Student Services Information


The Records and Registration Office is responsible for the maintenance of the educational records at the University of New Mexico. This includes, but is not limited to, student transcripts, academic folders and faculty grade reports. The following information refers to some of the policies and procedures for educational records. Note: Proper photo identification (driver’s license, LoboCard, passport or other state or federally issued identification) is required for all in-person transactions.

Use of Social Security Numbers

The Social Security Number (SSN) is not the primary University identification number. The Banner ID/student ID number is the primary University identification number. UNM is required to collect SSN in order to provide full access to services such as financial aid, to ensure an accurate academic record, student employment, and for record-keeping and statistical purposes. The University protects the confidentiality of SSN as required by law.

Access to and Confidentiality of Student Records

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) November 19, 1974

Student Records Policy

Approved by the University President 4/93. Amended 3/20/96.

Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), students have the right to inspect and review most education records maintained about them by the University of New Mexico, and, in many cases, decide if a third person can obtain information from them. Nine categories of information, however, are public (or directory information) unless a student asks that some or all of that information be withheld. It is the policy of the University to comply fully and fairly with the provisions of the Act, Federal Regulations and this policy.

Limitations on Access to Student Records
No one inside or outside the University shall have access to, nor will the contents of students’ education records be disclosed without the written consent of the students except as provided by the Act and Regulations. Exceptions in the Act and Regulations include but are not limited to the following: personnel within the institution determined by the institution to have a legitimate educational interest, officials of other institutions in which students seek to enroll or are enrolled, persons or organizations providing student financial aid, accrediting agencies carrying out their accreditation function, persons in compliance with judicial orders and persons in an emergency when necessary to protect the health or safety of students or other persons.

Students’ Right of Access to Review Their Records
A student has the right to inspect and review all education records about him or her except:

  • Personal notes (available only to writer or substitute) of University staff and faculty.
  • Certain student employment records.
  • Counseling records used solely for treatment.
  • Certain records of the University Police.
  • Parents’ financial records.
  • Confidential letters and statements of recommendation placed in the records before January 1, 1975.
  • Confidential letters and statements of recommendation for admission, employment, or honorary recognition placed in the records after January 1, 1975, which students have waived the right to inspect and review.

Informing Students of Their Rights
This policy will be published in the UNM Pathfinder or its successor.

Location of Student Records
Student records are not maintained in a central location. Instead, these records are maintained by each office with which a student has contact while enrolled at the University. A partial list of places where educational records are maintained by various University offices is listed below.

  • Admissions Office, Director of Admissions, Student Support and Services Center
  • Career Counseling and Placement, Director, Career Counseling and Placement, University Advisement and Enrichment Center
  • Cashiers and Student Accounting, Bursar, John and June Perovich Business Center
  • Center College and Department Offices, Academic Dean, or see individual college listing in the course schedule
  • Dean of Students Office, Dean of Students, University Advisement and Enrichment Center
  • Graduate Studies, Dean, Graduate Studies, Humanities Building
  • Housing Services, SRC Commons
  • Records and Registration Office, Registrar, Student Support and Services Center
  • Student Financial Aid, Director, Student Financial Aid, Student Support and Services Center

Student Rights and Technology
Technology may be used for virtual meetings in your courses. Use of such technology is governed by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), the UNM Acceptable Computer Use Policy, UNM Computer Use Guidelines, and UNM’s Student Code of Conduct. Sharing Electronic video and/or audio recording of the class with participants outside of the class is not permitted without the written consent of the instructor and each participating student individually. The form to obtain written consent is available on the Registrar's Office website. If a student in the course is uncomfortable with completing the FERPA consent waiver, then the student should talk with their advisor or instructor to determine whether successful participation in the class is still possible, or whether another course will meet the student’s degree requirements.

If permission for electronic video and/or audio recording is granted, any distribution of the recording is prohibited. You may not share class recordings with anyone outside of this course and doing so may result in disciplinary action. Students with specific electronic recording accommodations authorized by the University of New Mexico Accessibility Resources Center do not require instructor permission; however, the instructor must be notified of any such accommodation prior to recording. A record of all meetings and recordings is kept and stored by UNM, in accordance with these policies. Guest instructors and other participants may also attend our class meetings. Your instructor will not share course access in relation to class activities outside of the course participants, which include your fellow students, TAs/GAs, and any guest instructors, guest students, or community-based learning partners that we may engage with to achieve the stated course objectives.

Records Excluded from the Definition “Education” or “Student” Records
The following categories of records are not included in the term “education records” or “student records” under the Act:

  • Records of instructional, supervisory, administrative and certain educational personnel which are in the sole possession of the maker and are not revealed to any other individual (except a substitute who performs on a temporary basis the duties of the person who made the record).
  • Records of the University Police. These records are maintained and created by the University Police Department for the purpose of law enforcement. Their disclosure is subject to rules and regulations of the University Police, consistent with applicable law.
  • Records relating to individuals who are employed by the University which are made and maintained in the normal course of business, relate exclusively to individuals in their capacity as employees and are not available for use for any other purpose. However, it should be noted that records of individuals in attendance at the University who are employed as a result of their status as students are education records and as such may be inspected by the student.
  • Records which contain only information about a person after that person is no longer a student at the institution, e.g., information gathered on the accomplishments of alumni.

Review Policies and Procedures
Requests to inspect and review records must be made, in writing, to the office that keeps the records. Although it is the University’s policy that requests to inspect records be honored as promptly as possible, the offices have up to 45 days to honor such requests.
It is the policy of the University to provide the student upon request with photocopies of her or his records where that will help the student in inspection and review of the records unless: (1) the record to be copied is an examination, in which case permission of the faculty member is necessary, or (2) where a student’s record is being withheld because of an outstanding financial obligation to the University. Fees for photocopies of materials in the records are the same as University offices charge for photocopies of other materials. At its option, an office may furnish copies at no charge, or take the materials to a copy/duplicating center on campus, where the current rate for cash work will be charged.

Release Policies and Procedures, University Employees and Agents
The University will not disclose personally identifiable information from a student’s education record without the student’s written consent, except when it is permitted by the Act and Regulations. As permitted by the Act and Regulations, information will be disclosed without the student’s consent to University officials with a legitimate educational interest. These officials or their agents, and their interests, include:

  • Any University employee who needs the information to fulfill job responsibilities.
  • University collection agents only for the purposes of collecting debts owed to the University.
  • Legal counsel advising or representing the University.
  • National Collegiate Athletic Association and the Mountain West Athletic Conference only for the purposes of conforming to eligibility rules for athletic competition.
  • Contractors, such as data processing, only for the purposes of performing work under contract for the University.
  • Honorary societies, and other chartered student organizations, only for determining membership eligibility/requirements, when the societies and/or organizations do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race/ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, serious medical condition, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, spousal affiliation, veteran status, genetic information, or other characteristics protected by applicable law.
  • FERPA allows an educational agency or institution to disclose personally identifiable information from an education record of a student without written consent if the disclosure is to organizations conducting research for, or on behalf of educational agencies or institutions to
    • Develop, validate, or administer predictive tests,
    • Administer student aid programs, and/or
    • Improve instruction (34 CFR § 99.31)
      • If the researcher is a school official with legitimate education interest (34 CFR § 99.31(a) (1); or
      • If the researcher is conducting studies for or on behalf of the school (34 CFR § 99.31 (a) (6). 
  • Officials of cooperating universities in which the student is enrolled or has applied.

Release to Alleged Victims of Crimes of Violence
The results of any disciplinary proceeding conducted by the University in response to allegations of a crime of violence allegedly committed by a student shall be disclosed upon request to the alleged victim(s) of such crime of violence.

Directory or Public Information Categories
The University, in accord with the Act, has designated categories of information about students as “directory information” which is public unless a student asks to have all of it withheld. These categories are:

  • Name
  • Major field of study
  • Enrollment Status
  • Dates of attendance (matriculation and withdrawal dates)
  • Degrees and awards received (type of degree and date granted)
  • Participation in officially recognized activities and sports, and weight and height of members of athletic teams.

A student wishing to keep confidential the “directory information” listed above must file a written request with the Office of the Registrar. This request may be submitted in person, by mail or fax. Once a confidential privacy flag has been placed on a student’s record the directory/public information will not be released to individuals, companies or third party entities outside the University of New Mexico. The confidential privacy flag will not automatically be removed upon graduation from the University of New Mexico. If you have requested a confidential privacy flag, your name will not appear in the University of New Mexico Commencement Program.
The removal of the confidential privacy flag may be requested in person and in writing by fax or mail. The address is: Records and Registration Office, MSC11 6325, 1 University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001. The fax number is (505) 277-6809. The following information is needed to process the request by fax or mail: student name, Social Security number and signature.

Requests for Disclosure
University offices will maintain a record of disclosures and requests for disclosure of personally identifiable information from a student’s record except when the request for disclosure is directory information, pursuant to the student’s consent, or is to a school official described in this policy. It is the policy of the University to permit the student to inspect this record of disclosures and requests for disclosure pertaining to his or her records. All disclosures (except for disclosures to the student or disclosures of directory information) shall be made on the condition that the information shall not be further disclosed without the student’s consent.

Right to Challenge Information in Student Records
It is the policy of the University that a student may challenge any information in his or her education records which he or she believes to be inaccurate, misleading or in violation of privacy. This right does not extend to reviewing grades unless the grade assigned by a professor was inaccurately recorded in the records. A student may also insert a statement in the records explaining any such material from his or her point of view. If a student wishes to challenge information in the file, he or she must make a written request for a hearing to the dean, director, or chairperson of the office which maintains the record. In most cases, the decision of the dean, director or chairperson will be final. However, a student may appeal in writing to the Associate Provost or the Vice President for Health Sciences or their designee, as the case may be, who will review the decision only if a significant question of policy or compliance with the law appears to be raised by the case.

Waiver of Rights Not Required
It is the policy of the University that students not be required to waive their rights under the Act before receiving University services or benefits.

Assistance with Problems or Questions about Compliance

  • If a student has questions about the provisions of the Act, he or she may contact the Office of the Registrar.
  • If a student believes that the University has not complied with the Act, he or she should direct comments concerning this to the Office of the Registrar.
  • If a student believes that the University has not complied with the Act, written complaints may be filed with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act Office (FERPA), U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue, SW., Washington, D.C. 20202-4605, telephone (202) 732-1807.
  • The Registrar shall either resolve the issue or shall refer it to the appropriate University body for resolution.
  • Copies of and information about the Rights and Privacy Act are available in the Records and Registration Office, Student Support and Services Center.

Disclosure of Institutional (General Student Body) Graduation/Completion and Transfer-out Rates

The University of New Mexico provides the following information regarding the institution’s graduation/completion rates. The information is provided in compliance with the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended. The rates reflect the graduation/completion status of students who enrolled during the 2012–2013 school year and for whom 150% of the normal time-to-completion has elapsed.

During the Fall Semester of 2012, 3,372 first-time, full-time, certificate or degree-seeking undergraduates entered UNM. After 6 years (as of August 31, 2018), 49.9% of these students had graduated from the institution or completed their programs.

Questions related to this report should be directed to the Enrollment Management Reporting Team, Student Support and Services Center, (505) 277-6419.

While reviewing this information, bear in mind:

  • The graduation/completion rate is based on six years of attendance that equates to 150% of our longest program.
  • We have elected not to report our transfer-out rate because our university’s mission does not include providing substantial preparation for students to enroll in other institutions.

Demographic Information Updates

Change of Address/Phone

Current students may process a change of address or phone number for their academic records by using LoboWeb, Personal Information– Update My Information.

Change of Legal Name

To process a name change for academic records students must bring appropriate documentation to the Records and Registration Office. The appropriate documentation includes proper photo identification (valid driver’s license, military ID, passport or other state- or federally-issued picture identification) and the Social Security card showing the new name. The name on the photo identification must match the name on the Social Security card. No other type of documentation is accepted.

LoboCard and LoboCa$h

A non-transferable photo identification card is issued to each University of New Mexico student. The ID card, also known as the LoboCard, allows students to check out materials from UNM libraries; and to access recreational services, Student Health and Counseling (SHAC), athletic events, and campus meal plans.

The LoboCard can also be used to access the student LoboCa$h account. LoboCa$h is a prepaid spending account with a balance that declines each time it is used (by swiping your LoboCard) to make purchases at the food venues in the SUB, campus convenience stores, La Posada, UNM Bookstores, off-campus merchants, and printing in most computer pods. Visit the LoboCa$h Web site for additional information.

The following policies are in effect for the LoboCard:

1.  The LoboCard is the property of the University of New Mexico.

2.  The card is issued once and is valid upon admission to the University. It is activated upon a student’s enrollment for a particular term. The LoboCard remains valid for the duration of a student’s college career, and it activates and deactivates according to enrollment status. ID cards may be obtained at the LoboCard office. Proper photo identification (driver’s license, passport, other state/federally issued identification, etc.) is required.

3.  LoboCards are issued with the student's name as recorded in the University Student Information System, unless the student registers an affirmed/preferred first name.

Affirmed/Preferred First Name: UNM recognizes that individuals may prefer to use a first name other than a legal name to identify themselves. As long as the use of this affirmed/preferred first name is not for the purposes of misrepresentation or to avoid a legal obligation, individuals may use their affirmed/preferred first name in UNM systems wherever that functionality is enabled and permitted. Affirmed/preferred first names are limited to alphabetical characters and certain special characters. Individuals requesting an affirmed/preferred first name must present a government-issued photo ID matching the legal first and last name contained in the LoboCard Office's carding software. The Registrar's Office will review affirmed/preferred first name changes regularly. Any decision to remove an affirmed/preferred first name will be made by a committee comprised of the Registrar and a representative from each of the the following: the Dean of Students Office, the Division of Equity and Inclusion, the Office of Equal Opportunity, University Counsel, and an ad hoc representative.

