Undergraduate Academic Advisement

Office of University Advisement

Vanessa Harris, M.P.A., Director of University Advisement
University Advisement and Enrichment Center, Suite 105
MSC06 3735
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
Phone: (505) 277-7000
Fax: (505) 277-3173
E-mail: directoradvising@unm.edu
Web site: http://advisement.unm.edu/

The Office of University Advisement (OUA) is responsible for the institutional leadership, mission, and professional development of academic advising at the University of New Mexico.

The purpose of the OUA is to set best practices and create advising initiatives that support the professional development of advisors and the diverse needs of the University of New Mexico student population.


  • Advisor training
  • Advising best practices across UNM
  • Assessment of advising
  • LoboAchieve
  • Early alerts
  • Student complaints
  • Advisor competency certification
  • Dual credit
  • Transfer advisement

For more information about specific college advisement, refer to individual college Web sites or sections of this Catalog.

Admission Requirements and Academic Regulations

All undergraduate, non-degree undergraduate and non-degree graduate students who are admitted to the University but have not yet met the requirements to enter their desired degree-granting college are admitted to University College (UC), and advised by the University College Advisement Center (UCAC). UCAC is responsible for regulating and administering the University Academic policies and procedures. UCAC works collaboratively with other advisement centers to assist students in the formulation of their academic directions, goals, and plans. All students in University College are required to meet with a UCAC academic advisor every semester prior to registration, and receive a registration hold on their account.

Semester visits with an advisor are required to ensure students are taking the courses needed to transfer into their degree-granting colleges in a timely manner, or to help students who wish to explore several possible programs of study. Advising visits are required with the UCAC until students are admitted to their intended degree-granting college or until they are no longer eligible to enroll in one of the admissions categories supervised by this office. The UCAC advisor helps the student explore interests and abilities, career options, discuss academic strengths and weaknesses, and explain the applicable university regulations and policies.

Students with an area of interest or a definite major in mind should also meet with that departmental advisor, as well as their appropriate college or program advisor. This ensures that they obtain current curriculum and admissions information. Although these students may be directed to a college advisement center for course advisement, UCAC maintains their records and is responsible for their general academic oversight.

Admission to Degree-Granting Colleges from University College

The minimum requirements for transfer from University College to any other University of New Mexico degree-granting college or school are:

  1. Meeting the prerequisite requirements to transfer into their degree-granting college.
  2. A grade point average of at least 2.00 on all credit hours attempted; or a grade point average of at least 2.00 on all credit hours attempted in the previous two semesters of enrollment, provided that if fewer than 26 credit hours were attempted in the previous two semesters, a grade point average of at least 2.00 shall be required on all work attempted in as many previous consecutive semesters as are necessary to bring the student’s credit hours attempted to at least 30. (See definition of grade point average in this catalog.)

NOTE: Most colleges and schools have admission requirements beyond the minimum noted above. In many instances a grade point average much higher than a 2.00 minimum is required. In addition, most of them also have specific course requirements before students are admitted to their program. For information on admission requirements of a particular degree-granting college or school, students should refer to the admission regulations set forth in the section of this catalog devoted to that college or school.

Students should apply for admission or transfer to a degree-granting program as soon as they meet the admission requirements for the college or school of their choice. Students must initiate the transfer process at the college or school of their intended major. If the student is admitted to the college, the transfer usually takes place for a following semester (or summer session) during which the student files for transfer and is accepted by the degree-granting unit.

College Advisement Centers

(Associate, Baccalaureate, Majors and Concentrations)

Anderson Schools of Management
Office: Advisement Center, First Floor, East Wing
(505) 277-3888

School of Architecture and Planning
Office: Pearl Hall 114
(505) 277-2903

College of Arts and Sciences
Office: University Advisement and Enrichment Center
Rm. 135
(505) 277-4621

Students currently enrolled in the College of Arts and Sciences must seek advisement with the College of Arts and Sciences Advisement Center and/or their department of major. Prospective students that lack requirements for admission should go to UCAC or their intended major department.

College of Education
Office: Hokona Hall 134
(505) 277-3190

School of Engineering
Office: CEC 2080
(505) 277-4354

College of Fine Arts
Office: CA 1103
(505) 277-4817

College of Nursing
Office: NRPH 152
(505) 272-4223

College of Pharmacy
Office: NRPH 188
(505) 272-0583

University Advisement
Office: University Advisement and Enrichment Center
Suite 105
(505) 277-2631

Health Professions and Public Health Programs
Dental Hygiene (B.S.), Novitski Hall 204 (505) 272-4513; Emergency Medicine, 2700 Yale SE, Suite 100 (505) 272-5757; Medical Laboratory Sciences, HSSB 217 (505) 272-5434; Nuclear Medicine Imaging, Surge Suite 251 (505) 272-1402; Occupational Therapy, HSSB 215 (505) 272-1753; Physical Therapy, HSSB 204 (505) 272-5755; Physician Assistant Program, HSSP 217 (505) 272-5254; Medical Imaging Program, HSSB 217 (505) 272-5254

Medical School (Admissions)
Office: BMSB 106

Course Search:

Keyword Search:

Office of the Registrar

MSC 11 6325
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131

Phone: (505) 277-8900
Fax: (505) 277-6809