and security patrols.

Application Procedure. Because the number of apartments is limited, applicants may be placed on a waiting list if no apartment is available. Information concerning the reservation procedure, rental rates and applications may be obtained by contacting Housing via e-mail at or by visiting the Family Housing link on the Web site

Student Financial Aid

The following information explains the application process and answers questions about financial aid at the University of New Mexico. To maximize your opportunity for funding, your application must be received by March 1. You must also respond to any request for additional information in a timely fashion. Pell Grants and Federal Direct Loans remain available to eligible students who submit applications after the March 1 priority date.

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is used to apply for all types of federal and state need-based aid. Students can apply for financial aid on the Web or by completing the paper application. We encourage students to apply on the Web. The address is: The University of New Mexico’s Federal School Code is 002663. All prospective students must be admitted to the University of New Mexico to receive an offer of financial aid.

The costs of attending the University of New Mexico include:
1) tuition and fees
2) room and board
3) books and supplies
4) transportation
5) personal expenses
6) child care costs, if applicable.

To be considered for financial aid, students must apply every year.

For additional information regarding costs and financial aid at the University of New Mexico, access our Web page at:

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Students must meet a minimum standard of academic performance in their course work and progression toward a degree. All students’ academic progress is monitored at least annually to determine continued eligibility for assistance. Students in Certificate programs are monitored each semester. There are three major components to the University of New Mexico’s Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy:

1. Grade point average: Students are required to maintain a grade point average consistent with graduation requirements for their major as follows:

• While completing the first 30 credit hours as an undergraduate, a student must attain a minimum 1.7 GPA.

• Students with more than 30 credit hours must sustain a minimum 2.0 GPA.

• Graduate students must sustain a minimum 3.0 GPA.

• Law, Medical and Doctor of Pharmacy students must sustain a minimum 2.0 GPA.

2. Completion rate:

Students must successfully complete at least 67% of the total credit hours they attempt. Classes in which grades of A, B, C, D or CR are earned are considered completed. Repeated courses were already counted as completed, and are not counted twice. All attempted credit hours from any college (including non-degree hours) are counted whether or not financial aid was received. This calculation includes all hours in which a student is registered at the time of withdrawal. Remedial classes and English as a Second Language (ESL) classes are also counted as attempted credit hours. Courses taken for AUDIT are not counted in the student’s total course load for purposes of financial aid eligibility. For graduate students, 100- and 200-level classes count as hours attempted, but not hours earned, because they do not count toward the completion of a graduate degree.

3. Maximum time frame:

Undergraduate students must complete their program of study within 150% of the published length of the program, measured in credit hours attempted. Example: if the published length of the academic program is 128 credits, the maximum time frame for completion is 192 attempted credits. All attempted credit hours from any college, including non-degree hours, and hours attempted in completing a prior certificate or degree will count toward the maximum allowable credits regardless of whether financial aid was received. Courses with assigned grades of F, WF, W, WP, I, NC and “repeated” courses all count as attempted credit hours. In addition, remedial classes and ESL classes are counted in this calculation, even though these classes do not count toward the student’s graduation requirements. To receive financial aid, graduate students must complete their degree within the maximum time frame allowed by their graduate program.

Should you fail to meet satisfactory progress, you are no longer eligible to receive financial aid at the University of New Mexico. Students with extenuating circumstances beyond their control, such as a serious personal illness, divorce, or the death of a close family member are allowed to petition.

Typical Sources of Financial Aid

Program Per Academic Year Maximum Award Amount
Federal Pell Grant Maximum $5,500 (2011-12 maximum amount)
TEACH   $4,000
Federal Supplemental Ed. Opportunity Grant Maximum $1,000
State Student Incentive Grant Maximum $2,500
State College Affordability Grant Maximum $1,000
UNM Grant Maximum $2,500
UNM Bridge to Success Scholarship   $1,000
NM Lottery Success Scholarship Tuition amount Tuition amount (does not include fees)
Federal/State College Work/Study Undergraduate $5,000
  Graduate $6,000
Federal Perkins Loan Maximum $2,000
Federal Direct Loan (Subsidized) Freshman $3,500
  Sophomore $4,500
  Junior/Senior $5,500
  Graduate/Professional $8,500
Federal Direct Loan (Unsubsidized) Freshman $7,500*
  Sophomore $8,500*
  Junior/Senior $10,500*
  Graduate/Professional $20,500*
 * Minus any subsidized amount borrowed    
PLUS Loans Dependent Students Cost of education minus financial aid awarded
Grad PLUS Loans Graduate/Professional Cost of education minus financial aid awarded
Loan for Service Nursing, Medicine, Pharmacy and Allied Health Students only $12,000