4.  Updates to name or other student identifying information require that the change be reported to the Records and Registration Office prior to LoboCard re-issuance.

5.  Lost or stolen LoboCards must be reported as soon as possible to the LoboCard Office.

  • A non-refundable, non-waivable fee is collected for replacement or reprinted LoboCards.
  • Payment of a replacement fee constitutes authority for the deactivation and deletion of the missing identification card from the University of New Mexico’s card database. Once that occurs, the old LoboCard can never be reactivated.
  • Students should contact the card office to inquire if a lost card has been returned.
  • LoboCa$h purchasing activity can be suspended immediately, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, via the LoboCa$h Web site.

6.  Fraudulent use of a LoboCard is cause for card privileges to be revoked. Unauthorized alteration, production, use, possession or reproduction of a LoboCard is prohibited, may constitute theft, and can result in prosecution (30-14-2 NMSA 1978). In addition, such action could result in referral to the Dean of Students Office for disciplinary proceedings and/or to appropriate authorities for legal action.

The LoboCard Office is located in the Student Union Building, LoboCard Web site(505) 277-9970.

Non-Resident Students

The student is responsible for obtaining the correct residency classification prior to the end of the second week of the semester. A student not classified as a New Mexico resident for tuition purposes is charged tuition as a non-resident. Refer to the Residency section below.


Summary of Regulations for New Mexico Residency for Tuition Purposes

A student who enters and remains in this State principally to obtain an education is presumed to continue to reside outside this state, and such presumption continues in effect until rebutted by clear and convincing evidence of bona fide residence. A student determined to be financially dependent on an out-of-state parent or guardian also assumes the residency of that parent or guardian. The burden of proof is on the student. The student must secure and file the residency petition with the appropriate documents of evidence in the manner described herein. All documents submitted for this purpose are kept confidential. Residency petitions are accepted until the second Friday of each Fall and Spring semester (and Summer term for Nursing students) in the Mesa Vista Hall North One-Stop.

To become a legal resident for tuition purposes of the State of New Mexico, the student must meet four basic requirements. Each person must individually meet the requirements.

The 12-Month Consecutive Presence Requirement
A student must physically reside in the state for 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the term for which the student submits a petition.

The Financial Independence Requirement
A student who is financially dependent on parents or legal guardians who are not residents of New Mexico cannot be approved for residency. At the time the student petitions for residency (if under 23 years of age), a copy of the parents’ or guardians’ 1040 or 1040A U.S. income tax form for the previous year must be submitted with the petition. If shown to be a dependent on that tax form, the student is not eligible to establish residency apart from the parents or guardians.

The Written Declaration of Intent Requirement
The student must sign a written declaration of intent to relinquish residency in another state and to establish it in New Mexico (included in residency petition).

The Overt Acts Requirement
Overt acts are required to evidence support of the written declaration of intent to establish permanent residency in New Mexico. Documentation of two of the following is required:

  1. If the applicant is financially dependent, a copy of the parents’ or guardians’ previous year income tax form showing the applicant as a dependent and the parents’ address as New Mexico;
  2. A New Mexico high school transcript issued in the past year confirming attendance at a New Mexico public or private high school within the past 12 months;
  3. A transcript from an online high school showing a New Mexico address confirming attendance within the past 12 months;
  4. A New Mexico driver’s license or ID card with an original date of issue or a renewal date issued prior to the first day of the term or semester;
  5. Proof of payment of New Mexico state income tax for the previous year;
  6. Evidence of employment within the state of New Mexico;
  7. New Mexico vehicle registration;
  8. Voter registration in New Mexico;
  9. Proof of residential property ownership in New Mexico;
  10. A rental agreement within New Mexico;
  11. Utility bills showing the applicant's name and a New Mexico address;
  12. Other evidence which would reasonably support the individual’s intent to establish and maintain New Mexico residency.

Any act considered inconsistent with being a New Mexico resident will cause the request for resident classification to be denied. As such, other relevant factors may be considered in addition to the items listed above.


  1. A person who has moved to New Mexico and has obtained permanent full-time employment (sufficient documentation is required) and his/her spouse and dependent children shall not be required to complete the 12-month durational requirement. However, all other requirements must be satisfied.
  2. Active duty military members stationed in New Mexico, their spouses and dependents are eligible for waivers of non-resident tuition. Members of the National Guard, their spouses and dependents are also eligible for waivers of non-resident tuition. A form must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar by the second Friday of the term to obtain these waivers.

According to the University of New Mexico’s tuition policy:

Non-resident, degree-seeking graduate students enrolled for six or fewer credit hours in their first two semesters are charged resident tuition rates. 

Students enrolling for the Summer session are charged resident tuition rates regardless of residency classification (except those in the College of Nursing). Nursing students may apply for residency for tuition purposes by the first week of the summer session.

The residency petition and a brochure that explains requirements for establishing New Mexico residency for tuition purposes and special tuition status waivers are available from the Mesa Vista Hall North One-Stop. For more information, visit the Office of the Registrar Web site.

Schedule of Classes

The Schedule of Classes is an official online publication of the Office of the Registrar. The publication includes course offerings, dates, times, and class locations. The schedule can be accessed at the Schedule Web site.


Registration Procedures

Details are outlined on the StudentInfo Web site.

Payment of Tuition and Fees

Payment of tuition and fees is required to complete registration. For specific information regarding tuition, fees, payment and payment deadline dates refer to the Bursar's Office Web site.

Methods of Instruction, Class Hours, and Credit Hours Information

Methods of Instruction

The University of New Mexico and its branches offer courses with the following methods of instruction: Community-Based Research, Hybrid, Open Learning, Online, Laboratory, and Service Learning.

Class Hours and Credit Hours

For all methods of instruction, UNM’s assignment and award of credit hours conforms to commonly accepted practices in higher education in accordance with federal regulations 34 CFR 602.24(f).

The minimum requirements for assigning one (1) semester credit hour consists of one (1) 50-minute period of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two (2) hours of out-of-class student work each week of the semester, or at least an equivalent amount of work as established by the degree granting college.

Course Load Guidelines


Fall/Spring Semesters

  • Full-time: 12 or more credit hours.
  • Three-quarter time: 9-11 credit hours.
  • Half-time: 6-11 credit hours.
  • Less than half-time: 5 or fewer credit hours.

Summer Session

  • Full-time: 6 or more credit hours.
  • College of Nursing full-time: 12 or more credit hours.
  • Three-quarter time: 5 credit hours.
  • College of Nursing three-quarter time: 9-11 credit hours.
  • Half-time: 3-5 credit hours.
  • College of Nursing half-time: 6-11 credit hours.
  • Less than half-time: 1 or 2 credit hours.
  • College of Nursing less than half-time: 5 or fewer credit hours.

Graduate Students

Fall/Spring Semesters

  • Full-time: 9 or more credit hours / 6 credit hours and an assistantship.
  • Three-quarter time: 7 or 8 credit hours.
  • Half-time: 5–6 credit hours.
  • Less than half-time: 4 or fewer credit hours.

Summer Session

  • Full-time: 6 or more credit hours / 3 credit hours and an assistantship.
  • College of Nursing full-time: 9 or more credit hours / 6 credit hours and an assistantship.
  • Three-quarter time: 5 credit hours.
  • College of Nursing three-quarter time: 7 or 8 credit hours.
  • Half-time: 3-5 credit hours.
  • College of Nursing half-time: 5-8 credit hours.
  • Less than half-time: 1 or 2 credit hours.
  • College of Nursing less than half-time: 4 or fewer credit hours.

Students withdrawing after the grade required deadline are subject to a grade of "W" (withdrawal). The W grade is not included in the total course load. Courses taken in Audit status are also not included in total course load.

Enrollment Limit

Undergraduate students may not take more than 18 credit hours during a semester and 9 credit hours during the Summer session, except with approval from the student’s academic advisor. Summer enrollment limit for College of Nursing students is 18 credit hours. Students in non-degree status who have not earned at least a baccalaureate-level degree must contact the University Advisement Center at (505) 277-2631 to discuss enrollment limitations and options.

Addition of Correspondence or Extension Courses to Program. A resident student may enroll for correspondence and extension courses only when the addition of such courses does not cause the course load to be over the maximum.

Registration Restrictions

Prerequisite and Corequisite Requirements

The University of New Mexico checks prerequisites on all courses numbered 100 – 499. If a student does not have the required prerequisite(s), he/she is not able to register for the specific course. All prerequisites must be completed with a C or higher letter grade, unless otherwise identified by the academic department/unit offering the course.

Corequisite checking occurs for all courses numbered 100 – 499. Registration for corequisite courses must occur at the same time. A student is not able to register for one corequisite course without the other.

Additional Restrictions

Colleges and Departments may further restrict access to their courses based on Campus, Classification, College, Degree, Level, Major, Program and/or special permission requirements. Overrides for these restrictions may be requested from the department offering the course or from the instructor (in most cases). For more information, see FastInfo answer #4060 at the StudentInfo Web site.

Enrollment Certification

Enrollment Certifications are requested by individuals, institutions or organizations for information related to a student’s past or current enrollment. Information requested normally takes the form of validation of confirmed degrees, dates of attendance or whether a student is enrolled full- or part-time. Enrollment Certificates display the student's legal first name.

The National Student Clearinghouse is the University of New Mexico’s authorized agent for providing enrollment and degree verifications. If an employer or background-screening firm requests such information, refer them to the National Student Clearinghouse at (703) 742-4200 or the National Student Clearinghouse Web site.

Verification forms from financial lenders should be sent directly to the National Student Clearinghouse for fastest response.

The University of New Mexico will produce an Enrollment Certificate validating a student’s status for the current semester, not earlier than January 1 for the Spring semester and not earlier than August 1 for the Fall semester. If a student wishes to have his/her entire academic history certified, or semesters not covered by the certification process, the student must request a transcript. The University of New Mexico does not certify expected graduation date. Military dependents requesting exception to this policy must submit a written request explaining the need for a Pre-Registration Certificate, provide a copy of their current military ID, and be enrolled for a minimum of 12 credit hours on the immediately-upcoming semester.

The certification document can be mailed, faxed, or emailed on request, or it may be picked up with proper photo identification (valid driver’s license, military ID, passport or other state- or federally-issued picture identification, or LoboCard.). The Enrollment Certificate replaces the institutionally specific forms. The Course Load Guidelines above are used to determine enrollment status for financial aid eligibility and loan deferments. Graduate students with an assistantship must submit a copy of their contract with their verification request.

Current students may also request an automated enrollment certificate through LoboWeb, which is received through their email account.

Changes in Enrollment

Once registered, students may process schedule changes during appropriate periods through the drop/add procedures. Procedures for schedule changes and deadlines are found on the Office of the Registrar Web site. Changes made after deadlines are subject to late transaction fees.

Summer Session and Short Courses. Deadlines for processing drops, adds, withdrawals and grade options for Summer session and short courses vary according to the length of the course. Consult the Office of the Registrar Web site for specific dates.

For 16-week courses, the following applies:

Add: A student may add courses or change sections through the second week of the semester.

Drop: A student may drop a course or courses without a grade during the first three weeks of the semester.

Withdrawal from a Course. After the third week a student may withdraw from a course until the end of the 12th week of the semester and is subject to a grade of "W". After the 12th week, course withdrawals are only accepted with approval from the dean or director of the student’s college. No withdrawals are accepted after the last day of instruction of the semester, prior to final exam week.

NOTE: Faculty are not responsible for dropping students who do not attend. It is the student’s responsibility to check the accuracy of his/her course schedule.

Change in Grading Option. Changes in grading option (including audit, pass-fail (CR/NC), letter grade, graduate credit) in any course may be made through the fourth week of the semester.

Students are responsible for ensuring they are registered in any course for the proper grading option.

Completion of Courses. Students are responsible for completing all courses in which they are enrolled at the University. Changes in enrollment, drops or withdrawals must be officially processed. A student who does not follow proper course or University withdrawal procedures may be given a failing grade and is responsible for tuition charges associated with the course.

Grade Options


A student may register to audit a course, with written permission of the instructor. A student who fails to attend class may be dropped at the instructor’s request. The fee for audited courses is the same as for credit courses.

Audit enrollment receives no credit and is not included in the student’s total course load for purposes of enrollment certification and financial aid enrollment requirements. Audited courses appear on the academic record. Courses taken for Audit may be repeated for credit.

Pass/Fail (CR/NC) Option

1.  This grading option is open to students enrolling in courses that do not apply to their major.
2.  A student is permitted to enroll in a maximum of 4 credit hours per semester under the pass/fail (CR/NC) grading option.
3.  CR (credit) is the equivalent of at least a grade of "C". Students who do not satisfactorily complete a course under pass/fail (CR/NC) grading receive NC (no credit).
4.  A course may be changed to the pass/fail (CR/NC) grade option. Visit the Office of the Registrar Web site for semester deadlines.
5.  A maximum of 24 credit hours graded pass/fail (CR/NC) is allowed toward a baccalaureate degree. Graduate students may not count more than 6 credit hours of coursework in which a grade of "C" (2.0), "C+" (2.33) or "CR" was earned.
6.  Courses which are specifically approved for pass/fail (CR/NC) grading are not included in the 24 credit hour maximum allowed toward degree requirements.
7.  The following may not be taken under the pass/fail (CR/NC) option:

  • Courses in the University Honors Program and the Undergraduate Seminar Program.
  • Courses that are part of the student’s major (as defined by the major department) with the exception of those courses specifically approved for use of pass/fail (CR/NC) grading.
  • Courses that are part of the student’s minor (see specific college and departmental requirements).
  • Correspondence courses.
  • Courses the student repeats after first taking the course under the regular grading system.

Some schools, scholarship committees and honorary societies do not accept this grading system and convert grades of “Credit” to"C" and “No Credit” to F when computing grade point averages, or may otherwise penalize students who use this option.

NOTE: Students may not be penalized by a department if, when selecting or changing a major field, they have taken a course in their major on a pass/fail (CR/NC) option basis.

Pass/Fail (CR/NC) Option for Graduate Students

No more than 6 credit hours of coursework in which a grade of "C" (2.0), "C+" (2.33) or "CR" (grading option selected by student) was earned may be credited toward a graduate degree. Courses offered only on a CR/NC basis and required by the graduate program are excluded from this limitation.

A graduate student has the option of enrolling in courses on a Pass/Fail (CR/NC) basis. However, if a graduate student with undergraduate deficiencies is required by the major department to take a lower-division course, the pass/fail (CR/NC) option is not available to the student.

Graduate Credit Option

For Undergraduate Students

Although courses numbered 500 and above are intended for graduate study, senior undergraduate students may receive undergraduate credit in such courses. Students must obtain advance approval from the course instructor and their college academic advisor.

To enroll in a graduate-level course for graduate credit, an undergraduate must first meet the following requirements:

  1. Be within 10 credit hours of earning the baccalaureate degree;
  2. Have an overall cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0; and
  3. Enroll in no more than 9 credit hours of graduate credit during that semester (6 credit hours during Summer session).

When these requirements are met, the student must complete a Level Restriction/Graduate Credit Authorization form, signed by the instructor, their college advisement office and the Graduate Studies office and submit it to the Records and Registration Office. The courses taken apply toward an advanced degree after completion of the baccalaureate. For all students with a minimum of 3.5 overall cumulative grade point average, up to 6 credit hours can be shared for both graduate and undergraduate credit with approval of the department’s graduate advisor. A grade of “B” or better must be obtained in the courses in order for them to be accepted for graduate credit.

NOTE: Undergraduates may not enroll in graduate “problems” courses for undergraduate credit.

For Non-Degree Students

No special action needs to be taken by non-degree students who wish to enroll in courses numbered 500 or higher, as these courses automatically carry graduate credit. To receive graduate credit for an approved 300- or 400-level course, a non-degree student must obtain signatures from the course instructor and the Graduate Studies office on a Level Restriction/Graduate Credit Authorization form. Non-degree, graduate-level coursework may be transferred into a graduate degree program on a limited basis.

Withdrawal from the University

  • Students can withdraw from all courses through the end of the 12th week by using LoboWeb if holds do not exist on their account. At the beginning of the thirteenth week, a student who is withdrawing from all courses must have approval from the Dean of Students Office. Students may contact the Dean of Students Office, (505) 277-3361, TDD (505) 277-6053, email for advisement on withdrawal from all courses.
  • Students who withdraw during the first three weeks (regular full semester) of classes do not receive a grade notation on their academic records. The notation on a student’s record is “Withdrew” followed by the date.
  • University withdrawals initiated after the third-week (regular full semester) of classes are subject to a grade of "W". All withdrawal grades are assigned by the instructor during the regular grading period. The notation on a student’s record is “Withdrew” followed by the date, along with the course name and grade assigned.
  • Summer Session and Short Courses. Deadlines for processing withdrawals for Summer session and short courses vary according to the length of the course. Consult the Semester Deadlines on the Office of the Registrar Web site for specific dates.
  • Students leaving the University during a semester without withdrawing according to this regulation are subject to faculty assigned grades.
  • Students are responsible for all outstanding financial obligations when withdrawing. See the “Tuition Refund Deadlines” section for more information.

Policy on Military Withdrawals

Under faculty regulations, students and/or their dependents who formally withdraw from the University before the end of the 12th week of the semester due to military obligations are entitled to a grade of "W" in each course in which they are enrolled. Unexpected military orders or evidence of active duty deployment, deployment in place, or involuntary/unplanned training must be made available to the Dean of Students Office via the LoboRESPECT Advocacy Center. A student and/or their dependent who withdraws due to military obligations after completing 12 weeks of instruction receives full credit for each enrolled course provided the instructor certifies a grade of "C" or higher for the course at the date of formal withdrawal. If the instructor certifies a grade less than "C", the student receives a grade of "W". The student must opt for either a tuition refund or for a grade assignment after the 12th week. A final semester senior who has satisfactorily completed at least half of the work for enrolled courses, provided these would complete degree requirements, may be certified for graduation by the faculty of their college. Any dependent seeking a military withdrawal must provide proof of that relationship. Visit the Dean of Students Web site for a “Request For Military Withdrawal” Form in order to initiate the Military Withdrawal process. Students who elect to enlist in the military with the expectation of receiving a tuition refund under this policy will be ​reviewed on a case-by-case basis by the Dean of Students office.


Transcripts will display the student's legal name as indicated in the student's UNM record.

Class Hours and Credit Hours

A class hour consists of 50 minutes. One class hour per week of recitation or lecture throughout a term earns a maximum of one (1) credit hour.

Course Numbering System

The University of New Mexico began the transition to a four-alpha, four-number (e.g., ENGL 2310) Common Core Course Number effective Fall 2019, in compliance with 5.55.5 NMAC. This transition will not affect all course numbers at once.

Courses offered at the University are numbered from 001 through 999:

  • 001 to 100 courses may or may not carry credit, but are not applicable to a baccalaureate degree.
  • 101 to 1999 courses are lower-division, and are normally open to freshmen.
  • 200 to 2999 courses are lower-division, and are normally open to sophomores.
  • 300 to 499 courses are upper-division, and are normally open to juniors, seniors and graduates.
  • 500 to 999 are graduate and professional level, and are normally open only to students enrolled in graduate degree programs, School of Law, College of Pharmacy, or the Doctor of Medicine program.

NOTE: Undergraduate or non-degree students without a degree may not enroll in any graduate problems courses for undergraduate credit.

Technical, vocational or special courses are applicable for baccalaureate credit only upon petition to and approval from the University of New Mexico degree granting unit.

Freshmen may in some instances qualify for courses numbered in the 200's. Courses numbered 300 and above are not open to lower-division students (freshmen and sophomores) except in rare instances, and then only with the approval of the college dean. When appropriate, students may be disenrolled from courses numbered 200 and above. See the individual college sections of this Catalog for specific regulations.

Official Transcripts

The fee for each official transcript requested is $10.00. There are additional shipping fees. Fees are subject to change.

Official transcripts may be withheld for financial reasons and are not released until the student’s outstanding financial obligations to the University have been paid, or until satisfactory payment arrangements have been made. All financial arrangements are handled in the Bursar’s Office.

Students may request and/or pick up transcripts in Mesa Vista North One-Stop or the Student Support and Services Center. Proper photo identification (valid driver’s license, military ID, passport or other state- or federally-issued picture identification, or LoboCard) is required when ordering and picking up transcripts in person.

Unofficial Transcripts

Current students may access their unofficial transcripts on LoboWeb.

Unofficial transcripts are free with a maximum of three copies per request.

Students may visit the Mesa Vista North One-Stop or the Student Support and Services Center to request and/or pick up an unofficial transcript. Proper photo identification (valid driver’s license, military ID, passport or other state- or federally-issued picture identification, or LoboCard.) is required when ordering and picking up transcripts in person.

Transcript Requests

Both current and former students may request official transcripts online at the Office of the Registrar Web site.

Mail requests to:

Office of the Registrar
ATTN: Transcript Request
MSC11 6325
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
Fax: (505) 277-6809

Mailed requests must include the following information:

  • Student signature
  • Date of request
  • Current/previous name(s)
  • Social Security Number/UNM ID
  • Date of birth
  • Dates of attendance
  • Student email address (for order status updates)
  • Current address
  • Daytime telephone number
  • Address to which the transcript is to be sent
  • For official transcripts only: check or money order

Official transcripts are printed on security paper which will indicate “Copy” when faxed or copied. Electronic transcript versions cannot be photocopied or printed and remain official.

Other Exclusions

  • Email requests cannot be honored except when ordered online at the Office of the Registrar Web site.
  • Another person may not request or pick-up a student's transcripts without specific written authorization from that student.
  • All persons picking up transcripts must show proper photo ID.
  • The University of New Mexico does not provide copies of test scores or transcripts of academic work from other institutions. The original institution must be contacted for such information.


Grade Notification

Semester grades are available via LoboWeb. Grades are posted nightly as they are entered by the instructor. Final semester GPA calculations, Dean's List determinations and probation/suspension decisions are processed after the last official day of the semester.


The University of New Mexico utilizes a fractionated grading system. Following are the allowable grades and associated grade points:

A+ 4.33
A 4.00
A- 3.67
B+ 3.33
B 3.00
B- 2.67
C+ 2.33
C 2.00
C- 1.67
D+ 1.33
D 1.00
D- 0.67
F 0.00
CR Credit. Results in credit for the course, but is not computed into the grade point average. CR is the equivalent of at least a grade of C. At the graduate level, CR is used to report completion of a master's thesis or doctoral dissertation. See the following pages for specific information concerning pass/fail (CR/NC) option grading.
NC No Credit. Not computed into the grade point average. At the graduate level NC is also used to report unsatisfactory completion of a master's thesis or doctoral dissertation. Certain workshops and courses may be offered under CR and NC as defined above.
NR Not Recorded. If a grade has not been received by the end of the grading period, an NR is assigned. A grade of NR is not computed into the grade point average. After two years, the remaining NR grades are converted to W grades.
PR Progress. Used to indicate that a thesis or dissertation is in progress, but not complete. In the semester when the thesis or dissertation is completed, CR or NC is reported.
I Incomplete. Given only when circumstances beyond the student's control have prevented completion of the work of a course within the official dates of a session. (See the policy on Removal of Incomplete.)
IF Incomplete Fail. Incomplete grades not resolved within the time frame stated in this policy (see Incomplete (I) Grade below) are automatically converted to an IF failing grade.
AUDIT Recorded for completion of enrollment in an audited course. No credit is earned for an audit grade option.
W Withdrawal. Used for withdrawals after the grade required deadline beginning in Fall 2012, and for approved administrative withdrawals at the end of a semester. Examples of administrative withdrawals include: determination by the instructor that the student never attended the class, processing errors, catastrophic illness of the student or other reasons beyond the student's control.
RS Reinstatement. Not computed in the grade point average; no credit is earned. An RS grade is used for approved retroactive enrollment in a 599 or a 699 course when the student did not complete any work on the thesis or dissertation.
  NOTE: Graduate students may not be assigned C-, D+, D or D- grades.

Grade Point Average

An undergraduate student’s grade point average is calculated by dividing the total number of quality grade points earned at the University of New Mexico by the total number of credit hours attempted, and truncated by two decimals. These credit hours must be attempted in courses with letter grades and the courses must be numbered 100 or above. Courses for undergraduate students given a grade of W, CR, NC, PR, AUD, or I are excluded in the grade point average calculation. For graduate students, the Graduate Studies office, internally for their record keeping processes, calculates a grade of “I” as a 2.0 until replaced by another letter grade.

Beginning Fall 2006 the academic transcript reflects a level GPA. The courses a student takes become a part of the level to which the student has been admitted. If a student is in an associate degree program, the level is associate degree, and all the courses taken in that level are reflected in the associate GPA. Courses that are not remedial or technical are also calculated into the undergraduate GPA. If the student is in a bachelor’s degree program, the courses taken in that status are calculated in the undergraduate GPA. The various levels are Associate, Undergraduate, Graduate, Non-Degree Undergraduate and Non-Degree Graduate. Each level has a GPA.

NOTE: This is a general University of New Mexico grade point calculation. Schools and colleges within the University may compute the grade point average differently.

Grades earned in courses taken at other institutions are not included in calculation of the University of New Mexico grade point average. The UNM transcript is the official record of the student's grade point average at UNM, and reflects only courses taken at the University of New Mexico.

Dean's List

The academic standing of all students is reviewed at the end of each Fall and Spring semester and Summer session in accordance with the regulations of their College. If available, Dean's List indication on an undergraduate student's academic record is noted when GPA calculations are determined one week after the official last day of the semester. Enrollment in late-starting, correspondence or other off-pattern courses may prevent awarding of Dean’s List if grades are not submitted prior to end-of-term processing. Students with incomplete (I) or not recorded (NR) grades at the time of this calculation are not included on the Deans' List. See individual College or School sections of this Catalog for further requirements.

Incomplete (I) Grade

According to academic policy, incomplete grades must be completed before a student is eligible to graduate from the University of New Mexico.

The grade of "I" is given only when circumstances beyond the student’s control have prevented completion of the coursework within the official dates of a semester/session.

Students should not re-enroll or re-register (for credit) in a course in which an I (Incomplete) grade has been assigned in order to resolve it. If an instructor requires the student to repeat the class in order to resolve the Incomplete, the student must register for the course on an audit basis. The fee for an audited course is the same as for credit courses.

Grade changes to Incomplete grades must be received no later than one year (twelve months) from the published end day of the term in which the grade was assigned. Incomplete grades not resolved within the time frame stated in this policy are automatically converted to an IF (Incomplete Fail) grade.

Students who resolve Incompletes in the term of graduation must have the process completed (including the reporting of the grade to the Records and Registration Office, before the start of the new semester). Students are responsible for informing instructors that they are graduating and the grade(s) must be reported by the appropriate deadline. Failure to complete the process as described could result in the postponement of graduation until the following term.

The instructor of record reports the final grade for the course in which the Incomplete was assigned to the Records and Registration Office. Graduate students should consult the section on the Graduate Program section of this Catalog related to this policy.