Student Employment

Students in a degree-granting program seeking part-time employment while attending the University of New Mexico may apply for student employment. Available student employment and work-study positions are posted on the UNM Jobs Website. The address is:


More than 600 individual scholarships exist at the University of New Mexico for qualified students. General scholarships are awarded through the Scholarship Office on a competitive basis and in-line with donor requirements. There is no application required for general scholarships. All returning students who have earned at least 12 credit hours at UNM by the end of the preceding fall semester are considered.

Incoming freshmen must complete the freshmen scholarship application by December 1 for Regents' and Presidential Scholarships. No scholarship application is required for the University of New Mexico Scholars Program. Incoming freshmen need to be admitted by February 1 to be considered for this scholarship (dates subject to change).

In order to continue to receive a multi-term award, students must be classified as an undergraduate degree-seeking student and meet the minimum requirements to maintain their scholarship as outlined on the scholarship website ( Students may not apply for any unused semester of eligibility toward graduate or professional school, or for other purposes. Additionally, you will forfeit your scholarship if you choose to attend another college or institution at any time.

Students applying for departmental or academic scholarships should contact those respective offices.

• Regents’ Scholars
An academic scholarship, awarded up to eight consecutive semesters, to entering freshmen in each academic year. The Regents’ Scholarship recipients are selected from among the following groups: National Merit finalists; valedictorians; students with ACT composite scores of 31 or higher; students with the strongest college preparatory course work, including advanced, enriched and advanced placement courses; and students with a minimum sixth semester grade point average of 3.90 or higher.

Regents’ Scholars are admitted to the University of New Mexico University Honors Program and will receive specialized advisement and course registration privileges. Regents’ Scholars represent the University at various community and University functions.

(Requirements subject to change).

• Presidential Scholars
A prestigious scholarship at the University of New Mexico offered on a competitive basis for up to eight consecutive semesters. To be considered for the Presidential Scholarship an incoming freshman must be a New Mexico resident with a minimum sixth semester high school grade point average of 3.75, an ACT composite score of 25 or higher and proven academic and citizenship skills as demonstrated in the classroom and in positions of leadership. (Requirements subject to change).

• New Mexico Scholars Scholarship Program
In 1989 the New Mexico Legislature approved a scholarship program intended to recognize well qualified New Mexico high school graduates and to help these students meet the cost of attending college in-state. A student is eligible for the award if he or she meets the following criteria:

1. Is a New Mexico high school graduate attending a New Mexico public institution of higher education the first semester after high school graduation.
2. Has a family income of $30,000 or less, or $40,000 if more than one in college.
3. Graduated in upper 5% of high school class or obtained composite score of 25 on the ACT or combined (combination of SAT Verbal and SAT Math) scores of 1130 on the SAT, or greater, respectively.
4. Is a citizen of the United States or has a permanent resident visa.

• UNM Scholars
UNM Scholars awards are offered on a competitive basis to selected high school seniors for up to eight consecutive semesters who demonstrate a combination of factors which include a minimum 3.3 grade point average with at least a 24 ACT score. (Requirements subject to change).

• National Scholars Scholarship
The Scholarship is automatically offered to finalists in the National Merit, National Hispanic and National Achievement Scholarship programs. Students must list UNM as their first school of choice with the National Merit Scholarship Corporation to receive this award.

• Legislative Lottery Scholarship
The New Mexico Legislative Lottery Scholarship encourages New Mexico high school graduates and New Mexico General Education Diploma (GED) recipients to enroll full-time and complete a 2-year degree within five semesters or a 4-year degree within nine semesters. It provides financial support by paying the cost of tuition at any New Mexico public post-secondary institution. This scholarship is not awarded on the basis of financial need. While we strongly encourage all students to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), students are NOT required to complete a FAFSA to receive the New Mexico Legislative Lottery Scholarship.