Extension of Incomplete

A student may apply for an extension of the time allowed to complete the coursework required to remove the I grade. The Extension of Incomplete form may be obtained in the Records and Registration Office or from the Office of the Registrar Web site. A student who re-enrolls in residence may be granted a one-semester extension. If an extension is granted, it is the student’s responsibility to ensure the I grade is removed by the date indicated. Graduate students are required to obtain the additional signature of the Dean of Graduate Studies. The Extension of Incomplete form must be submitted no later than the last day of the term.

Repetition of a Course

A student may repeat any course, but only receives credit once, unless otherwise noted in this Catalog. ALL ATTEMPTS and ALL GRADES are computed in the student’s grade point average. A grade replacement policy is available for repeated coursework as described below.

Grade Replacement Policy

The course repeat policy was revised by the Faculty Senate to include a grade replacement option effective Spring semester 1991. Under this policy, only undergraduate students may repeat a course for a higher grade and have the lower grade removed from the grade point average. This revision is an option for students who meet the criteria outlined below. Repeated courses for students who do not meet the criteria, or who choose not to make use of the option, automatically fall under the existing policy as described under “Repetition of a Course.”

The following outlines the procedure for the implementation of this course repeat (grade replacement) option. NO EXCEPTIONS ARE MADE TO THIS POLICY.

1.  The Grade Replacement policy is effective as of Spring semester 1991 and affects only the University of New Mexico coursework from Spring 1991 forward. This means that the first attempt in a course cannot have been prior to Spring semester 1991. The policy is not retroactive to any semester prior to Spring 1991.
Note: A student who fails a course at the University of New Mexico and repeats the same course with a grade of "C" or higher at another college or university may have the credit accepted for transfer, but the grade received at the University of New Mexico will continue to be computed in the grade point average.
2.  Students in undergraduate status are eligible to use this policy, and only coursework that applies to an undergraduate degree is considered for a grade replacement.
3.  A repeated course must result in an improved grade in order to replace the other grade (e.g., a "D" cannot replace a "D"). The higher grade removes the lower grade from the grade point average and earned credit hours. Grades of CR, NC, PR, and W are not replaceable grades since they do not affect the grade point average.
4.  The process is not automatic. Students must initiate the process by completing a form in the Records and Registration Office, indicating which course is to be replaced. The course numbers and titles must be identical, except where equivalencies or a change has been noted in the University of New Mexico Catalog. Substitute courses are not
Forms are accepted after the second attempt in the course has been completed.
5.  A grade replacement may be applied only to 12 credit hours of repeated coursework. Only one grade replacement is allowed for each course, regardless of the number of times the course has been repeated.
6.  Once a grade replacement has been approved, the process cannot be reversed or changed.
7.  No grade may be replaced after a degree has been awarded.
8.  All grades remain on the record. An “E” appears on the transcript next to the course that has been replaced.
9.  Students registering for a late-starting course cannot use the Grade Replacement Policy to replace a grade within that same semester.

NOTE: This policy applies only to courses taken and repeated at the University of New Mexico.

Graduate students who wish to replace grades must follow the Graduate Grade Replacement Policy in the Graduate Program section of this Catalog.

Change of Grade

The instructor of a course is responsible for any grade reported. Once a grade has been reported to the Records and Registration Office, the instructor may change it by using the Instructor Initiated Grade Change and Incomplete Removal process through LoboWeb. Only the instructor who issued the original grade (instructor of record) may submit a change. Grade changes submitted more than 30 days after end of semester are reported to the offering College Dean. Any change in grade must be reported within 12 months after the original grade was issued and prior to graduation. Grade changes may be referred to the Admissions and Registration Committee of the Faculty Senate for approval.

Grade Petition Procedure

1.  A student seeking retroactive withdrawal, enrollment, or a grade option change; or further academic record changes involving exceptions to the rules governing registration and academic records, may submit petitions to the Records and Registration Office in the Mesa Vista North One-Stop or the Student Support and Services Center. This petition process does not cover disputes involving academic judgment (Refer to the UNM Pathfinder, “Student Grievance Procedure,” Article 2, Academic Disputes).
2.  The petition must state the nature of the request, specify the semester involved, the course and section number, the student’s name, identification number, mailing address and telephone number. It must include documentation of extenuating circumstances, such as medical, family or employment needs. The petition must be typed and signed.
3.  A student may only petition grades up to one year after an instructor and dean grade change form can be utilized to change a grade. (Effective as of April 2005 as approved by Faculty Senate Operations Committee.) This means no grade change can be petitioned after two years in which the course(s) was/were taken.
4.  Upon receipt of student’s petition, the instructor(s) involved is contacted for a statement concerning the request.
5.  The petition (along with instructor comments) is forwarded to the Grade Petition Subcommittee of the Faculty Senate Admission and Records Committee for review and decision. If the petition is approved, appropriate modifications are made to the student record.
6.  The student is notified in writing of the outcome of the petition. The decision of the subcommittee is final.
7.  The student is responsible for tuition and fees incurred.

Academic Renewal Policy

Academic Renewal applies to students seeking undergraduate degrees who have been readmitted to the University of New Mexico after an absence of five years or more. The procedure allows a currently enrolled student to request an academic record review for the purpose of reevaluating previously-earned University of New Mexico credits and recalculating the student’s grade point average from the point of readmission.

The student may obtain a petition from Records and Registration, Mesa Vista North One-Stop, or Student Support and Services Center. If all criteria are satisfied, the petition will be approved and the academic record appropriately noted.


Academic Renewal Guidelines

NOTE: Non-degree, second undergraduate degree, graduate students, or students who hold an Associate’s degree from The University of New Mexico are not eligible for Academic Renewal.

1.  Academic Renewal may be applied only once and is not reversible.
2.  An absence of five or more years must have elapsed between readmission and the last date of enrollment at the University of New Mexico.
3.  The student must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree program. Additionally, college entrance requirements such as minimum hours and grade point average must still be met after Academic Renewal has been applied.
4.  After readmission to the University of New Mexico, at least 12 earned credit hours, but no more than 36 earned credit hours, must be completed in good standing (2.00 GPA or higher) before Academic Renewal can be applied.
Note: If the degree-granting unit has placed the student on probationary status, it is not automatically changed by Academic Renewal.
5.  All graduation requirements must be satisfied after Academic Renewal, i.e., minimum earned credit, residence credit requirement, cumulative grade point average, etc.
Note: Credit earned prior to Academic Renewal does count toward the residence credit requirements.
6.  All courses taken prior to Academic Renewal remain unaltered on the record. An appropriate notation is added to the record to indicate Academic Renewal. Courses with a grade of "C" or "CR" or higher taken prior to Academic Renewal are carried forward as earned credits. Application of these credits towards a degree is determined by the degree-granting unit.
7.  Courses with a grade of "C-" or below taken prior to Academic Renewal are noted and do not count as earned credits or as satisfying any graduation requirements.
8.  Academic Renewal, when applied, is effective as of the date of the readmission following the five-year absence.
9.  The cumulative grade point average after academic renewal is calculated on the basis of courses taken since the readmission following the five-year absence.

Scholastic Regulations


Policies regarding student attendance at class meetings are set by each instructor.

Students should not assume that nonattendance results in being dropped from class. It is the student’s responsibility to initiate drops or complete withdrawals within published deadlines utilizing LoboWeb or via forms available on the Office of the Registrar Web site.

A student with excessive absences may be dropped from a course with a grade on recommendation of the instructor. Instructor initiated drops are submitted utilizing LoboWeb.

Information on reporting short-term absences to instructors can be found under Dean of Students Office, Notification of Absences in this page of the Catalog.

Classroom Conduct

The instructor is responsible for classroom conduct, behavior and discipline. Any action that would disrupt or obstruct an academic activity is prohibited. The instructor may refer situations involving classroom misconduct to the Dean of Students Office for additional action under the “Student Code of Conduct” as published in the UNM Pathfinder.

Use of classrooms or other facilities during scheduled activities is limited to enrolled students and University personnel. Use of these facilities during nonscheduled periods should be arranged with the appropriate department or other division of the University. Smoking, eating and drinking are prohibited in all classrooms and teaching laboratories, including seminars.

Dishonesty in Academic Matters

Each student is expected to maintain the highest standards of honesty and integrity in academic and professional matters. The University reserves the right to take disciplinary action, including dismissal, against any student who is found responsible for academic dishonesty. Any student who has been judged to have engaged in academic dishonesty in coursework may receive a reduced or failing grade for the work in question and/or for the course.

Academic dishonesty includes, but is not limited to, dishonesty on quizzes, tests or assignments; claiming credit for work not done or done by others; hindering the academic work of other students; and misrepresenting academic or professional qualifications within or outside the University.


Nondisclosure or misrepresentation on applications or other University records make a student liable for disciplinary action, including possible dismissal from the University.


Students are subject to dismissal from a college or a degree program based on minimum requirements set by that college or program. Refer to each college section of this Catalog for specific requirements. Dismissal from a college or degree program is not the same as suspension, but may preclude the student from enrolling at the University.


Probationary status serves as a warning to students that they are no longer in good academic standing, and that they may be suspended. Undergraduate students are placed on probation at the end of any semester and, for specific schools and colleges, at the end of any Summer session for which their cumulative grade point average falls below the minimum requirements. Students should expect special requirements to be placed while on probation. Students should refer to the academic standing regulations set forth in the section of this Catalog devoted to the specific college or school. 

Degree-Granting Colleges and Non-Degree Status: Students in degree-granting colleges or in non-degree status may be placed on academic probation at the end of any semester, if they fail to meet the minimum cumulative grade point average required to remain in good standing in their college. The minimum grade point average is at least a 2.00, but is higher in some colleges. Students must familiarize themselves with the academic regulations of their college. Graduate students should see the Graduate Program section of this Catalog for more information related to this policy.


Students on suspension may not enroll for classes at the University of New Mexico until their suspension period has been completed.

Suspension Period: Students suspended for the first time may not enroll for classes at the University of New Mexico for a period of one semester from the date of the suspension. Students suspended for the second time may not enroll for classes for a period of two semesters from the date of the suspension. Students suspended for the third time may not enroll for classes for a period of five academic years from the date of the suspension.


  1. Summer sessions are counted with the following Fall semester for purposes of this policy, e.g., a student suspended at the end of a Spring semester may not attend either the following Summer session or Fall semester.
  2. Students absent from the University for a year or more must reapply for admission to the University.
  3. Students who are accepted for readmission after suspension are readmitted on probation in the accepting college.
  4. College deans may specify the number of credit hours for which a student may enroll following a suspension. They may also require students to drop courses which seem beyond their abilities.
  5. Attendance at another institution during suspension must be indicated on the student’s application for readmission, and an official transcript must be sent to the Office of Admissions as part of the reapplication.


Regular Examinations

Examinations other than final examinations are given during each course at the discretion of the instructor. Final examinations are given at the end of each course as scheduled during the final examinations period. Visit the Schedule Web site for more information.

Examination to Establish or Validate Credit (Challenge a Course)

Degree-seeking students in undergraduate status may, with appropriate written approval, take an examination to establish or validate credit in courses that appear in the University’s general Catalog. Students may not have been previously enrolled (or have earned a W grade) in the course at the University of New Mexico. Graduate students have the same privilege, but only undergraduate credit can be earned in this manner. The Course Challenge form is located on the Office of the Registrar Web site.

Credit for nonprofessional physical education activity courses and some professional physical education courses cannot be earned by examination. Contact the department to determine which professional physical education courses can be challenged by examination.

A permit for the examination is issued upon authorization of the dean or director of the college offering the course. This permit must be approved by the department concerned, and by the dean or director of the student’s college. The student is liable for the current tuition rate per credit hour, and must submit the permit to the person who administers the examination. Once the examination has been administered and graded the instructor completes the form and sends it to the Records and Registration Office to be recorded on the student’s record.

Examination to establish credit can be taken only during the week before classes start through the ending date of the semester or Summer session. Credit is allowed and placed on the student’s permanent record as of the semester in which the examination is completed. A grade of CR is recorded for successful completion of examination and a notation of credit by examination is made on the transcript. Credits earned by examination at the University of New Mexico apply toward graduation and residence requirements.

Alternative Credit Options

For information concerning the Advanced Placement Program (AP) and the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) of the College Entrance Examination Board, see the Admissions section of this Catalog.

Senior Citizens

An individual may qualify for a reduced tuition rate of $5.00 per credit hour, if he/she is:

  • Age 65 or older as of the 21st day from the start of the semester.
  • Classified as a New Mexico resident as defined by the NM Higher Education Department.
  • Registering for no more than ten (10) credit hours.
  • Registering on or after the first day of the semester. Note that registration attempts prior to the first day of the semester result in full tuition charges, even if the class is dropped and added after that date.

Student Health and Counseling (SHAC)

UNM Student Health and Counseling (SHAC) provides comprehensive medical and mental health services to all currently-enrolled UNM students. Located on Main Campus north of Johnson Center and east of the Student Union Building, SHAC's services include primary and urgent medical care, counseling and psychiatry, sexual and reproductive health, sports medicine, in-house laboratory and x-ray services, international travel health, allergy management, immunizations, nutrition, an in-house pharmacy, physical therapy, massage therapy, and health education and prevention. SHAC is accredited with the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Healthcare, Inc. (AAAHC). All medical and mental health clinicians are licensed and board-certified (where applicable) in their respective disciplines.

SHAC encourages all students to be current with recommended immunizations in order to promote a healthy campus community. Immunization recommendations and information on how to access care may be reviewed on the SHAC Web site.

Services are supported in part by student activity fees. Students are not required to have health insurance to be seen at SHAC, however, insurance is highly recommended to help defray healthcare costs and to ensure access to care when needed. See the SHAC Web site to review which health insurance plans are accepted.

For more information about services and current hours of operation, visit the SHAC Web site or call (505) 277-3136.

Fees (subject to change without notice)

Tuition and Fees

Visit the Bursar's Office Web site for information regarding Tuition and Fees, Refund Deadlines, Billing, Payment on Account, Payment Plans, Financial Aid Refunds, etc.

Special Course Fees

See fee information for each term at the Schedule Web site. Special Course Fees and GPSA Fee are refunded using the same refund schedule as tuition and fees.

Charges for Special Services

1.   Admission (non-refundable): 
  a. Application Fee (undergraduate) $20.00
  b. Application Fee (graduate) $50.00
  c. Application Fee (non-degree) $10.00
  d. Application Fee (Law) $40.00
2.    Administration Charges (non-refundable): 
  a. Payment Plan Fee, $15 per payment (maximum of $75 per semester)  
  b. Returned Item Fee (check and ACH) $30.00
  c. Embargo Restriction Fee $40.00
  d. Registration Transaction Fee (second week of classes) $10.00
  e. Late Transaction Fee (after published deadlines) $75.00
  f. Late Registration/Re-registration Fee (starting first day of semester, non-refundable) $30.00
  g. New Student Orientation Fee $175.00
3.   Testing Fees: 
  a. Residual ACT Testing $25.00
  b. Miller Analogies $35.00
  c. Graduate School Foreign Language Test $10.00
4.   Deposits: 
  a. Chemistry Laboratory Breakage Deposit Card $40.00 per course
5.   Equipment or University Property Damage: 
  a. Tuition provides for a nominal amount of breakage in laboratory or other courses. Excessive breakage is charged separately to the student responsible for it. 
6.   Student Association Fees: 
  a. Associated Student Fee 
    Assessment of this fee is a voluntary action of the student body through its organization, the Associated Students of the University of New Mexico (ASUNM). The University collects the fee as an accommodation to ASUNM. Fee amount is determined by vote of the ASUNM members and is subject to change. It is included in the tuition paid by all undergraduate students. More information about the allocation of funds received from the fee may be obtained in the UNM Pathfinder, as well as from ASUNM. Copies of the ASUNM budget may be examined in the Office of the Dean of Students. 
  b. Graduate and Professional Student Association Fee 
    Graduate students are assessed a fee determined by vote of the members of the Graduate and Professional Student Association (GPSA) and set forth in their constitution. The University collects the fee. More information about the allocation of GPSA funds may be obtained in the UNM Pathfinder, as well as from the GPSA office. 

Enrollment Requirements for Financial Aid

To receive financial aid, students must generally enroll at least half-time as regular students in eligible programs. Scholarships generally require full-time enrollment. Audited classes are not included toward financial aid enrollment requirements. Award amounts are generally prorated according to enrollment status. Grant payments are locked at the end of the third week of the Fall and Spring semester. If a student increases his/her enrollment after the third week, the grant funding does not increase.

Federal regulation also prevents students from receiving financial aid funding for coursework that the student has received credit in more than once.

Students are responsible for meeting minimum enrollment requirements. Students who knowingly receive aid to which they are not entitled may be in violation of University policy and state or federal laws.

Questions should be directed to the Student Financial Aid Office.

Enrollment Requirements

1.   Fall/Spring Semesters
  a. Full-time: 12 or more credit hours
  b. Three-quarter time: 9-11 credit hours
  c. Half-time: 6-8 credit hours
  d. Less than half-time: 5 or fewer credit hours
2.   Summer Session
  a. Full-time: 6 or more credit hours
  b. College of Nursing full-time: 12 or more credit hours
  c. Three-quarter time: 5 credit hours
  d. College of Nursing three-quarter time: 9-11 credit hours
  e. Half-time: 3 or 4 credit hours
  f. College of Nursing half-time: 6-8 credit hours
  g. Less than half-time: 1 or 2 credit hours
  h. College of Nursing less than half-time: 5 or fewer credit hours
    Graduate Students
1.   Fall/Spring Semesters
  a. Full-time: 9 or more credit hours
  b. Three-quarter time: 7 or 8 credit hours
  c. Half-time: 5 or 6 credit hours
  d. Less than half-time: 4 or fewer credit hours
2.   Summer Session
  a. Full-time: 6 or more credit hours
  b. College of Nursing full-time: 9 or more credit hours
  c. Three-quarter time: 5 credit hours
  d. College of Nursing three-quarter time: 7 or 8 credit hours
  e. Half-time: 3 or 4 credit hours
  f. College of Nursing half-time: 5 or 6 credit hours
  g. Less than half-time: 1 or 2 credit hours
  h. College of Nursing less than half-time: 4 or fewer credit hours

Crediting Financial Assistance to a Student’s Account

Approved and awarded financial aid credits into students’ accounts if students register for the required number of hours and meet all the respective financial aid program requirements.

These programs include:

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
  • State Student Incentive Grant (SSIG)
  • Federal Perkins Loan
  • UNM 3% Grants
  • Medical Grants and Scholarships
  • Other Grants and Scholarships
  • TEACH Grant
  • Federal Direct Loans
  • Other Loans

For external scholarship or loan checks, students must visit the Cashier Department to endorse the checks.

After financial aid awards credit into students’ accounts and current and past due charges are paid, the remaining balances are either deposited directly into students’ bank accounts or checks are mailed to students. Students cannot pick up refund checks from the Cashier Department.

UNM Freshman Residency Requirement 

The University of New Mexico is committed to providing all students with an exceptional educational experience. For this reason, UNM requires all first-time first-year undergraduate students (not approved for a qualified exception) to live on UNM main campus for their first academic year. Statistics both nationally and at the University-level have consistently shown that students who live on campus have greater academic success and complete their degrees at a quicker rate than students who live off-campus.

The Freshmen Residency requirement applies to all first-time, first-year undergraduate students enrolled as full-time students who are younger than 20 years of age by the first day of classes and, at the time of admission, reside further than 30 miles from UNM’s main campus.

All housing located on UNM main campus, both UNM Housing communities (Alvarado, Coronado, Hokona, Laguna, DeVargas, Redondo Village Apartments, Santa Clara, Student Residence Apartments) and ACC’s Casas del Rio community, fulfill this requirement. More Information on the policy, and on options to request an exception, can be found at the Residence Life and Student Housing Web site.

Residence Life and Student Housing

The University of New Mexico seeks to foster inclusive, community-based living environments consciously designed for residents' personal growth and academic success in well-maintained facilities. UNM offers various on-campus housing options including traditional, suite and apartment-style residence hall communities, and one satellite residence hall, Lobo Rainforest. Additional suite and apartment-style campus housing options are available through UNM's private partner American Campus Communities. For more information about UNM living options, visit the Residence Life and Student Housing Web site.

Living Options: Living options range from double, single, deluxe single, and apartment-style rooms. License agreements for main campus housing include the entire academic year (Fall and Spring semesters). License agreements for satellite communities include the academic year, plus an additional Summer term.

Living Learning Community Program: Live, study, and interact on a regular basis with other residents who share similar academic, career, and personal interests, located within the eight residence hall communities. Living Learning Communities (LLCs) connect residents through twelve programs such as STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics); Black living community; Pre-Health Professionals; Global Focus, and Gender Neutral and Allies. Residents may also select a pet-friendly community (additional fees apply). Students can sign up for a Living Learning Community during the online housing registration process through the online Residence Dashboard. More information about the available Living Learning Communities is found on the Residence Life and Student Housing Web site.

Eligibility: To qualify for University housing during the academic year, residents must be enrolled in a minimum of six credit hours per semester. Students enrolled in the CELAC or Gateway Programs are welcome to reside on campus once the respective office verifies with UNM Residence Life and Student Housing that the student is enrolled in the program.

Amenities: University on-campus residents receive many amenities at no additional cost, including utilities, WiFi high-speed Internet, Xfinity online, mail services, and laundry facilities. Residents also have access to 24-hour services, including a 24-hour customer service desk, and 24-hour student safety services. All residents have access to a Resident Advisor (RA) dedicated to their academic and personal success. RAs design programs and activities to connect residents to friends and neighbors with similar interests, in addition to providing support to individuals. RAs are supervised by a full-time, live-on Area Coordinator, Hall Coordinator, or Assistant Hall Coordinator who directs programming efforts, provides student mentoring, and responds to disciplinary issues.

Rates and Payments: Visit the Residence Life and Student Housing Web site for current housing rates. Room charges are posted to students’ Bursar's accounts at the beginning of each semester. A payment plan can be arranged with the Bursar's office with scheduled multiple payments options. Extra fees and charges apply for voluntary termination of a contract before or during the start of the agreement period. License agreement terms and conditions are found on the Residence Life and Student Housing Web site. Residents may call the 24-hour customer service desk at (505) 277-2606 for more information prior to canceling or terminating a contract.

Meal Plans: First-year undergraduate residents are required to select a meal plan. Sophomores and above are not required to purchase a meal plan. Several meal plan options are available through the UNM Food Office

Accessibility and Special Accommodations: Accessible housing options are available within the University residence halls. To process requests for special accommodations, residents must register through the UNM Accessibility Resource Center. When completing the Housing agreement, select the Special Needs option within the online housing application and follow the application’s directions for initiating the accommodation process through the Accessibility Resource Center.

Application: Application details are found on the Residence Life and Student Housing Web site. Registration is conducted through the Residence Dashboard. Email Residence Life and Student Housing at, or call the 24-hour customer service desk at (505) 277-2606 for more information.

Student Financial Aid

The following information explains the application process and answers questions about financial aid at the University of New Mexico. To maximize the opportunity for funding, the application for aid must be received by January 6. Students must also respond to any request for additional information in a timely fashion (and by February 1 to maximize the opportunity for funding). Pell Grants and Federal Direct Loans remain available to eligible students who submit applications after the January 5 priority date.

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is used to apply for all types of federal and state need-based aid. Students can apply for financial aid on the Web or by completing the paper application. Students are encouraged to apply at the Federal Student Aid Web site. The University of New Mexico’s Federal School Code is 002663. All prospective students must be admitted to the University of New Mexico to receive an offer of financial aid.

The costs of attending the University of New Mexico include:

  • tuition and fees
  • room and board
  • books and supplies
  • transportation
  • personal expenses
  • child care costs, if applicable

To be considered for financial aid, students must apply every year.

For additional information regarding costs and financial aid at the University of New Mexico, access the Student Financial Aid Office Web site.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Students must meet a minimum standard of academic performance in their coursework and progression toward a degree. All students’ academic progress is monitored at least annually to determine continued eligibility for assistance. Students in Certificate programs are monitored each semester. There are three major components to the University of New Mexico’s Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy:

Grade point average: Students are required to maintain a grade point average consistent with graduation requirements for their major as follows:

  • While completing the first 30 credit hours as an undergraduate, a student must attain a minimum 1.7 GPA.
  • Students with more than 30 credit hours must sustain a minimum 2.0 GPA.
  • Graduate students must sustain a minimum 3.0 GPA.
  • Law, Medical and Doctor of Pharmacy students must sustain a minimum 2.0 GPA.

Completion rate: Students must successfully complete at least 67% of the total credit hours they attempt. Classes in which grades of A, B, C, D or CR are earned are considered completed. Repeated courses were already counted as completed, and are not counted twice. All attempted credit hours from any college (including non-degree hours) are counted whether or not financial aid was received. This calculation includes all hours in which a student is registered at the time of withdrawal. All earned transfer hours are considered to be earned and attempted for this calculation as well (whether aid was received or not). Remedial classes and English as a Second Language (ESL) classes are also counted as attempted credit hours. Courses taken for AUDIT are not counted in the student’s total course load for purposes of financial aid eligibility. For graduate students, 100- and 200-level classes count as hours attempted, but not hours earned, because they do not count toward the completion of a graduate degree.

Maximum time frame: Undergraduate students must complete their programs of study within 150% of the published length of the program, measured in credit hours attempted. Example: if the published length of the academic program is 128 credit hours, the maximum time frame for completion is 192 attempted credit hours. All attempted credit hours from any college, including non-degree hours, and hours attempted in completing a prior certificate or degree, count toward the maximum allowable credits regardless of whether financial aid was received. Courses with assigned grades of F, W, I, NC and repeated courses all count as attempted credit hours. In addition, remedial classes and ESL classes are counted in this calculation, even though these classes do not count toward the student’s graduation requirements. To receive financial aid, graduate students must complete their degree within the maximum time frame allowed by their graduate program.

Students who fail to meet satisfactory progress, are no longer eligible to receive financial aid at the University of New Mexico. Students with extenuating circumstances beyond their control, such as a serious personal illness, divorce, or the death of a close family member are allowed to petition.

Typical Sources of Financial Aid

Program Per Academic Year Maximum Award Amount
Federal Pell Grant Maximum $6,495 (subject to change per legislative action)
TEACH   $3,724
Federal Supplemental Ed. Opportunity Grant Maximum $3,000
State Student Incentive Grant Maximum $2,500
State College Affordability Grant Maximum $1,000
UNM Grant Maximum $2,500
UNM Bridge to Success Scholarship   $1,800
NM Lottery Success Scholarship Tuition amount Up to tuition amount (does not include fees) subject to change, based on NM legislature
Federal/State College Work/Study Undergraduate $7,000
  Graduate $7,000
Federal Direct Loan (Subsidized) Freshman $3,500
  Sophomore $4,500
  Junior/Senior $5,500
Federal Direct Loan (Unsubsidized) Freshman $7,500*
  Sophomore $8,500*
  Junior/Senior $10,500*
  Graduate/Professional $20,500
    * Minus any subsidized amount borrowed
PLUS Loans Dependent Students Cost of education minus financial aid awarded
Grad PLUS Loans Graduate/Professional Cost of education minus financial aid awarded
Loan for Service Nursing, Medicine, Pharmacy and Allied Health Students only $12,000

Student Employment

Students in a degree-granting program seeking part-time employment while attending The University of New Mexico may apply for student employment jobs. Information regarding student employment and links to available student employment and work-study positions are posted on the Student Employment Office Web site.