New Mexico residents who have established residency and attended a public New Mexico secondary educational institution for at least one year, regardless of immigration status, and meet all below listed criteria are eligible.
1. Graduate from a New Mexico public or accredited private high school, or received a New Mexico GED.
2. Enroll full-time (twelve credit hours) in a public New Mexico college or university in a degree or certificate program the first regular term following high school graduation or receipt of a GED.
3. Complete at least twelve new credit hours with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better in the first term of college, the Qualifying Semester. 

• Amigo Scholarships
The Amigo scholarship entitles outstanding out-of-state students to an award of $200 per year plus waiver of non-resident tuition rates. In order to qualify for the Amigo Scholarship, a student must:
1. Have a cumulative high school grade point average of 3.50 or higher (on a 4.00 scale) and an ACT composite score of 23 or the SAT equivalent (1060 [combination of SAT Verbal and SAT Math]); or
2. Have a cumulative high school grade point average of 3.00 or higher (on a 4.00 scale) and an ACT composite score of 26 or the SAT equivalent (1170 [combination of SAT Verbal and SAT Math]).

A student may not use the period in which the scholarship is received toward the 12-month consecutive presence requirement to establish in-state residency.

• Amigo for International Students
The International Amigo scholarship is awarded annually for up to four years provided renewal requirements are met. A student who fails to meet the requirements necessary to renew the scholarship also forfeits the privilege of resident tuition.

• Transfer Scholarships
Transfer scholarships are available for qualified transfer students. These scholarships can amount to as much as $1,000 per academic year and are awarded on a competitive basis. To be considered for these awards, a transfer student must have earned at least 30 semester hours of credit with a minimum 3.25 grade point average in lower-division (freshmen and sophomore) courses at a two-year post-secondary institution. The scholarship is available for two years only. They include the Zia Transfer and New Mexico Legislative Endowed Programs.

• College Major Related Scholarships
Several departments award scholarships to students enrolled in the department's programs. Beginning freshmen should directly contact the College of Engineering or the Department of Music or any other department for more information. Juniors and seniors or graduate students may inquire directly to the School of Architecture and Planning, the Robert O. Anderson Schools of Management, the School of Engineering, the Earth and Planetary Sciences Department, the Law School, the Medical School and the College of Nursing.

NOTE: For more complete information about these and other scholarship programs, please visit the scholarship website at

UNM Financial Aid
MSC11 6320
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM   87131

Career Services

The Career Services Office, in support of the mission, academic programs and advancement of the institution, assists students and alumni in developing, evaluating, and/or implementing career, education and employment decisions.

Services Include:
Career Advising – Career Development Facilitators are available to assist you with choosing or changing your major, assessing abilities, interests and values, clarifying career goals, writing a resume or cover letter, preparing for interviews, conducting a job search or preparing to attend graduate school.

Cooperative Education – Gain “real world” work experience related to your major while still in school by completing a cooperative education assignment. Visit our office to learn more about how to participate.

Career Resources Lab – Visit our comprehensive, state of the art, resource lab designed to support all facets of your career development and job search needs.

On-Campus Recruiting – This program provides students and employers the opportunity to meet face to face while interviewing for professional entry level and cooperative education positions with national and international organizations from across the country.

Reference Now – Through Reference Now references, transcripts, performance evaluations, and even portfolios can be housed online for a minimal fee. All materials are available to potential employers and/or graduate schools 24/7.

Career Fairs – Career Services hosts several career and information fairs throughout the academic year, providing students the opportunity to learn more about career opportunities and find employment.

Job Listings – Browse thousands of part-time, full-time, internship, cooperative education and/or summer positions available online through the Career Services Web page at

Workshops – Upon request, Career Services provides a class or an organization with a tailored presentation on Resume Writing, Cover Letter Writing, Cooperative Education, How to Conduct Your Job Search, Career Services Overview.

Career Services is located in the University Enrichment and Advisement Center, Room 220, (505) 277-2531, Web site:

Veterans Outreach Center

Located in the Student Support and Services Center, the UNM Veterans Outreach Center (VOC) was established in 2009 as a one-stop location to serve all of New Mexico’s veterans to include retired, active-duty, National Guard, or Reserve personnel, and their dependents. The VOC can assist in navigating through the challenges of transitioning from the Military to a civilian / academic environment.

The Veterans Outreach Center is part of a broad network of New Mexico veteran services organizations as well as academic organizations within and without UNM. If a veteran or dependent has a problem that cannot be addressed within the Center, we can personally “handshake” her or him to the appropriate resource in our network. These resources include the VA, the New Mexico Department of Veterans’ Services, the New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions, Disabled American Veterans, and many more agencies, organizations, and individuals who work with veterans. The VOC also works closely with the UNM Veteran Certifying Office to help student veterans design their course of study and utilize their GI Bill or other educational benefits.

Veterans Certifying Office

The University of New Mexico is approved for certification of students eligible to receive educational assistance through the Veterans Administration. To apply for VA benefits or to initiate benefit payments, eligible students must contact the University of New Mexico Veterans Office each term of enrollment. The Veterans Office is located in Mesa Vista North One-Stop. For additional information call (505) 277-3514, or write to MSC11 6325.

Veteran students, past or present, can obtain verification of VA benefits for Financial Aid through the Veterans Regional Office, 500 Gold Street, 2nd Floor. For additional information call 800-827-1000.

Finding Out About The University of New Mexico

The Office of Admissions provides general undergraduate information about the University to prospective students. This information includes admission requirements and procedures, degree and course offerings, expenses, financial aid, scholarships, registration, housing, and special services and programs. Visit for more information.

The Office of Admissions also provides opportunities for individual students and their families to visit campus. Visits include a campus tour, housing tour, and information sessions with a University representative. Morning and afternoon sessions are available on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, as well as a morning session on the second Saturday of each calendar month. Reservations should be made at least two weeks in advance. Prospective students can schedule a visit and get more information online at A group tour is available for schools or programs bringing 10 or more visitors. Information on the group tour program can be found at

Dean of Students Office

The Dean of Students Office serves academic as well as extracurricular needs of University students. The office handles student withdrawals, student discipline, leadership programs, New Student Orientation, national student exchange, and parents relations. The Dean of Students Office encourages student participation in the University community, recognizes students, and supports student organizations. Sponsored programs are designed to help students cope with any difficulties, academic or extracurricular, they may encounter in the course of their college career. Staff are usually available for consultation on a walk-in basis. The office is located on the second floor of the University Advisement and Enrichment Center, Room 280, (505) 277-3361, Web site:

New Student Orientation

Orientation is designed to assist new students in making a successful transition into the University. The orientation programs include information on the University of New Mexico services and policies, academic advisement, registration and strategies for coping with college. Attendance at an orientation program is required for all beginning freshmen and transfer students. It is an ideal time to begin exploring your new environment. The program is coordinated by the Dean of Students Office, located in the University Advisement and Enrichment Center, Room 280, (505) 277-3361, Web site

Notification of Absences

Students are expected to attend all meetings of the classes in which they are enrolled. Absences due to illness or exceptional circumstances should be reported by the student to his/her instructor(s) and to the Dean of Students Office. If a student is unable to contact his/her instructor(s), the student should leave a message at the instructor’s department.

While the Dean of Students Office does not excuse students from class, it is customary for the Dean of Students Office to communicate with faculty about student absences. The Dean of Students Office sends the instructor(s) notices in the event of an extended absence, inability to reach instructor(s) or department(s) or emergency situation(s). In general, the Dean of Students Office will encourage the student to speak directly with the faculty member to work out absences that are less than six days. However, when requested by a faculty member, our office may assist in verifying absences that are five days or less on a case-by-case basis. The Dean of Students Office will send absence notifications to the respective faculty member should an absence be longer than five (5) days. This service will only be utilized when an absence is for a family/student medical issue, death of a family member, military leave, or a university-sponsored activity. The absence notification process is only meant as a notification and not meant to excuse the absence. Additionally, verification (such as a doctor's note, hospital billing, military orders, death notices, etc.) of a student's report of absence can be provided at the request of the course instructor.