More than 600 individual scholarships exist at the University of New Mexico for qualified students. General scholarships are awarded through the Scholarship Office on a competitive basis and in line with donor requirements. There is no application required for general scholarships. All returning students who have earned at least 12 credit hours at UNM by the end of the Fall semester are considered for awards for the upcoming academic year.

Incoming freshmen must complete the freshmen scholarship application by December 1 for Regents' and Presidential Scholarships. A scholarship application is not required for the Woodward Scholars, UNM Scholars, or UNM Achievers programs. Incoming freshmen need to be admitted by December 1 to be considered for Woodward Scholars, UNM Scholars, and UNM Achievers. These dates are subject to change.

In order to continue to receive a multi-term award, students must be classified as undergraduate degree-seeking students, and meet the minimum requirements to maintain their scholarship as outlined on the Scholarship Office Web site. Students may not apply any unused semester of eligibility toward graduate or professional school, or for other purposes. Additionally, students forfeit their scholarships, if they choose to attend another college or institution at any time.

Students applying for departmental or academic scholarships should contact those respective offices.

Regents’ Scholars: This academic scholarship is awarded up to eight consecutive semesters, to entering freshmen in each academic year. The Regents’ Scholarship recipients are selected from among the following groups: students with the strongest college preparatory coursework, including advanced, enriched and advanced placement courses; and students with a minimum sixth-semester unweighted high school cumulative grade point average of 3.9 or higher. Regents’ Scholars are admitted to the University of New Mexico University Honors Program and receive specialized advisement and course registration privileges. Regents’ Scholars may represent the University at various community and University functions. Requirements are subject to change.

Woodward Scholars: The prestigious Woodward Scholars program is offered on a competitive basis for up to eight consecutive semesters. To be considered for this award an incoming freshman must be a New Mexico resident with a minimum sixth-semester unweighted high school cumulative grade point average of 4.0 or higher. Requirements are subject to change.

Presidential Scholars: This prestigious scholarship at the University of New Mexico is offered on a competitive basis for up to eight consecutive semesters. To be considered for the Presidential Scholarship an incoming freshman must be a New Mexico high school graduate or New Mexico GED recipient with a minimum sixth-semester unweighted high school cumulative grade point average of 3.75 and proven academic and citizenship skills as demonstrated in the classroom and in positions of leadership. Requirements are subject to change.

New Mexico Scholars Scholarship Program: In 1989 the New Mexico Legislature approved a scholarship program intended to recognize well-qualified New Mexico high school graduates and to help these students meet the cost of attending college in-state. A student may be eligible for the award if he or she meets the following criteria (awards dependent on funding availability):

  • A New Mexico high school graduate attending a New Mexico public institution of higher education the first semester after high school graduation.
  • Combined family income may not exceed $60,000 per year.
  • Graduated in upper 5% of high school class or obtained a composite score of 25 on the ACT or combined (combination of SAT Verbal and SAT Math) scores of 1140 on the SAT, or greater, respectively.
  • Is a citizen of the United States or has a permanent resident visa.

UNM Scholars: UNM Scholars awards are offered on a competitive basis for up to eight consecutive semesters to selected New Mexico high school graduates or New Mexico GED sixth-semester unweighted high school cumulative grade point average between 3.85 – 3.99. Requirements are subject to change.

UNM Achievers: This academic award is offered for up to eight consecutive semesters to New Mexico high school graduates or New Mexico GED recipients with a sixth-semester unweighted high school cumulative grade point average between 3.60 – 3.84.

National Scholars Scholarship: The Scholarship is automatically offered to finalists in the National Merit, National Hispanic, National American Indian, and National Achievement Scholars programs. Students must list UNM as their first school of choice with the National Merit Scholarship Corporation to receive this award.

Legislative Lottery Scholarship: The New Mexico Legislative Lottery Scholarship encourages New Mexico high school graduates and New Mexico General Education Diploma (GED) recipients to enroll full-time and complete a two-year degree within four semesters or a 4-year degree within eight semesters. It provides financial support by paying up to the cost of tuition at any New Mexico public post-secondary institution. This scholarship is not awarded on the basis of financial need. While all students are strongly encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), students are NOT required to complete a FAFSA in order to receive the New Mexico Legislative Lottery Scholarship. New Mexico residents who have established residency and attended a public New Mexico secondary educational institution for at least one year, regardless of immigration status, and meet all below listed criteria are eligible:

  • Graduate from a New Mexico public or accredited private high school or NM PED-registered home-school, or received a New Mexico GED.
  • Enroll full-time (fifteen credit hours at a 4-year institution or twelve credit hours at a 2-year institution) in a public New Mexico college or university in a degree or certificate program within 16 months following high school graduation or receipt of a GED.
  • Complete at least 15 new credit hours (12 new credit hours at a 2-year institution) with a semester GPA of 2.5 or higher in the first term of college, the Qualifying Semester. 

Amigo Scholarships: The Amigo Scholarship entitles outstanding out-of-state students to an award of $200 per year plus waiver of non-resident tuition rates. In order to qualify for the Amigo Scholarship, a student must:

  • Have a cumulative high school grade point average of 3.5 or higher (on a 4.0 scale) and an ACT composite score of 23 or the SAT equivalent (1070 [combination of SAT Verbal and SAT Math]); or
  • Have a cumulative high school grade point average of 3.0 or higher (on a 4.0 scale) and an ACT composite score of 26 or the SAT equivalent (1190 [combination of SAT Verbal and SAT Math]).

A student who fails to meet the requirements necessary to renew the scholarship also forfeits the privilege of resident tuition.

Amigo for International Students: The International Amigo scholarship is awarded annually for up to four years provided renewal requirements are met. A student who fails to meet the requirements necessary to renew the scholarship also forfeits the privilege of resident tuition.

Colorado Reciprocal: Colorado Reciprocal tuition waiver recipients pay New Mexico resident tuition rates. The award is renewable for up to eight consecutive semesters and is available to residents of Colorado. To be considered for a Colorado Reciprocal tuition waiver, students must be admitted to UNM by February 1 for the Fall semester and October 1 for the Spring semester. 

Arizona Reciprocal: Arizona Reciprocal tuition waiver recipients pay New Mexico resident tuition rates. The award is renewable for up to eight consecutive semesters and is available to residents of Arizona. To be considered for an Arizona Reciprocal tuition waiver, students must be admitted to UNM by February 1 for the Fall semester and October 1 for the Spring semester. 

Western Undergraduate Exchange Program (WUE and WUE Plus): To be considered for a WUE or WUE Plus tuition waiver, students must be admitted to UNM by February 1 for the Fall semester and October 1 for the Spring semester. Eligible candidates include residents of AK, AZ, CA, CO, HI, ID, MT, ND, NV, SD, OR, UT, WA, WY and must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. These awards are renewable for up to eight consecutive semesters. 

WUE Plus tuition waiver recipients pay New Mexico resident tuition rates. The requirements to be considered for the award are a 3.0 unweighted cumulative grade point average or an 20 ACT (1030 SAT).  

WUE tuition waiver recipients are required to have a 2.8 unweighted cumulative grade point average or an 18 ACT (960 SAT). WUE recipients pay 1.5 times the resident tuition rate.  

To be considered for the WUE or WUE Plus, students must be admitted to UNM by February 1 for the Fall semester and October 1 for the Spring semester. 

Lobo Undergraduate Exchange Program (LUE and LUE Plus): The LUE and LUE Plus tuition waivers are offered to students who are residents of states not included in the WUE region. The awards are renewable for up to eight consecutive semesters. 

LUE Plus tuition waiver recipients pay New Mexico resident tuition rates. The requirements to be considered for the award are a 3.0 unweighted cumulative grade point average or a 20 ACT (1030 SAT).  

LUE tuition waiver recipients are required to have a 2.8 unweighted cumulative grade point average or an 18 ACT (960 SAT). LUE recipients pay 1.5 times the resident tuition rate.  

For best consideration for the LUE or LUE Plus tuition waiver, students must be admitted to UNM by February 1 for the Fall semester and October 1 for the Spring semester.

Transfer Scholarships: Transfer scholarships are available for qualified transfer students. These scholarships can amount to as much as $2,000 per academic year and are awarded on a competitive basis.

To be considered for the UNM Transfer Scholarship, a transfer student must have earned at least 30 credit hours with a minimum 3.25 combined cumulative grade point average in lower-division (freshmen and sophomore) courses at a two-year post-secondary institution. The scholarship is available for four consecutive semesters.

The UNM Branch Campus and CNM Transfer scholarship programs are offered to qualified New Mexico residents transferring from Central New Mexico Community College or one of the University of New Mexico’s branch campuses (Gallup, Los Alamos, Taos, or Valencia).  The scholarships are renewable for up to 4 consecutive semesters. The requirements for these awards are a combined cumulative transfer grade point average of 3.0 or higher, at least 45 hours of credited transfer hours completed at CNM or a UNM branch campus. 

To be considered for these awards, transfer students must be admitted to UNM by March 1 for the Fall semester and December 1 for the Spring semester.

College Major-Related Scholarships: Several departments award scholarships to students enrolled in the department's programs. Beginning freshmen should directly contact the College of Engineering or the Department of Music or any other department for more information. Juniors and seniors or graduate students may inquire directly to the School of Architecture and Planning, the Robert O. Anderson School of Management, the School of Engineering, the Earth and Planetary Sciences Department, the Law School, the School of Medicine, and the College of Nursing.

NOTE: For more complete information about these and other scholarship programs, please visit the Scholarship Office Web site.

UNM Financial Aid
MSC11 6320
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131

Career Services

The Career Services Office, in support of the mission, academic programs and advancement of the institution, assists students and alumni in developing, evaluating, and/or implementing career, education and employment decisions.

Services Include:

  • Career Advising: Career Development Facilitators are available to assist with the choosing and/or changing majors; assessing abilities, interests and values; clarifying career goals; writing a resume and/or cover letter; preparing for interviews; conducting a job search; and/or preparing to attend graduate school. Walk-ins and appointments available.
  • Cooperative Education: Gain “real world” work experience related to one's major while still in school by completing a cooperative education experience. Visit Career Services to learn how to participate.
  • Career Computer Lab: Visit Career Services' comprehensive, state-of-the-art, computer lab designed to support all facets of career development and job search needs.
  • On-Campus Recruiting: This program provides students and employers the opportunity to meet face-to-face while interviewing for professional entry-level and cooperative education positions with national and international organizations from across the country. In addition, learn more about organizations through information sessions hosted by local and national employers.
  • Career Fairs: Career Services hosts several career fairs throughout the academic year, providing students the opportunity to learn more about career opportunities and find employment and internships. Consult the Career Services Web site for a list of Career Fairs.
  • Job and Internship Listings: Browse thousands of part-time, full-time, internship, cooperative education and/or summer positions available online through Handshake, Career Service's online database.
  • Workshops: Upon request, Career Services provides a class or an organization with a tailored presentation on career topics, including Resume Writing, Cover Letter Writing, Cooperative Education, How to Conduct Your Job Search, and a general Career Services Overview. Consult the Career Services Web site for a list of workshops and presentations.

Career Services
University Enrichment and Advisement Center
Room 220
(505) 277-2531

Veteran and Military Resource Center

Located in at 608 Buena Vista Dr. NE, Building 20A,  the Veteran and Military Resource Center (VMRC) was established in 2009 as a one-stop resource for all of New Mexico’s military-affiliated students (active duty military, veterans, and their dependents). The VMRC can assist in navigating the obstacles and challenges of transitioning from the Military to a Civilian/Academic environment.

The VMRC is part of a broad network of New Mexico's Veteran service organizations as well as academic organizations, both within UNM and other New Mexico colleges and universities. If a military member, veteran and/or dependent has a problem that cannot be addressed within the VMRC, staff can personally direct them to the appropriate resources within their network.

The University of New Mexico is an approved Veterans Administration site for certification of students eligible to receive educational assistance. To apply for and/or initialize benefit payments, eligible students must contact the VMRC each and every term of enrollment. For additional information, please visit the Veteran and Military Resource Center Web site and/or call (505) 277-3181.

Finding Out About The University of New Mexico

The Office of Admissions provides general undergraduate information about the University to prospective students. This information includes admission requirements and procedures, degree and course offerings, expenses, financial aid, scholarships, registration, housing, and special services and programs. Visit the Admissions and Recruitment Services Web site for more information.

Campus Tours

The Office of Admissions also provides opportunities for individual students and their families to visit campus. Visits include a campus tour, housing tour, and information sessions with a University representative. Morning and afternoon sessions are available on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, as well as a morning session on the second Saturday of each calendar month. Reservations should be made at least two weeks in advance. Prospective students can schedule a visit and get more information online at the Admissions and Recruitment Services Web site.

A group tour is available for schools or programs bringing ten or more visitors. Information on the group tour program can be found at the Admissions and Recruitment Services Web site.

Dean of Students Office

The Dean of Students Office serves academic as well as extracurricular needs of University students. The office handles student withdrawals, student discipline, visitor discipline, leadership programs, National Student Exchange, The Center for Financial Capability, Phi Eta Sigma, Alternative Spring Break, and the Office of Parents and Families. The Dean of Students Office encourages student participation in the University community, recognizes students, and supports student organizations and assists students in navigating the University landscape. Sponsored programs are designed to help students cope with any difficulties, academic or extracurricular, they may encounter in the course of their college career. Staff are usually available for consultation on a walk-in basis. Students or visitors addressing disciplinary matters should schedule appointments. The office is located on the second floor of the University Advisement and Enrichment Center, Room 280, (505) 277-3361, email, or visit the Dean of Students Web site.