The Dean of Students Office will verify a student’s reported absence to facilitate the instructor’s determination if make-up work will be allowed. However, the reporting of absences does not supercede the instructor’s attendance policy as stated in the course syllabus or as communicated by the instructor to a class.

The Dean of Students Office is located on the second floor of the University Advisement and Enrichment Center, Room 280, (505) 277-3361, Web site E-mail address is

National Student Exchange (NSE)

NSE offers the University of New Mexico students an opportunity for educational travel and study at more than 170 participating colleges and universities across the United States and its territories/protectorates. NSE permits students to broaden their academic, social and cultural awareness by temporarily leaving the familiar atmosphere of their hometown and home campus.

Participants must be full-time students at the UNM Main campus with a minimum cumulative grade point average of a 2.50 and must have completed two semesters and at least 24 hours prior to exchange.

NSE students pay full-time tuition to the University of New Mexico before leaving for their host school. Almost all University of New Mexico financial aid and/or scholarships will apply towards tuition. Expenses for room and board, transportation to and from the host campus, and incidentals are the responsibility of the exchange student.

Information for the NSE Program can be obtained from the Dean of Students Office in the University Advisement and Enrichment Center, Room 280. You  may also contact this office by calling (505) 277-3361 or on the web at

Student Conduct, Grievance and Appeals

The Dean of Students Office administers the Student and Visitor Codes of Conduct and has jurisdiction over behavioral disciplinary matters, academic dishonesty (when referred by an instructor) and appeals from students, student court or campus boards (where appeals are provided for in their bylaws and/or the University of New Mexico policy). Questions about these procedures should be directed to the Dean of Students Office. The complete procedures are in the Student Handbook at

General University Publications and Services

UNM Pathfinder: The Student Handbook

The UNM Pathfinder is the most comprehensive handbook of student services at the University of New Mexico. The UNM Pathfinder gives general information, including office locations and telephone numbers, about academic support and cultural programs, athletics and recreation, student organizations, entertainment, financial services, food, health and medical assistance, housing, the University of New Mexico policies affecting students, commuting and parking and other services and programs. The Pathfinder is available online at

Other Useful Publications

The following publications are available at the Student Activities Center, located in the Student Union Building, 1018, lower level.

Guide to Chartered Student Organizations–published three times a year, lists all student organizations officially chartered at the University of New Mexico.

Student Organization Handbook–Provides resources, regulations and guidelines to chartered student organizations and helps with event planning, fund raising, leadership and organizational tools.

Honorary Organizations

There are a variety of honorary organizations, including organizations based on college enrollment, year in college or ethnicity. The Student Activities Center also organizes the Recognition Reception each Spring where the Clauve Outstanding Senior awards, departmental awards, Who’s Who in American Colleges and Universities, and many other honors are given out. Visit for a complete listing of awards and honorary organizations at UNM.

Student Organizations

There are more than 400 chartered student organizations at the University of New Mexico. The Student Activities Center assists student organizations in the chartering process each fall. The current organization listing can be found at Students who wish to charter a new student group may do so by visiting the Student Activities Center, Room 1018 in the Student Union Building. The categories of student organizations include:

Academic & Departmental
Ethnic & Cultural
Residence Hall
Special Interest
Sport & Recreation

Current student organization listings can be found at

Graduate and Professional Student Association (GPSA)

The Graduate and Professional Student Association is the representative governing body for all graduate and professional students. GPSA represents the interests of graduate students through continuing contacts with the Office of Graduate Studies, the University administration, Board of Regents and the state legislature. In addition, GPSA maintains an active network with other graduate student organizations nationally. The primary goal of the association is to enhance graduate educational opportunities for all students at the University. Graduate and professional students from Arts & Sciences, Architecture and Planning, Anderson Schools of Management, Education, Engineering, Law, Medicine, Nursing, Public Administration and Fine Arts participate in GPSA. Each department within the individual schools and colleges selects its own council representatives in the manner prescribed by the students within the department. Council meetings are held once a month and are announced in the Daily Lobo. Meetings are always open to the public and interested students are invited to attend. The Executive Board is comprised of the chairpersons of permanent GPSA committees with other members from each non-represented School or College. The GPSA President is elected in a campus-wide election in the Spring semester, and the Council chair is elected by the Council representatives at their regular April meeting. All graduate and professional students are encouraged to participate in the GPSA through its Council and numerous committees. GPSA appoints students to all University committees concerned in any way with graduate education. Students interested in serving on any campus committee should contact the GPSA office for details. Committee participation offers individuals the opportunity to improve the University community in cooperation with faculty, administrators and students from other departments, schools and colleges on campus. GPSA is funded by student fees of $25.00, per semester collected by the University. From these funds, graduate organizations and programs apply for funding to support projects, research, and travel to professional conferences. Applications from student organizations should be submitted to the Finance Committee in late January. Student research, projects, and travel applications have different deadlines. Additional information is readily available in the GPSA office. The GPSA office is in the Student Union Building, Room 1021, and has a computer lab for student use. For more information, call (505) 277-3803, visit the Web site, or e-mail us at

Drug-Free Campus

This policy on Illegal Drugs and Alcohol is adopted pursuant to federal laws and reflects the commitment of the University to an environment free of drugs and the illegal use of alcohol. Drug and alcohol abuse on campus poses a serious threat to the health, safety and welfare of faculty, staff and students, impairs work and academic performance, and conflicts with the responsibility of the University to foster a healthy atmosphere for the pursuit of education, research and service. Therefore, the unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensing, possession or use of controlled substances or alcohol on University property, or as part of any of its activities by any member of the University community–faculty, staff or student–is strictly prohibited. Additional information concerning this policy is available through the Campus Office of Substance Abuse Prevention, the Dean of Students Office, Human Resources and the Faculty Grants and Contracts Office. The University’s policy is distributed annually to all students, faculty and staff members and printed in its entirety in each edition of The Pathfinder.

Ethnic Programs

To provide equal educational opportunity for persons from all cultures and to preserve and study the cultural diversity of the state, the University of New Mexico has fostered the creation of numerous culturally-oriented academic programs.

The Africana, Chicano/Hispano/Mexicano, and Native American Studies Programs offer courses and seminars and also conduct original research. In addition, African-American Student Services, American Indian Student Services, and El Centro de la Raza, offer support services and cultural programs to enhance retention and student success.

Also, numerous other on-campus programs promote equal opportunity among New Mexico’s minority students. These include: the American Indian Law Center, special engineering programs for African-Americans, Hispanics, Native Americans and women, and the Multicultural Education Center.

The College Enrichment and Outreach Programs

The mission of College Enrichment and Outreach Programs is to provide seamless support for students in the development of skills necessary to pursue post-secondary education, and to promote retention of graduate studies. The College Enrichment and Outreach Programs Unit provides opportunities through educational, student support programming, and cultural experiences, to increase the recruitment, retention, and development of students in higher education.

Student Activities Center

Your life outside the classroom is as important as your educational experience. The Student Activities Center provides many opportunities for involvement. Student Activities offers information on more than 400 student organizations; organizes Welcome Back Days and the Recognition Reception; and advises Homecoming, student government, honor societies, and fraternities and sororities. Check the Student Activities Center web page at for more information. Student Activities also publishes the Pathfinder, the Student Organization Handbook, and LeaderHints.

Stop by our office at the Student Union Building Room 1018 or call 277-4706.

The Student Activities Center also offers the Off-Campus Housing web page, which lists rentals of apartments, houses, rooms and roommates wanted. The Off-Campus Housing list is accessible at

The Student Activities Center also offers the Emergency Message Service listed separately in this Student Services Section of the University of New Mexico Catalog and numerous publications listed under “General University Publications and Services.”

Emergency Message Service

The Emergency Message Service is provided to reach students on campus. When an emergency arises, call (505) 277-7872. The staff will access the student’s schedule from the data base file and determine if it is possible to reach the student in class. A staff member then takes a message directly to the student’s classroom. The responsibility for informing family, friends, schools and day care centers of this service and its corresponding phone number rests with the student.