National Student Exchange

National Student Exchange (NSE) offers University of New Mexico students an opportunity for educational travel and study at approximately 160 participating colleges and universities across the United States and its territories/protectorates. NSE permits students to broaden their academic, social and cultural awareness by temporarily leaving the familiar atmosphere of their hometown and home campus.

Participants must be full-time students at the UNM Main campus with a minimum cumulative grade point average of a 2.50 and must have completed two semesters and at least 24 credit hours prior to exchange; 12 of those credit hours must be completed at the UNM main campus.

NSE students pay full-time tuition to the University of New Mexico before leaving for their host school. Almost all University of New Mexico financial aid and/or scholarships apply towards tuition. Expenses for room and board, transportation to and from the host campus, and incidentals are the responsibility of the exchange student.

Information for the NSE Program can be obtained from the Dean of Students Office in the University Advisement and Enrichment Center, Room 280. Or call (505) 277-3361, or visit the National Student Exchange Program Web site.

The Center for Financial Capability

The Center for Financial Capability (CFC) is a financial outreach and educational program administered by the Dean of Students Office at the University of New Mexico and Nusenda Credit Union as partners in education. The CFC is a resource devoted to assisting the UNM community toward becoming financially successful. Through programming and one-on-one consultations, the CFC encourages positive money management conversations. Topics of proficiency include tax filing preparation, money and credit management, budgeting, investing, and more. The CFC's primary goal is to ensure students depart from UNM with as little debt as possible. Refer to the Center for Financial Capability Web site for more information.

Notification of Absences

Students are expected to attend all class sessions in which they are enrolled. Absences due to illness or exceptional circumstances should be reported by the student to his/her instructor(s) and to the Dean of Students Office. If a student is unable to contact his/her instructor(s), the student should leave a message at the instructor’s department.

While the Dean of Students Office does not excuse students from class, it is customary for the Dean of Students Office to communicate with faculty about student absences. The Dean of Students Office sends the instructor(s) notices in the event of an extended absence, inability to reach instructor(s) or department(s) or emergency situation(s). In general, the Dean of Students Office encourages the student to speak directly with the faculty member to work out absences that are less than six days. However, when requested by a faculty member, the office may assist in verifying absences that are six days or less on a case-by-case basis. The Dean of Students Office sends absence notifications to the respective faculty member should an absence be longer than five days. This service may only be utilized when an absence is for a family/student medical issue, death of a family member, military leave, or a University-sponsored activity. The absence notification process is only meant as a notification and not meant to excuse the absence. Additionally, verification (such as a doctor's note, hospital billing, military orders, death notices, etc.) of a student's report of absence can be provided at the request of the course instructor.

The Dean of Students Office verifies a student’s reported absence to facilitate the instructor’s determination if make-up work will be allowed. However, the reporting of absences does not supersede the instructor’s attendance policy as stated in the course syllabus or as communicated by the instructor to a class.

Student Conduct, Grievance and Appeals

The Dean of Students Office administers the Student and Visitor Codes of Conduct and has jurisdiction over behavioral disciplinary matters, academic dishonesty (when referred by an instructor) and appeals from students, student court or campus boards (where appeals are provided for in their bylaws and/or the University of New Mexico policy). Questions about these procedures should be directed to the Dean of Students Office. The complete procedures and codes of conduct are in the UNM Pathfinder.

LoboRESPECT Advocacy Center

The LoboRESPECT Advocacy Center provides a safe and welcoming environment and serves as a confidential and anonymous reporting location for students to receive support and advocacy services for a number of areas including, but not limited to, sexual assault and misconduct, hazing, and hate/bias-related incidents. The Advocacy Center is committed to helping students understand and navigate UNM’s structure and to resolving issues they may encounter at the University. The Advocacy Center aims to empower students to overcome obstacles and promote growth both inside and outside of the classroom.

The Center also provides absence notifications, domestic partnership privileges, mediation and conflict resolution, military withdrawals, short-term disabilities, short-term emergency loans, student death notices, and tuition appeals. The Advocacy Center can assist parents, faculty, and staff in their efforts to support students at UNM.

In addition to advocacy services, the Center focuses on providing in-person training in the areas of sexual assault and violence awareness, active bystander intervention, and consent. The Center’s programs include the LoboRESPECT Student Group, Peer Educator Training and the coordination of the Lobo Food Pantry.

The goals of the Center are to provide personal advocacy from start to finish with a single point of entry, one telephone number, and one physical location for any student to acquire information, assistance and support. Students will have secure confidentiality as requested. A 24/7 hotline during non-working hours will ensure a method to report and get assistance after normal business hours.

The LoboRESPECT Advocacy Center is located on the second floor of the University Advisement and Enrichment Center, Room 262. Phone (505) 277-2911, email, or visit the LoboRESPECT Advocacy Center Web site for more information.

General University Publications and Services

UNM Pathfinder: The Student Handbook

The UNM Pathfinder is the most comprehensive handbook of student services at the University of New Mexico. The UNM Pathfinder gives general information, including office locations and telephone numbers, about academic support and cultural programs, athletics and recreation, student organizations, entertainment, financial services, food, health and medical assistance, housing, the University of New Mexico policies affecting students, commuting and parking and other services and programs.

Other Useful Publications

The following publications are available at the Student Activities Center, located in the Student Union Building, 1018, lower level and online:

  • Guide to Chartered Student Organizations: The guide, which is published three times a year in the Daily Lobo, lists all student organizations officially chartered at the University of New Mexico.
  • Student Organization Handbook: The handbook provides resources, regulations and guidelines to chartered student organizations and helps with event planning, fund raising, leadership and organizational tools.

Parking and Transportation Services

Parking & Transportation Services (PATS) is a self-funded auxiliary department of The University of New Mexico that functions under Institutional Support Services. With over 44,000 students, staff, and faculty coming to the UNM Albuquerque campus on a regular basis, and over 77,000 people traveling to the University-area on a regular basis, our system is designed to provide reliable and orderly access to the campus. Our responsibility, encompassed in our mission, is to support the University's education, research and service missions by providing access to key programs for faculty, staff, students and visitors through a variety of transportation services that consider the needs of each customer. This responsibility includes managing approximately 14,000 parking spaces, facilitating the movement of 1.7 million passengers annually from nearby parking lots onto campus and around campus, and providing a full range of transportation choices through the provision of alternative transportation programs. All of the revenue we generate is reinvested in providing our services.

A dedicated team of about 80 student and staff employees carry out our day-to-day operations. Our parking operations include the distribution and regulation of daily, permitted, and event parking, as well as the maintenance of parking lots and garages. Please visit the Parking & Transportation Services website for parking maps, rates, policies, and parking pass information.

Student Activities Center

A student's extracurricular experience outside the classroom is just as important as their in-the-classroom educational experience. The Student Activities Center (SAC) provides many valuable opportunities for involvement and organized activities to keep students engaged in campus life. The Student Activities Center offers involvement opportunities in more than 300 student organizations, organizes Welcome Back Days and the Recognition Reception, presents the Mid-Week Movie Series, and advises the two student governments (ASUNM and GPSA), honor societies, fraternities and sororities. The office also is involved in the planning of campus concerts, speakers, Homecoming, community service projects, Red Rally, crafts fairs, Hanging of the Greens, and many other special events. Visit the Student Activities Center Web site for more information and a calendar of student events. The Student Activities Center also publishes the Guide to Student Organizations, the Student Organization Handbook, the Student Organization Calendar, and LeaderHints. The office is located in the Student Union Building room 1018, and may be reached at: (505) 277-4706 or email:

Honorary Student Organizations and Recognition 

There are a variety of honorary organizations, including organizations based on declared major, year in college and other categories. The Student Activities Center also organizes the Recognition Reception each Spring where the Clauve Outstanding Senior awards, departmental awards, and many other honors are presented. Visit the Student Activities Center Web site for a complete listing of awards, honorary organizations, and recognitions at UNM.

Student Organizations

The University of New Mexico has more than 300 chartered student organizations. The Student Activities Center assists student organizations with the chartering process each year. The organization list can be found at the Student Activities Center Web site. Students who wish to charter a new student group may do so by visiting the Student Activities Center, Room 1018 in the Student Union Building or following the guidance on their website. The categories of student organizations include:

  • Academic and Departmental
  • Ethnic and Cultural
  • Fraternities
  • Graduate
  • Honorary
  • Military
  • Political
  • Religious
  • Residence Hall
  • Service
  • Sororities
  • Special Interest
  • Sport and Recreation

Emergency Message Service

The Emergency Message Service is provided to reach students on campus. When an emergency arises, call (505) 277-7872. The Student Activities Center staff access the student's schedule from the database file and determine if it is possible to reach the student in class. A staff member delivers a message directly to the student's classroom. The responsibility for informing family, friends, school and day care centers of this service and its telephone number rests with the student. 

Off-Campus Housing 

The Student Activities Center also offers the Off-Campus Housing website, which lists rentals of apartments, houses, rooms, and roommates wanted. The listings on the website should be considered only as available housing options and are not researched or approved by UNM.

Outdoor Space Reservations

The Student Activities Center approves the use of outdoor space on Main Campus for all areas except Johnson Field, the Residence Hall area, and private building courtyards. Space reservations are requested via the Event Management System Web site, and require a 48-hour notice for processing. 

Graduate and Professional Student Association

The Graduate and Professional Student Association (GPSA) is the representative governing body for all graduate and professional students at UNM. GPSA represents the interests of graduate students through their work with the Graduate Studies office, the University administration, Board of Regents, and the New Mexico Legislature.

The primary goal of GPSA is to enhance educational opportunities and the campus experience for all students at the University. Graduate and professional students from all areas of campus are invited to participate in GPSA. Each department within the individual schools and colleges selects its own council representatives in the manner prescribed by their Recognized Departmental Student Association (RDSA). Council meetings are held once a month and are announced on their website. Meetings are always open to the public and interested students are invited to attend.

The GPSA President is elected in a campus-wide election in the Spring semester, and the Council chair is elected by the Council representatives at their regular April meeting. All graduate and professional students are encouraged to participate in the GPSA through its Council and numerous committees. GPSA appoints students to all University committees concerned in any way with graduate student education and experiences. Students interested in serving on any campus committee should contact the GPSA office for additional details. Committee participation offers individuals the opportunity to improve the University community in cooperation with faculty, administrators, and students from other departments, schools, and colleges on campus.

GPSA is funded by student fees of $25.00 per semester collected by the University. From these funds, graduate student organizations apply for budgets to support projects, research, and travel to professional conferences. Individual student research, project, and travel funding are also available through the GPSA Grants process. For more information on the student organization budget process, individual student grants process, and other funding opportunities, visit the GPSA website.

The GPSA office is in the Student Union Building, Room 1021.

For more information call (505) 277-3803, visit the GPSA website (, or email

Drug-Free Campus

This policy on Illegal Drugs and Alcohol is adopted pursuant to federal laws and reflects the commitment of the University to an environment free of drugs and the illegal use of alcohol. Drug and alcohol abuse on campus poses a serious threat to the health, safety and welfare of faculty, staff and students, impairs work and academic performance, and conflicts with the responsibility of the University to foster a healthy atmosphere for the pursuit of education, research and service. Therefore, the unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensing, possession or use of controlled substances or alcohol on University property, or as part of any of its activities by any member of the University community–faculty, staff or student–is strictly prohibited. Additional information concerning this policy is available through the Campus Office of Substance Abuse Prevention, the Dean of Students Office, Human Resources and the Faculty Grants and Contracts Office. The University’s policy is distributed annually to all students, faculty and staff members and printed in its entirety in each edition of the UNM Pathfinder.

Ethnic Programs

To provide equal educational opportunity for persons from all cultures and to preserve and study the cultural diversity of the state, the University of New Mexico has fostered the creation of numerous culturally-oriented academic programs.

The Africana Studies program, Chicana and Chicano Studies department, and Native American Studies department offer courses and seminars and also conduct original research. In addition, African American Student Services, American Indian Student Services, and El Centro de la Raza, offer support services and cultural programs to enhance retention and student success.

Also, numerous other on-campus programs promote equal opportunity among New Mexico’s minority students. These include: the American Indian Law Center, special engineering programs for African Americans, Hispanics, Native Americans and women, and the Multicultural Education Center.

Ethnic Center Student Support Services

African American Students Services. Founded in the late-1960s, the African American Student Services program at UNM provides culturally-relevant programs designed to assist primarily African American students in making a confident transition and successful adjustment to UNM. Program staff strives to provide an environment that is sensitive to the culture and history of African Americans and to assist African American Students in achieving their educational goals through academic, cultural, social, and educational programs, workshops, student organizations, and mentorship opportunities. 

American Indian Student Services. The core focus of American Indian Student Services (AISS) at UNM is academic support, social and cultural engagement, and student advocacy. Established in 1980, the mission of AISS is to provide opportunities that enhance the ability of American Indian students to be successful. AISS cornerstones include comprehensive outreach and recruitment initiatives, student leadership development, programming designed to positively influence student persistence and graduation, and strong tribal community partnerships.

Asian-American Pacific Islander Resource Center. The mission of the Asian-American Pacific Islander Resource Center (AAPIRC) is to build a sense of belonging for students of Asian/Pacific Islander Heritage during their studies at the University of New Mexico. AAPIRC also seeks to provide culturally relevant programs that cultivate Asian/Pacific Islander leaders within communities 

El Centro de la Raza. Founded in 1969 by students for students, El Centro de la Raza continues to provide a home away from home and various programs and support services for Latino and Latina students. The Mission of El Centro de la Raza is to positively impact the transition, retention, and graduation of students through an engaging environment built on academic, cultural, personal, and professional activities. El Centro de la Raza commits to cultivate a supportive community that helps students develop skills to fulfill their lifelong goals and expectations.