Recreational Services

The University of New Mexico students have access to outstanding recreational opportunities through Recreational Services. The program serves the entire University community by promoting relaxation, proper use of time, achievement, and mental and physical health. Present your University of New Mexico Lobo Card to the attendant at the western Main Entrance of Johnson Center to access the facilities. The facilities and programs include:

Facilities–Three gymnasiums, seven tennis courts, three swimming pools, wrestling-combative area, weight room, racquetball courts and numerous playing fields.

Fitness & Wellness Programs–A variety of fitness and wellness classes and workshops including: salsa aerobics, water aerobics, step aerobics, yoga, pilates, kickboxing, and personal training.

Getaway Adventure Program–Activities and clinics such as cross-country skiing, camping and fishing, white-water rafting and exploring ancient cliff dwellings foster skills and opportunities to “get away”.

Recreational Sports–Team Activities: Men’s, women’s and “co-rec” competition in sports such as basketball, cross-country, flag football, slow pitch, soccer, swimming, volleyball and dodgeball. Individual and Dual Activities: Include sports such as archery, badminton, billiards, karate, racquetball, table tennis, tennis, arm wrestling and golf.

Outdoor/Bike Shop–Camping and backpacking equipment–tents, skis, backpacks and much more–at very reasonable rental rates. Other recreational equipment such as volleyball sets, golf clubs, softball equipment and horseshoes are also for rent. The bike shop offers bike maintenance and bike rentals.

Excel: Adaptive Fitness–This program provides recreational opportunities for disabled students, faculty, staff and community members. This program offers classes in adaptive strength training, deep water exercise and stretching.

Sports Clubs–Join a sport club or start your own club. We will point you in the right direction. Current clubs include: Karate, Rodeo, Ultimate Frisbee, Gymnastics and Rugby.

Challenge Course Program–The Challenge Course Program is to provide team-building activities by offering unique challenges through the use of the low ropes course, climbing wall and cooperative games. Its focus is providing unique team building experiences for UNM student groups and UNM departments.

For more program information contact Recreation Services, Johnson Center Room 1102, or

Office of International Programs and Studies

The Office of International Programs and Studies (OIPS) is the locus of university-wide efforts to promote international education and exchange. OIPS promotes international linkages, cultural exchange, and the development of international expertise across all sectors of the university. It provides opportunities to study overseas through exchange and proprietary study abroad programs, assists international students and scholars to study and work at UNM, and offers intensive English language programs at the intermediate and advanced level to non-native English speakers in preparation for matriculation as degree-seeking students at the university. The office is organized into three divisions, described separately below.

The Study Abroad Division administers international exchange programs whereby UNM students exchange places for a semester or academic year with international students from some 80 universities in 35 countries. Study abroad advisors work closely with the Latin American and Iberian Institute to promote similar exchanges in Latin America. OIPS also manages a UNM program in Rome, Italy that offers semester-length and summer term programming in several disciplines. Staff members assist students in identifying other study abroad opportunities, such as short-term faculty-led programs, consortia programs abroad, and other third-party international programs. Students can draw from an extensive resource center and online resources when seeking opportunities for international study, research, internships, or volunteer programs. Additionally, advisors offer information and support for students and faculty seeking support from a variety of Fulbright programs, the Benjamin Gilman fellowship program, the David Boren National Security Education Program, and university-sponsored assistance programs. Through pre-departure orientations and continued monitoring and support of program participants while abroad, staff members strive to assure that every student has a safe, productive and stimulating international and intercultural experience. The Study Abroad Division also serves as the institutional host for incoming international exchange students by providing orientation services, social integration, academic advising, and cultural exposure for program participants.

The International Student and Scholar Services (ISS) Division of OIPS acts as an essential resource center for services, information, and assistance to the more than 1400 international students, researchers and visiting scholars from over 90 countries in residence at UNM each year.  The ISS Division provides orientations, workshops, and social and cultural integration activities which familiarize international students and scholars with the campus and community, immigration requirements, logistics of living in the US, and the services available to them at UNM.  The ISS section also works with volunteers to carry out Airport Pick-up, Short-term Home-stay, House-hunting and Garage Giveaway programs, an International Friendship partner program, and a “Volunteers in Tax Assistance” (VITA) site for international students and scholars.  Regular social and cultural activities and excursions in New Mexico and nearby states are organized to provide cultural enrichment and social opportunities for international students and scholars and their families.  The division also sponsors an annual International Festival to highlight and celebrate the diverse cultures represented at the University of New Mexico.