Project for New Mexico Graduates of Color

The Project for New Mexico Graduates of Color (PNMGC) is a student program that is working to build community among historically underrepresented students at the University of New Mexico.  PNMGC was founded during the 2002-03 academic year by a group of UNM graduate students of color who recognized the need for an organization that could provide them with various forms of academic, cultural, and leadership support.  Currently, PNMGC works with both undergraduate and graduate students to help them succeed and grow while at UNM. Our programming includes undergraduate outreach initiatives, leadership workshops and retreats, monthly social gatherings, academic research presentation opportunities, and our annual Faculty of Color Awards.  Participation in the peer-to-peer mentoring program does provide a scholarship if all eligibility requirements are met.  The mentoring can be academic, social, cultural, or a mix of it in an effort to help students find a sense of community at the University of New Mexico.

PNMGC office is located in the SUB Lobo Lair, Room 1046. For more information, please call (505) 277-7397, email or visit the PNMGC website.

College Enrichment and Outreach Programs

The mission of College Enrichment and Outreach Programs is to provide seamless support for students in the development of skills necessary to pursue post-secondary education, and to promote retention of graduate studies. The College Enrichment and Outreach Programs Unit provides opportunities through educational, student support programming, and cultural experiences, to increase the recruitment, retention, and development of students in higher education.

Recreational Services

The University of New Mexico students have access to outstanding recreational opportunities through Recreational Services. The program serves the entire University community by promoting relaxation, proper use of time, achievement, and mental and physical health. Present your University of New Mexico LoboCard to the attendant at the western Main Entrance of Johnson Center to access the facilities. The facilities and programs include:

  • Facilities Three gymnasiums, seven tennis courts, three swimming pools, wrestling-combative area, weight room, racquetball courts and numerous playing fields.
  • Fitness and Wellness Programs A variety of fitness and wellness classes and workshops including: salsa aerobics, water aerobics, step aerobics, yoga, pilates, kickboxing, and personal training.
  • Getaway Adventure Program Activities and clinics such as cross-country skiing, camping and fishing, white-water rafting and exploring ancient cliff dwellings foster skills and opportunities to “get away”.
  • Recreational Sports Team Activities: Men’s, women’s and “co-rec” competition in sports such as basketball, cross-country, flag football, slow pitch, soccer, swimming, volleyball and dodgeball. Individual and Dual Activities: Include sports such as archery, badminton, billiards, karate, racquetball, table tennis, tennis, arm wrestling and golf.
  • Outdoor/Bike Shop Camping and backpacking equipment–tents, skis, backpacks and much more–at very reasonable rental rates. Other recreational equipment such as volleyball sets, golf clubs, softball equipment and horseshoes are also for rent. The bike shop offers bike maintenance and bike rentals.
  • Excel: Adaptive Fitness This program provides recreational opportunities for disabled students, faculty, staff and community members. This program offers classes in adaptive strength training, deep water exercise and stretching.
  • Sports Clubs Join a sport club or start one. Current clubs include: Karate, Rodeo, Ultimate Frisbee, Gymnastics and Rugby.
  • Challenge Course Program The Challenge Course Program provides team-building activities by offering unique challenges through the use of the low ropes course, climbing wall and cooperative games. Its focus is providing unique team building experiences for UNM student groups and UNM departments.

For more program information contact Recreation Services, Johnson Center Room 1102, or visit the Recreational Services Web site.

Global Education Office 

The Global Education Office (GEO) coordinates and promotes international initiatives and engagement on campus, in our community and across national and institutional borders. The GEO’s mission is to help prepare UNM students, faculty, and staff to understand and work effectively in a complex and rapidly changing global community.

As a service unit, the GEO facilitates and provides the following functions:

  • Forges strategic partnerships with academic institutions and government partners across the globe.
  • Acts as a liaison for U.S. government agencies, foreign embassies, sponsors and educational foundations that support international education.
  • Provides training on cross-cultural competence and campus internationalization.
  • Supports UNM faculty who develop and lead courses abroad.
  • Advises and facilitates education abroad for domestic students.
  • Recruits and admits international students.
  • Offers intensive education in English as a Second Language (ESL).
  • Provides immigration advice, onboarding support, and campus information and transition services for international students and visiting scholars.
  • Facilitates short-term non-academic certificate programs to enhance specific academic, research, or professional development skills for international students, scholars, and professionals.
  • Operates a US Department of State Passport Acceptance Center in the UNM Bookstore for the University community, which is also open to the public.
  • Sponsors International Education Week and the International Festival events each year, which highlight the diverse cultures and global outreach activities represented at UNM.

The GEO is organized into five divisions, described separately below:

Recruitment and Admissions

The Recruitment and Admissions division of the GEO is responsible for promoting UNM as a destination for international students, and is a vital part of UNM's recruitment and enrollment management strategy. The presence of international students helps UNM's domestic students develop international awareness and intercultural skills, brings new ways of thinking and academic challenges, and results in significant benefits to the University and to state and local communities. It is an essential element of international initiatives on campus, and helps enhance the reputation of UNM and New Mexico as active participants in the global economy and culture.

The division actively recruits undergraduate and graduate students from many parts of the world for UNM academic departments in close cooperation with the colleges and the faculty. The GEO has established and oversees a representative office in Mexico City, Mexico. GEO staff are also actively involved in recruitment in several other parts of the world, including Latin America, Southeast Asia and the Middle East. Recruitment and Admissions staff process and evaluate international student applications and manage the admissions process for all incoming international students in close cooperation with the UNM Admissions Office, the Graduate Studies office and the other divisions of the GEO.

International Student and Scholar Services

The GEO's International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) division is an essential resource center that provides services, information, and assistance to the more than 1,600 international students, researchers and visiting scholars from over 99 countries currently in residence at UNM each year. ISSS supports UNM's international students and scholars by providing orientations, workshops, practical information and social and cultural integration activities. These support services familiarize international students and scholars with the campus and community, immigration requirements, logistics of living in the U.S., and the services available to them at UNM. ISSS connects students to the UNM campus and the Albuquerque community through the "Lobo Friend" program and the International Service Corps. Finally, ISSS works with community volunteer groups to direct students to opportunities including: free airport pick-up, short-term home-stay, house-hunting help, a household item giveaway, an international friendship partner program, and a “Volunteers in Tax Assistance” (VITA) site for international students and scholars. Regular social and cultural activities and excursions in New Mexico and nearby states are organized to provide cultural enrichment and social opportunities for international students and scholars and their families. 

ISSS is also charged with facilitating individual and University compliance with all relevant federal and state government regulations and UNM internal policies affecting international students and scholars. ISSS staff act as liaisons with the Department of Homeland Security, Department of State and other federal and state agencies on behalf of international students and scholars and the University. In this capacity, ISSS provides information and assistance on rules and regulations, submits required reporting, completes work authorizations, complies with immigration and other procedures, and advocates for workable policies.

Education Abroad

The GEO's Education Abroad division facilitates study abroad and international exchange programs, allowing UNM students to study in other countries for a semester, an academic year, or in short-term programs for less time. Students have the option to study at more than 200 universities in over 50 countries and receive academic credit towards degree completion. Staff members assist students in identifying study abroad opportunities, such as short-term faculty-led programs, internships, experiential learning, and volunteer programs. Students have access to an extensive array of online and in-person resources when seeking opportunities to study and work abroad. Additionally, advisors offer information and support for students and faculty seeking scholarships and grants from the Fulbright program, the Benjamin Gilman fellowship program, the David Boren Scholarship, the Critical Language Scholarship and Fellowship programs, university-sponsored assistance programs, and many other funding opportunities. Through pre-departure orientations and continued monitoring and support of program participants while abroad, staff members strive to ensure that every student has a safe, productive and stimulating international and intercultural experience. The Education Abroad division also serves as the institutional host for incoming international exchange students. In addition, this division also sponsors study abroad fairs early in the Fall and Spring semesters.

Center for English Language and American Culture

The Center for English Language and American Culture (CELAC) provides intensive-English courses to non-native English speakers wishing to develop college-level proficiency in academic English in preparation for academic study or employment. CELAC offers five levels of instruction in the following subjects: Academic Writing, Academic Reading, Speaking and Listening, and Grammar. Students that complete full-time study in CELAC's highest Academic Bridge level qualify for the CELAC International Admission Pathway program and do not need to provide further proof of English proficiency for undergraduate study or for many graduate programs at UNM. CELAC also offers online English courses for TOEFL Preparation, Academic Reading and Academic Writing. Excursions, field trips, and a wide variety of recreational, cultural, social and educational events help the students learn about U.S. society and cultures as they interact with domestic students and community members. Classes meet Monday through Friday for four hours each day. For more information on this program visit the CELAC Web site, email, or call (505) 277-7540.

Global Programs

The Global Programs unit facilitates non-credit/non-degree high-quality and high-impact international education certificate programs for foreign nationals. The programs accelerate individual competencies at any level across a full-spectrum of focus areas including transformative leadership, innovation and entrepreneurship, business and economic development, engineering, science, research acceleration, medical simulation, and intensive English-language instruction. Programs can be custom-designed or participants may enroll in any featured open-enrollment programs at For more information, contact Global Programs at:

The Global Education Office is located in Mesa Vista Hall, Room 2120, (505) 277-4032. For more information, visit the Global Education Office Web site.

Other Resources for Students

Academic Accommodations for Students with Disabilities

In keeping with UNM Policy 2310, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the University is committed to providing equal access and reasonable academic accommodations to students with documented disabilities as necessary to ensure  courses, programs, services, and facilities at the University are fully accessible and inclusive., Students with disabilities are required to adhere to all University policies, including policies concerning conduct and performance.

The student is responsible for demonstrating the need for an academic accommodation by providing the Accessibility Resource Center with complete and appropriate documentation that establishes the disability, and the appropriateness of the requested accommodation(s). The University is responsible for all costs of academic accommodations.

Center for Academic Program Support

Center for Teaching and Learning: UNM's Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) is committed to increasing the academic success of all students. We do this by supporting learning from both sides of the classroom. For students, we provide academic support, skills, and strategies that help them succeed in individual courses and with transferrable skills that help throughout their entire academic careers. For instructors, we offer confidential consultations, workshops and other programs to improve teaching in both face-to-face, hybrid, and online environments.

For undergraduate students:

  • The Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) tutoring program offers academic support in multiple formats to meet student needs, with drop-in and individual appointments. The program is designed to support both STEM majors and non-majors, and supports a wide array of courses in math, economics and statistics, biology, chemistry, and physics.
  • The Writing and Language Center supports all forms of written and spoken communication through drop-in and individual appointments, the Online Writing Lab, workshops, and foreign language conversation groups for 12 languages at UNM. Tutors offer support at any stage of the writing process and on many genres of writing encountered in undergraduate coursework.
  • The Supplemental Instruction (SI) program is peer-assisted collaborative learning outside the classroom for historically difficult courses. Approximately 20 courses are supported by SI tutors each semester. SI Leaders work with faculty and attend all class sessions to keep up with the course material. They then hold sessions for students to discuss concepts, compare notes, learn key study strategies, gain a deeper understanding of the content, prepare for exams, and collaborate with classmates.
  • The Learning Strategies program helps students create individualized plans for success with assistance in study skills, note taking, test taking, time management, and metacognition. Peer tutors offer support via drop-in and individual appointments and weekly live or on-demand workshops.
  • Online learning support includes embedded tutoring for online courses, online drop-in tutoring, the Online Writing Lab (OWL), and academic resources available through our YouTube channel. The CTL has created an Online Learning Center that mirrors in-person support services.

Students may seek support for over 800 courses taken at UNM.

For graduate students:

The Graduate Resource Center (GRC) offers support for graduate students through individual consultations in writing and statistics, workshops on academic and professional skills, writing support groups, thesis and dissertation writing camps, the Graduate Online Writing Lab (GrOWL), and dissertation and non-academic career coaching.

For instructors:

  • Confidential consultations on their teaching for all UNM instructors: faculty (tenured and non-tenured), part-time instructors, graduate lecturers, and graduate teaching assistants.
  • Workshops on a variety of teaching and learning topics.
  • Teaching Grants and Awards.
  • UNM Teaching Fellows program.
  • Two annual teaching conferences which are free and open to all UNM instructors.
  • Mid-semester feedback. Upon request, CTL staff will visit an instructor's class and conduct a feedback session with students and present the results to the instructor.
  • Graduate Teaching Academy certificate program for teaching assistants who want further training in college pedagogy. Visit the Graduate Teaching Academy Web site for more information.
  • The Center for Digital Learning (CDL) supports instructors in designing and building online, hybrid, and web-enhanced courses. We provide both instructional design as well as media services to instructors and empower them to implement and assess evidence-based practices from the science of teaching and learning in order to support student success at UNM.

Most CTL staff offices are located on the third floor of Zimmerman Library. Services take place in Zimmerman Library, Mesa Vista Hall, Student Union Building, Humanities Building 309, Student Support and Services Center, College of Engineering, University Advisement and Enrichment Center, and other classrooms across campus. For more information, call (505) 277-7205, or visit

The Graduate Resource Center is located in Mesa Vista Hall, Suite 1057. For more information, call (505) 277-1407, email, or visit the Graduate Resource Center Web site.

Course Search:

Keyword Search:

Office of the Registrar

MSC11 6325
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131

Phone: (505) 277-8900
Fax: (505) 277-6809