The ISS Division facilitates individual and University compliance with all relevant federal and state government regulations and UNM internal policies affecting international students and scholars.  ISS staff act as liaisons with the Department of Homeland Security, Department of State and other federal and state agencies on behalf of international students and scholars and the University to provide information and assistance on rules and regulations, complete required reporting, work authorizations, immigration and other procedures and to help advocate for workable policies.

The Center for English Language and American Culture (CELAC), the third division within OIPS, provides intensive English courses to non-native English speakers intending to develop college-level proficiency in order to prepare for academic study or employment. CELAC offers five levels of instruction in the following subjects: Grammar, Written Composition, Listening Comprehension and Conversation, and Reading Comprehension and Vocabulary. Classes meet Monday through Friday for four hours every day. For more information on this program visit the CELAC web site: ; contact the OIPS office by phone (505) 277-4032, or the program office by e-mail

The Office of International Programs and Studies is located in Mesa Vista Hall, Room 2111, (505) 277-4032. For more information visit us at .

Other Resources for Students

Academic Adjustments for Students with Disabilities

In keeping with the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the University is committed to providing equal access to educational opportunities for qualified students with disabilities. THe University shall provide reasonable academic adjustments to qualified students with disabilities as necessary to ensure quality of access to the courses, programs, services, and facilities of the University. However, students with disabilities are still required to adhere to all University policies, including policies concerning conduct and performance.

The student is responsible for demonstrating the need for an academic adjustment by providing University Accessibility Services with complete and appropriate current documentation that establishes the disability, and the need for and appropriateness fo the requested adjustments(s). The University is responsible for all costs of academic adjustments.

Center for Academic Program Support

Center for Academic Program Support (CAPS) is the University of New Mexico’s academic support center. It offers free academic assistance UNM undergraduate students for Math, Science, Language, a variety of other courses, and Writing across all disciplines. CAPS meets the needs of a large student population with individual tutoring, discipline-specific workshops, study strategies workshops, test reviews, study groups, drop-in tutoring labs, language conversation groups, Supplemental Instruction (SI) sessions, and online tutoring.

The tutors, Supplemental Instruction leaders, and graduate consultants are UNM undergraduate and graduate students, recommended by UNM faculty and trained by CAPS Tutor Training Program.

CAPS houses five programs:

The Math/Science Tutoring Program provides an accessible community of learning for undergraduate courses in the math and sciences, guided by peer tutors with firsthand knowledge of content and the in-class demands at UNM through both individual appointments and drop-in lab tutoring, discipline-specific workshops, and test reviews.

The Online Tutoring Program features a website ( with tutorials and links to other academic websites from universities around the world. UNM students may also submit academic papers to the online writing lab (OWL) and receive assistance, chat live with a tutor, or e-mail questions about coursework.

The SI Program offers weekly review sessions associated with challenging courses that review course content, teach study strategies, and develop effective study habits and critical thinking skills. The sessions focus on not only what to learn but also how to learn.

The Writing and Language Center assists students with writing assignments and language learning in undergraduate and graduate courses at any stage of the writing or language learning process. Writing/Language tutors work with students in English (including students for whom English is a second language) as well as in other languages, including Spanish and Navajo.

The Study Strategies Program provides workshops and individual appointments that enhance students’ ability to navigate their coursework by focusing on topics like time management, memorization, critical thinking, and test-taking skills.

CAPS staff offices are located on the third floor of Zimmerman Library. Services take place in Zimmerman Library, Mesa Vista Hall, Student Union Building, Humanities Building 309, Student Support and Services Center, College of Engineering, University Advisement and Enrichment Center, and other classrooms across campus. For more information call (505) 277-7205, e-mail us at, or visit our Web site at

Course Search:

Keyword Search:

Office of the Registrar

MSC 11 6325
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131

Phone: (505) 277-8900
Fax: (505) 277-6809